This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    The topic could be viewed as a little confusing. I was mostly basing everything off of him being an every down back. I wasnt talking about when Felix comes back to relieve some of the pressure. Do I think Marion will still be as effective in three years? If used correctly, yes. I was just pointing out that he does indeed have a much larger chance to wear down than other backs. Just like all the smaller power backs before him that have had short careers. Marion doesnt have the body type to sustain these hits for a long period of time...I assure you he is feeling everything. You say he's breaking these tackles and not feeling anything from it? Not at all...everytime he lays a hit or breaks a tough tackle the guy is feeling these hits and Marion does get hit a lot. Because, of his style he takes on more defenders and thus takes more shots than other backs getting a lot more carries. If history tells us anything it's that these type of backs just do not last long. It's fact. They begin to get little "minor" injuries that just continue to wear them down in due time because, of their continued bruising style. It's been that way since the league was formed. My point I was getting at is that he is best used in a platoon. He'd be much more effective and would have a longer career...because, if he were to carry the load year after year, he wouldnt last.

As for his injuries to date...cracked/bruised ribs and a dislocated toe. Now, I dont think he's anywhere close to wearing down yet but, these type of injuries are the ones that end up killing the power back.
    I still think you are wrong about him being more injury prone because of his running style. Nobody is saying that he doesn't feel a thing. That's a major exaggeration MOTH and you know that nobody said that.

BTW, which RBs out there do you think have a running style that will allow them to encounter minimal injury? That's what I wanna know.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      BTW, which RBs out there do you think have a running style that will allow them to encounter minimal injury? That's what I wanna know.
      The guys riding the bench.

Comment

The weather definitely plays against our odds. I LOVE IT!!!!
        You're a mad man.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

Comment

I still think you are wrong about him being more injury prone because of his running style. Nobody is saying that he doesn't feel a thing. That's a major exaggeration MOTH and you know that nobody said that.

Every back gets hurt, regardless of style...but, Marion's style has proven to be one that wears down backs much quicker. There have been a long list of similar players before him and there will be many after him and they just dont last long. Now, Marion will have the benefit of being in a platoon so, if Garrett doesnt decide to run him into the ground or Felix doesnt keep getting hurt, he should be able to pro long his career a bit.

These backs never last that long and Marion isnt the type of guy that is going to lay off or hold back...he always says that he doesnt care about longevity, he wants to leave it all on the field. You gotta love that but, his style just doesnt lend itself to longevity. He'll be a great back for a couple of years yet but, i will say this...enjoy it while it lasts. Not trying to be a negative Nathan (HA) but, it's just the way things have worked for ever w/ these guys.
          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Moth used Brand Jacobs as an example of someone who has a better build to be a power back, yet Jacobs has been injured every year.

Maybe Barber is just a super freak that the league hasn't seen before :)

Comment

Every back gets hurt, regardless of style...but, Marion's style has proven to be one that wears down backs much quicker. There have been a long list of similar players before him and there will be many after him and they just dont last long. Now, Marion will have the benefit of being a platoon so, if Garrett doesnt decide to run him into the ground or Felix doesnt keep getting hurt, he should be able to pro long his career a bit.
              I don't see how his style is any more proven than compared to any other styles... What am I missing?

Comment

• You're missing years of evidence. haha. The guy is a power back who, while elusive gets hit a lot and deals out a whole lot of force himself. Just because, you see him dealing out some punishment doesnt mean he isnt feeling that as well. It all takes a toll. Power backs dont last long...there are exceptions to that rule, the heftier ones like Jamal Lewis and Jerome Bettis for example. But the very vast majority of power backs fade rather quickly due to their punishing styles. The same style Marion Barber possesses.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                  Moth used Brand Jacobs as an example of someone who has a better build to be a power back, yet Jacobs has been injured every year.

Maybe Barber is just a super freak that the league hasn't seen before :)
                  Yeah, let's hope he is.

As for Jacobs...yeah dude gets hurt all the time but, you cant deny that he has a better build for the style of play. That doesnt mean he will last either, though. There arent many Bettis' and Lewis' out there and Lewis runs hot and cold these days at 29.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Yeah, let's hope he is.

As for Jacobs...yeah dude gets hurt all the time but, you cant deny that he has a better build for the style of play. That doesnt mean he will last either, though. There arent many Bettis' and Lewis' out there and Lewis runs hot and cold these days at 29.
                    I actually think Jacobs is too tall. it's a liability for a RB IMO. His knees are constantly taking shots, more so than a squattier back like Barber with a low center of gravity.

I think Jacobs is more at risk to rip up his knees, which is the injury I worry most about.

Comment

Yeah, let's hope he is.

Jacobs has a bigger build.... but that doesn't make him more durable to hits. It makes him a bigger target. Plus he runs upright and doesn't have a huge thighs like a Bettis. People clean out Jacobs at his legs and that's where he gets injured most. He has a terrible body to take on hits.

Barber is more compact, plays lower to the ground so he won't sustain as much injury as Jacobs... and that has proven to be true.

Comment

You're missing years of evidence. haha. The guy is a power back who, while elusive gets hit a lot and deals out a whole lot of force himself. Just because, you see him dealing out some punishment doesnt mean he isnt feeling that as well. It all takes a toll. Power backs dont last long...there are exceptions to that rule, the heftier ones like Jamal Lewis and Jerome Bettis for example. But the very vast majority of power backs fade rather quickly due to their punishing styles. The same style Marion Barber possesses.
                        No I'm not. Because there are years of evidence for backs of all styles. If you're saying there is a history of RBs in general getting hurt, then of course there is data to back it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                          I actually think Jacobs is too tall. it's a liability for a RB IMO. His knees are constantly taking shots, more so than a squattier back like Barber with a low center of gravity.

I think Jacobs is more at risk to rip up his knees, which is the injury I worry most about.
                          Well, I'll agree and disagree. You do bring up a good point, though...he's like 6'4 and tends to run too tall still these days. But at the same time, he has about 40 pounds on Marion...with Marion, I'm not worried about his knees getting injured, though...just the simple wear and tear that comes w/ the running style. On the surface he could look fine but really, everything could just be broken down. It happens to the best of them and it happens to just about all of them.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Well, I'll agree and disagree. You do bring up a good point, though...he's like 6'4 and tends to run too tall still these days. But at the same time, he has about 40 pounds on Marion...with Marion, I'm not worried about his knees getting injured, though...just the simple wear and tear that comes w/ the running style. On the surface he could look fine but really, everything could just be broken down. It happens to the best of them and it happens to just about all of them.
                            That's what we're saying!!!

Comment

No I'm not. Because there are years of evidence for backs of all styles. If you're saying there is a history of RBs in general getting hurt, then of course there is data to back it up.
                              I know all types of backs get injured but, the nfl power back doesnt last long at all. Like seriously, almost all of them. This doesnt mean out of the league but more so, effectiveness. These guys arent suffering the major injury but rather, so much wear that they become a shell of their former selves pretty early on into their careers.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

That's what we're saying!!!
                                As in almost every power back.

Maybe Marion will be one of the lucky ones...like i said, he does have the benefit of having a platoon mate in the upcoming years. I even said, that I think he'll be fine if used correctly in the platoon but, there isnt a doubt in my mind that if he were to be our every down back...that he'd only have a few more really effective seasons to go. Just like all the power backs before him...a rather short life span of truly great/effective play.

I'd also like to add that I'm not exactly sold on him as an every down kind of guy. I mean he's good but, I dont know if I'd call him great as a 300+ carry guy. He'd probably put up Eddie George numbers...sporadic performances averaging at or just under 4 yards per. Which isnt bad at all but, I dont think he's the top 5-8 back some make him out to be. Not w/ more touches. He's been off and on this season. I like what he's done for the most part but, there have been games where he was no where to be found on the ground. He's fully capable but, I wouldnt say he's of consistant pro bowl caliber as a starter.

But dont get me wrong, he's one of my favorites. Just being a realest when it comes longevity, if he were to carry the load. I say realest because, history does indeed show they dont have long careers. And even though, I dont think Marion is a top 5 back or anything doesnt mean I'd want anyone else carrying the rock. I love his timely runs and closing ability...he's an extremely valuable player.
                                Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 12-04-2008, 03:18 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information