Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more post...Marion's injury hasnt healed up at all according to the lastest reports. It doesnt look good for Sunday and even if he does go, who knows what he can even do. Coleman will probably get the call up because, he's all we have and he knows the plays.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      You are right about Canty. I've been meaning to bring that issue up for a while now, but kept forgetting.

I think Canty is out, and Olshansky is in.
      Starting to look like a good decision we waited on him, but if we let Canty, Tank, and Spears walk then we REALLY need to address the D-line and/or figure out if we are changing to a 4-3 anytime soon before we start trying to draft future ends.

Are there going to be any more NT's available through Free Agency again?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I think we almost have to keep either Canty or Spears. I think we have to keep one and address the position in the offseason. Spears has probably had a bit of a better season than Canty, but I, for some reason, still feel that Canty will have a better career.

I think they resign Canty to a reasonable deal. His sub-par season should help the Cowboys keep his cost down. I think a 5 year somewhere in the neighborhood of $12-15 million. What do you guys think of that?
        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I say good 'ole Bill tops any low to medium range offer we give to Canty. I think Canty is a better fit for Bill's defense than he is in Wade's. I can see him excelling there. But if the price gets high, he won't be worth it to us.

I predict that we do dish out the cash for Igor, we keep Ratliff at NT and we draft a DE. There's our new DL. We'd really have an attacking 3-4 if we did that. It'd be like the Giants version of their Ace formation where they have 4 DEs on the DL. Key in the draft is getting a penetrating DE. I'm on Arthur Jones' bandwagon right now.

Spears and Canty walk. Tank stays.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
            One more post...Marion's injury hasnt healed up at all according to the lastest reports. It doesnt look good for Sunday and even if he does go, who knows what he can even do. Coleman will probably get the call up because, he's all we have and he knows the plays.
            I fully expect Barber to play. Just like Portis did against us. This game is too important.

Comment

I say good 'ole Bill tops any low to medium range offer we give to Canty. I think Canty is a better fit for Bill's defense than he is in Wade's. I can see him excelling there. But if the price gets high, he won't be worth it to us.
              You're probably right there.

I predict that we do dish out the cash for Igor, we keep Ratliff at NT and we draft a DE. There's our new DL. We'd really have an attacking 3-4 if we did that. It'd be like the Giants version of their Ace formation where they have 4 DEs on the DL. Key in the draft is getting a penetrating DE. I'm on Arthur Jones' bandwagon right now.

Spears and Canty walk. Tank stays.
              Interesting. YOu think we'll have to grab Jones in the 2nd round?
              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                You're probably right there.

Interesting. YOu think we'll have to grab Jones in the 2nd round?
                I'd be ecstatic to land Jones in Round 2. I have have some doubts that he'll actually declare and some doubts that he'll reach us. But it's still within the realm of possibility.

Comment

I'd be ecstatic to land Jones in Round 2. I have have some doubts that he'll actually declare and some doubts that he'll reach us. But it's still within the realm of possibility.
                  Reading some of the points being made I have a piece of advice -- make up you mind if you want a 3-4 or a 4-3.

I am on record as saying we have better 4-3 personnel, but if we plan on running 3-4, and being really good at it, we need some big improvements in the triangle.

I think a change back to the 4-3 would benefit most of our LB and DL -- even Roy Williams SS would benefit.

Comment

• D's right, anything in the low to mid level range we offer to Canty will only get one-upped by Bill Parcells in Miami, unless Canty takes the discount to keep playing here in Dallas. He's decent, and an average to (sometimes)above average starter, but not someone we need to be throwing money at to keep. I do hope we re-sign Tank Johnson though, i like having him come in on pass-rush downs fresh and ready to burst through. He makes one good play or two every game, so i like what i see. The fact that Dallas was one of the few teams willing to give him an opportunity after being on the outs should help us keep him for a good amount (in terms of dollars).

I'd love to bring in Igor Olshansky, but i'm not sure how much that will cost us. I don't know if we have the money to get into a bidding war for him. He won't come cheap, that's for sure. If we're looking for solid starters for cheap, we should just try to re-sign our guys.

LL mentioned it, and i thought about it yesterday while i posted. How would you all feel on a move back to the 4-3? We could keep Canty and all we would need is another every day starter at end. We play in alignments with 4 down-linemen extremely often, so i'm not sure this is such a far-fetched idea. Or since we already do a lot of four down-linemen stuff, i guess we really don't need to make the complete switch.

Also, i'm not liking the news on Barber. We need him close to 100% to be able to beat the Steelers. I don't think their offense will be that much of a threat, but if we can't score points, we're screwed.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                      Speaking of players on the outs...anyone see Tank coming back? He still could be had for cheap but, he could certainly astleast start elsewhere. He's probably gone.

As for Canty...dont hear his name much these days. Probably a flip of the coin if he'll be back but, I'd lean toward yes. He can be had for failry cheap as well, imo and I dont think we'll see a complete overhaul along the line.
                      Canty will be eaten up by one of the 3-4 teams unless we put a tender on him.

I don't anyone will forgo a 1st but 2nd for Canty -- yeah. No way you are getting a 3-4 starting DE in this draft for next year -- at least not with Canty's ability.

Say what you will but one of the reason Ware is so good setting the edge is he does not have to worry about his left side.... and that is Canty.

And in fact, unless I am mistaken, if you see where guys get off their big runs -- it is usually on Spears/Ellis/Spencer side.
                      Last edited by johnstonolb; 12-05-2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                        D's right, anything in the low to mid level range we offer to Canty will only get one-upped by Bill Parcells in Miami, unless Canty takes the discount to keep playing here in Dallas. He's decent, and an average to (sometimes)above average starter, but not someone we need to be throwing money at to keep. I do hope we re-sign Tank Johnson though, i like having him come in on pass-rush downs fresh and ready to burst through. He makes one good play or two every game, so i like what i see. The fact that Dallas was one of the few teams willing to give him an opportunity after being on the outs should help us keep him for a good amount (in terms of dollars).

I'd love to bring in Igor Olshansky, but i'm not sure how much that will cost us. I don't know if we have the money to get into a bidding war for him. He won't come cheap, that's for sure. If we're looking for solid starters for cheap, we should just try to re-sign our guys.

LL mentioned it, and i thought about it yesterday while i posted. How would you all feel on a move back to the 4-3? We could keep Canty and all we would need is another every day starter at end. We play in alignments with 4 down-linemen extremely often, so i'm not sure this is such a far-fetched idea. Or since we already do a lot of four down-linemen stuff, i guess we really don't need to make the complete switch.

Also, i'm not liking the news on Barber. We need him close to 100% to be able to beat the Steelers. I don't think their offense will be that much of a threat, but if we can't score points, we're screwed.
                        If Tank has proven anything to me in 2 years is that he is not a NT.

But sure as **** Indy, New Orleans, Cincy, Tampa are candidates for his services.

He will be cheap and Unrestricted I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                          Burnett/Thomas - James - Carpenter
                          Ware - Ratliff - Spears/Canty/Tank/Hatcher? - Ellis/Spencer

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think the biggest issue to consider is - what formation gets the most talent on the field? I'm not sure we're doing it right now with Ratliff at NT, but we're close. However, if Spears and/or Canty was showing us something in the 3-4 I'd be more committed to it. Right now we don't have the ideal personnel on the D-line because of these disappointments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            Burnett/Thomas - James - Carpenter
                            Ware - Ratliff - Spears/Canty/Tank/Hatcher? - Ellis/Spencer

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think the biggest issue to consider is - what formation gets the most talent on the field? I'm not sure we're doing it right now with Ratliff at NT, but we're close. However, if Spears and/or Canty was showing us something in the 3-4 I'd be more committed to it. Right now we don't have the ideal personnel on the D-line because of these disappointments.
                            I would be more concerned about our OLB corps with a switch. I think we have more than enuff personnel for 4-3 DLine

We would need the smaller, faster types at OLB -- and the closest to that are Burnett and Carp who IMHO are both big for 4-3 OLB. We would need to scour the U for some OLB talent.

Comment

• A dream offseason scenario for me would be, if Canty costs too much to resign, that we go after Albert Haynesworth with the intention of moving Ratliff to end in the base defense. That would be sick--even though there might be some chemistry issues and the price tag could be a little high. Oh hooray for dreaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                                A dream offseason scenario for me would be, if Canty costs too much to resign, that we go after Albert Haynesworth with the intention of moving Ratliff to end in the base defense. That would be sick--even though there might be some chemistry issues and the price tag could be a little high. Oh hooray for dreaming.
                                For me, I have a much bigger problem with Haynesworth being on the team than I did when T.O. was signed. All T.O. did was celebrate on the star, and it was never in a way I saw as disrespect. He didn't crap on the star, he didn't throw a spear into it, he just held his hands in the air.

Haynesworth assaulted one of our best players with a deadly weapon. 'Nuf said.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information