This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
    I'd also like to point out to my long-time colleague Trips that the 20+ carry range is likely coming at the end of games, when all we're doing is killing clock. Defenses are keyed into what's happening, so the stat is sort of misleading. The NFL is not a league defined by stats, but they can be useful. Anyway, good to see you back even if it's trying to tear down the Barbarian.
    I'm just catching up with all these posts...so sorry if I'm bringing up old issues...although it seems like my post did incite quite a discussion.

Long-time colleague Ward: we should also note that, yes you're right, Barber's average per carry does dip significantly in the 4th quarter (down to 3.5 yards). But that just proves what I've been saying. Remember, last year, I, and others, advocated that Barber was like our offense's "closer." That is, he was most effective at the end of the game when defenses were worn down. In the 4th quarter last year, he averaged 4.9 yards (which drops to 3.7 within 7 minutes; however that average this year is at 3.2). I think we can all say that it is clear Barber, and many other backs, are better when they're fresh. But there are some, who are considered workhorses, who are just as good on their 21-30th carries.

I'll provide the back's name, and the difference in average between his 11-20th carries and the 21-30th carries:

Peterson: +1.4
    Portis: +1.2
    Turner: +.5
    T. Jones: -.3
    Forte: -.2
    C. Johnson: +2.3

I've got to run to dinner, and I hope to address some of your other arguments later, but I hope that this solves some of the issues you had with my earlier post.

PS. I actually meant this post in no way to bash Barber--rather to bash the coaching staff for utilizing him incorrectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
      A dream offseason scenario for me would be, if Canty costs too much to resign, that we go after Albert Haynesworth with the intention of moving Ratliff to end in the base defense. That would be sick--even though there might be some chemistry issues and the price tag could be a little high. Oh hooray for dreaming.
      Since we're dreaming how about I get to line up at QB behind Gurode and lead us to a win over Pittsburgh this weekend! Woooo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
        Burnett/Thomas - James - Carpenter
        Ware - Ratliff - Spears/Canty/Tank/Hatcher? - Ellis/Spencer

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think the biggest issue to consider is - what formation gets the most talent on the field? I'm not sure we're doing it right now with Ratliff at NT, but we're close. However, if Spears and/or Canty was showing us something in the 3-4 I'd be more committed to it. Right now we don't have the ideal personnel on the D-line because of these disappointments.
        Well this is assuming we let go of either Spears or Canty. We've done just about all we can with Spears to try to get him to be useful somewhere, but it's pointless. The only thing i'd be disappointed in a 4-3, is that we wouldn't be able to fully use Ware's full potential. He's in the perfect defense right now, and i think his production might slide a bit should we put him at DE constantly.

As far as talent being on the field, i want Ware, Burnett, Ratliff, Canty (talent yes, production, not so much), and Spencer. We could have packages where Spencer and Ellis lineup at the ends with Ware blitzing off one edge and Burnett dropping into a zone right in the middle of the field.

Again, this is all stuff that i'm sure the coaches have tried already, but despite our high sack totals, our pressure goes stale at many points in the game. It's not always a constant rush, like other teams.

Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
        If Tank has proven anything to me in 2 years is that he is not a NT.

But sure as **** Indy, New Orleans, Cincy, Tampa are candidates for his services.

He will be cheap and Unrestricted I believe.
        I don't care if Tank is not a NT. I don't want him to be an every day NT. He does enough for me to want to keep him on the team over guys that are inexperienced or lacking talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
          I don't care if Tank is not a NT. I don't want him to be an every day NT. He does enough for me to want to keep him on the team over guys that are inexperienced or lacking talent.
          I can't say I have been at all impressed with Tank's play. He is easily run on and is OK as a Pass Rusher.

Regardless, I thin after this year it is all about what Tank wants moreso than we want. His contract is up, he has been a good boy and he will want a payday that we should not give him IF IF we stay 3-4.

Some guys just fit some systems better and he was an excellent player in the 4-3. He would be well served looking at a 4-3 team with needs and get a decent contract. Cincy, Indy, Rams, New Orleans all come to mind.

In turn, we need a space eater at NT who can push two guys around.
          Last edited by johnstonolb; 12-05-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• I'll go out on a limb and say there is no chance we'll move back to a 4-3. One of the main reasons for this are Ware and Spencer...who if it all plays out right, will be the cornerstones of our defense for years. Ware would make for a great End obviously, but he is currently the best in the league at his current position...we have a consistant pass rush that ranks 2nd in the league in sacks, you just dont go changing up the scheme w/ that kind of production already in place, it just doesnt happen. We'll see some new blood built around Ware/Spencer more than likely. They arent that far away, a player here or a player there can make a world of a difference.

and as for Canty to Miami...they dont have a need at End w/ Merling, Langford, and Starks in place. They're well off.
            Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 12-06-2008, 12:47 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

• According to ESPN, Marion has been downgraded from questionable to doubtful for Sunday.

Choice has looked great with the ball in his hands, throughout preseason and his 30+ touches or so in the regular season. It should be interesting but, I honestly wouldnt be that shocked to see him play well if Marion cant go. It wont be easy though, against the league's best defense but, i certainly can see him filling in admirably. As for the passing game...conditions will be atrocious but, given the situation...we'll probably toss it a lot. Very hard game to predict here, I'm looking foward to it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                According to ESPN, Marion has been downgraded from questionable to doubtful for Sunday.

Choice has looked great with the ball in his hands, throughout preseason and his 30+ touches or so in the regular season. It should be interesting but, I honestly wouldnt be that shocked to see him play well if Marion cant go. It wont be easy though, against the league's best defense but, i certainly can see him filling in admirably. As for the passing game...conditions will be atrocious but, given the situation...we'll probably toss it a lot. Very hard game to predict here, I'm looking foward to it.
                Did we sign Coleman off the practice squad?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Maybe it's just me, but I'm seriously sick of hearing how all the experts say the "blue collar" Steelers are just gonna beat up on the flashy finesse Cowboys. Like on PTI yesterday they set the over/under for Romo's passer rating at 50 (both took the over) but Wilbon said it might be in the 60s. I just laughed. Seriously. I have a better question... How are the Steelers gonna score at all? I don't know if they can sustain a long drive against us because eventually on 3rd down Wade'll dial something up and we'll get off the field. I think the big factor in this game is turnovers more than the individual and position matchups. If we give them short fields it will be much tougher to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gribble View Post
                    Maybe it's just me, but I'm seriously sick of hearing how all the experts say the "blue collar" Steelers are just gonna beat up on the flashy finesse Cowboys. Like on PTI yesterday they set the over/under for Romo's passer rating at 50 (both took the over) but Wilbon said it might be in the 60s. I just laughed. Seriously. I have a better question... How are the Steelers gonna score at all? I don't know if they can sustain a long drive against us because eventually on 3rd down Wade'll dial something up and we'll get off the field. I think the big factor in this game is turnovers more than the individual and position matchups. If we give them short fields it will be much tougher to win.
                    Probably because our Run Defense is very soft. They can just run and win. On the other hand, teams can't run against them. Passing conditions will be poor. Home field advantage. Willie Parker is back. Ben may not be the greatest QB, but makes plays when they need it. They got it going. No doubt this will be a tough challenge. I'm so looking forward to this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano View Post
                      Did we sign Coleman off the practice squad?
                      We did. We also cut Quincy Butler.

Comment

• I still don't believe Barber is out despite today's report.

Comment

• I think they said he didn't travel with the team to Pittsburgh, I was really looking forward to seeing some smashmouth football in the 4th quarter with him.

At least we get a good look at another promising rookie in this game, it sure is alot to ask so I'm hoping he doesn't end up with a costly fumble but more then anything pass protection...We are about to see the difference with Barber out in that aspect the most, but I am excited about Choice even in a tough matchup I'm ready to see how he embraces this opportunity.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Barber was huge for this game....not because he was going to pound the ball but because he is a top 10 blocking back in this league....now we are forced to play a lot of 2 TE sets....not good...damnit barber

Comment

• We are not switching to the 4-3 anytime soon.....You don't take the best defensive player in the NFL and switch the scheme to fit other players....such he was a 4-3 end in college and rushing the passer every play would be nice.....but it's not happening....and if it does I will not be happy

Comment

• Another thing to discuss.....Canty needs to stay.....I know this was talked about last page....but I'm going to go with Rob here....it's no coincidence that teams don't run to that side often.....even when Ware is on the other side rushing....teams still don't go to his side...way to important to just let go...bring him back...he is a good player.....he is not the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information