Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Schefter reporting that Pacman's career could be over.

All from the dirty throw that should have been a 15 yard penalty on the Steelers. That special teams loser on their team threw his head into the ground.

Now I hate them even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
      Disagree and is what most "angers" me.

1) On D we had the position coaches who could have been promoted. Also that offseason, we could have pilfered a NE Position Coach .... etc.

2) On O, well we had Sparano and Lee.

This is at the heart of it. Jerry Owner hired Parcells to "rebuild" the organization and within 18 months it all was gone ... because Jerry essentially shut the door to them and went with a new Management Team. Wade/Garrett/Stewart.

Wade is a DC. With respect to attack versus not -- sure that is Wade's style like it or not. I agree the DC, space eater in the box mentality is not NFL complaint IMHO. You need guys who can play in space and the LB in the Parcells system are not that -- in fact I love the Capers/Leabeu scheme for today's NFL with LB who can move.

Again, what bothers me is GM purposely avoided internal candidates and did nothing to attract other guys with some "lineage" in the Belichick/Parcells world. So again, why hire Parcells to rebuild the organization then essentially get rid of them all via benign neglect and implementing a glass ceiling.

Based on what I see on the field, I think a WCO O and 4-3 D is our best option right now with the talent we have.

To me however this is a 6-7 year commitment. Not something you change 3 years later b/c ONE coach sucks. Get a better coach for the system but don't just blow it up.

WCO takes about 16-24 games with a smart QB. Assume Romo is that. We would need to go back to those Parcells OG and C who can move their feet in space and likely get lighter Tackles also. We have some of that type of talent on the team.

4-3 (not Tampa II) would take about 8-12 games. It would require Ware at DE and Carp at OLB ... plus we'd be short some OLB and DE Depth. I think the DBs are set. Our DEs other than Ratliff would become DTs and we have enough of those. This would take about 8-12 games to pick up.

But you need at least one year transition ... and a few years to see results in the playoffs.

Everything is hindsight now but in general I was good with Bowles being promoted as well as Sparano to full time OC. I didn't even think HC Meatball was a bad option so long as Meatball kept the "Organization" Parcells built in place. If HC Meatball failed -- promote Sparano or Bowles.

But it did not go that way. I definately hated Garrett as OC. He came from a top heavy organization where he coached for two years with MEDIOCRE results. Smart guy but what else?????? He also represents a HUGE change in O philosophy which requires more a Carson Palmer type than a Romo/Steve Young type QB.

The Parcells Organization essentially ALL got passed over or demoted (as was Sparano) and we brought in Stewart, Reed, Garrett .... then this past offseason when they bolted to Miami ... we brought in more retreads and had our GM picked off. This overhaul in MANAGEMENT represent new ideas that need different types of players.... as evidenced by the OL discussion and why it is not "as good" as last year.

So regardless of my feelings about which are better coaches or not or which systems -- I would STRONGLY PREFER this team to stick to a system on D and O for at least 4-5 years and ride out the talent we have while getting new talent that fits. This team don't need "New Strategies and Ideas" -- this team needs repetition and it needs to execute what exists in the play book ruthlessly.
      Well, I think you're wrong. None of the assistant coaches on D were capable of becoming the new HC of the Dallas Cowboys. I'd actually like to hear a few names? Bowles? Are you kidding me? He's not even a front 7 coach...he's a secondary coach. Secondly, who's he going to bring in to fill his staff? No one worth a darn would follow him! Third, he has no track record as a HC. He'd be an unproven commodity.

On O it would've been useless to make Sparano the HC. Who would take over on D? We needed a HC who could still allow us to keep the 3-4 in tact. The defense was the critical issue to address. What defensive candidates in the Parcells tree is/was out there who could take over this 3-4 defense? Convince me of a guy who could do it. Give me a name. Bowles???...Hellz no. Sparano? OK.... but who's the DC? Again... Bowles???...Hellz no.

Comment

• I wonder whether Wade is willing to step down to Defensive Coordinator after his HC tenure is complete(which means a further season as head coach next year)... It gives him less responsibility with the whole team but allows him to control the defense.

Don't know how he would react to being asked that. But it would be preferrable to keep him on D if he can get them playing like they have the last 4 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          Well, I think you're wrong. None of the assistant coaches on D were capable of becoming the new HC of the Dallas Cowboys. I'd actually like to hear a few names? Bowles? Are you kidding me? He's not even a front 7 coach...he's a secondary coach. Secondly, who's he going to bring in to fill his staff? No one worth a darn would follow him! Third, he has no track record as a HC. He'd be an unproven commodity.

On O it would've been useless to make Sparano the HC. Who would take over on D? We needed a HC who could still allow us to keep the 3-4 in tact. The defense was the critical issue to address. What defensive candidates in the Parcells tree is/was out there who could take over this 3-4 defense? Convince me of a guy who could do it. Give me a name. Bowles???...Hellz no. Sparano? OK.... but who's the DC? Again... Bowles???...Hellz no.
          Bowles/Pasqualoni/whatever. You are trying to tell me not 1 Position Coach on that BP staff could not get the job done? The same Bill Parcells who develops coaches left/right/center?

Parcells knows developing coaching talent and building teams as well as any GM in the history of football with maybe the exception of Bill Polian.

Regardless, I think you are missing the entire point. The point is the GM blew up the entire organization to feed his ego. The outcome is instability in the "Plan" and subsequently in the players required to execute the Plan.

I guess you feel these "problems" we have on O this year are purely accidental and not a result of Sparano leaving. Or for that matter that it took awhile, and lots of mistakes, in order to get the D fixed.

All these hiccups come directly from turnover in staff, just like turnover in management at any company creates problems, as well as potential opportunties.... but when you change routinely you only get the problems and never get the potential rewards

Comment

• In retrospect, one of the worst things that happened to us this offseason was Jason Garrett staying... Imagine if he takes the Atlanta job. They tank as Ryan can't possibly execute the ridiculous downfield stuff from day 1, especially with a rookie left tackle. (Benefits our playoff position) Also, we could've brought in Cam Cameron as our offensive coordinator instead of him going to Baltimore, although that would've been more of a longshot. Oh well.

Comment

• Well FWIW, I think we need a zone blitz Capers-type guy and a NT for the D in order to keep the Plan moving forward and a WCO guy to get the most from our talent on O.

We will struggle for a year but with our raw talent I think Jerry would celebrate a few SBs by 2013 so long as he keeps feeding those systems.

Comment

• So I was reading in the Giants forum and they were talking about the "blueprint" to beating the Giants. So, my question is: What is the blueprint to beat the Cowboys?

Offense: Don't let Romo get in the rhythm; collapse the pocket around him; press coverage and safety on top of T.O.; take the Witten and Barber completions, as eventually Garrett or Romo will force something to T.O.; as for the running game... you gotta hit Barber with more than one guy. Don't let him bounce things outside.

Defense: Attack the safeties and Anthony Henry deep combined with power running. Get Bradie James in coverage with your RBs or TEs.

Feel free to add anything else.

Comment

• Well I guess I'm the only one who has not given up on the Red Baron. Last year he was regarded as one of the best up-and-coming coaches (and everyone loved him here) in the league and our offense went from good to spectacular. We were the second best offense in the league behind New England-
                  He has had his struggles this year (especially in the first game against the Redskins) but don't forget that he had to deal with key injuries and Romo playing depressed.
                  So I'd stick with Garrett especially if our team will be able to perform in these final 3 games of the season and in the playoffs.
                  Last edited by Modano; 12-11-2008, 01:44 AM.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Our offense has been sporadic since the end of last year when teams caught onto Garrett's hackneyed playcalling and horrible game planning. He really doesnt deserve someone sticking up for him...he's been awful for a long while now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                    KO KNOWS

Comment

• I haven't given up either Madono. I think he'll adjust. I still want him as our OC. I don't think the team has executed as well this year. Our O-line should shoulder a lot of the blame. Just as much as Garrett, if not more IMO.

I'd still like to see him adopt some 3 step drops though. Get the ball into the play makers hands quickly.

Comment

• Anyone else hear the story of TO, Roy and Crayton having a meeting this past Monday with Garrett, expressing there concerns about Romo's favoritism towards Witten. Just heard it on Randy Galloway and Company, and apparently Ed Werdor is reporting the same thing.

Keeps getting better.

Edit: Link from the Star-telegram.
                        http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1088677.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                          Anyone else hear the story of TO, Roy and Crayton having a meeting this past Monday with Garrett, expressing there concerns about Romo's favoritism towards Witten. Just heard it on Randy Galloway and Company, and apparently Ed Werdor is reporting the same thing.

Keeps getting better.

Edit: Link from the Star-telegram.
                          http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1088677.html
                          I don't mind the meeting too much. Werder's spin though just pisses me off... Oh and HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! BSPN AND THE ROMO-T.O. FRICTION!!! OMG... This is ridiculous... Just saw it on the preview for Sportscenter.

Comment

• I will kill Ed Werder.

I hope T.O. scores 2 times this weekend and throws out a diss to him after the game.

Werder is such a little *****. He just lurks and tries to stir up drama. He's been doing it for years now. They should ban him from the ranch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              I will kill Ed Werder.

I hope T.O. scores 2 times this weekend and throws out a diss to him after the game.

Werder is such a little *****. He just lurks and tries to stir up drama. He's been doing it for years now. They should ban him from the ranch.
                              What's amazing is how Werder can discern this "animosity" T.O. has with Romo without even speaking to him in person. I laugh at that part of the story. But the best part is "according to a source who speaks with Owens' TEAMMATES" is the main evidence for the T.O. thinks Witten and Romo are making their own plays in the hotel room. LOL. Not T.O. himself, but his teammates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gribble View Post
                                What's amazing is how Werder can discern this "animosity" T.O. has with Romo without even speaking to him in person. I laugh at that part of the story. But the best part is "according to a source who speaks with Owens' TEAMMATES" is the main evidence for the T.O. thinks Witten and Romo are making their own plays in the hotel room. LOL. Not T.O. himself, but his teammates.
                                I think you are creating a false straw-man to mask something. Werder's report was multi-sourced and not pretty. You are picking and choosing what you want to read -- much the same critque you have of Werder.

Look at Bradie's direct comment on the issue. Smoke / fire. This is not the first time TO starts with his "MeMe" act and the team goes sideways.

Again, our GM is a moron. The minute Parcells said "him or me" ... TO should have found the front door.

Instead, we spent two years licking his ballz, enabling his "MeMe" and this year Garrett, Romo and Witten are now under the TO "MeMe" bus.

Frankly, I am sick of him and have said for awhile we are much better off without him.

In fact, we are overload at WR now with Austin, Williams, Crayton, Stanback and eventually Hurd.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information