This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    Gotta love those guys on Espn's 1st and 10 show. They said signing Mike Vick is a Jerry Jones' move...which is certainly true but, then they said...we'd sign him as a QB and by say week 10, when Romo faulters, Vick will take over as the starting QB and be the long term answer.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....Scott said he said he's gotten called by this damn show several times, right? I def. think he did the right thing by turning them down. What a joke.
    But bringing Vick here is not really a bad thing, imo. I think he could push Romo. I'm such a strong advocate for putting real pressure on him, that I would be ok with Vick.

We NEED a capable vet that can push him. With these TO cut rumors... does Jeff Garcia becomes an option? How great would it be to get Favre as a back up? :D

Comment

• I was laughing at the fact that they say he'd take over for Romo. Tony doesnt need someone to push him (atleast not a QB, maybe a coach)...that's not happening anyway, when he is making $67 million, no one is going to be a threat to take his job. Tony just needs to figure out what his identity as a QB truly is and Garrett is going to need to put him in a better situation then he's been in. I'm not worried about Tony...he said he's going to be more vocal, he knows that the team has problems and he needs to step up. I have faith in Tony. He's constantly an over scrutinized player who doesnt need to change all that much really. Garrett needs to step his game up more than Romo...who statistically has been a top 5 QB in this league for the last three years. Garrett isnt putting our offense in a good situation at all. People are pointing a lot of fingers but, Garrett deserves more blame then anyone for our sporadic offensive efforts. I really do question how deep his playbook actually is...I just love that Roy Williams was getting questioned by opposing corners why he was running the same routes over and over and just about every defense knows what we're going to do, week in and week out.

Garcia is straight West Coast, so I doubt it. Basically, the perfect west coast QB.

Back to Vick...our team has a huge chemistry problem as it is...why bring in another bad character guy? That is one of main reasons we're in this mess.
      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

I was laughing at the fact that they say he'd take over for Romo. Tony doesnt need someone to push him...that's not happening anyway, when he is making $67 million, no one is going to be a threat to take his job. Tony just needs to figure out what his identity as a QB truly is and Garrett is going to need to put him in a better situation then he's been in. I'm not worried about Tony...he said he's going to be more vocal, he knows that the team has problems and he needs to step up. I have faith in Tony. He's constantly an over scrutinized player who doesnt need to change all that much really. Garrett needs to step his game up more than Romo...who statistically has been a top 5 QB in this league for the last three years. Garrett isnt putting our offense in a good situation at all.

Garcia is straight West Coast, so I doubt it. Baically, the perfect west coast QB.

Back to Vick...our team has a huge chemsitry problem as it is...why bring in another bad character guy? That is one of main reasons we're in this mess.
        Speaking of something being over scrutinized... how about this team's overblown chemistry issues. Just because ESPN wants to make it a story, doesn't mean it is a story. I guess, I'm just not one to have my opinion molded by public perception.

As for Tony... I don't expect him to lose his job. I just want someone behind him that doesn't make him feel comfortable with the fact that he can continue to make mistakes and not have any worry about them. One thing about Tony is that he has become too good at simply brushing aside his mistakes. Making a mistake doesn't make him flinch anymore. ...and what happens? He keeps making them at an unconscious rate.

Look at McNabb... He never thought there was a chance in the world that he would lose his job to Kolb. ...and he played like a fool. After Reid made that thought a possibility, we saw a completely different McNabb.

Competition at any position is ALWAYS good. Brad Johnson and Bollinger do not present any competition and thus, we have a mistake prone QB. Romo's best season was arguably his first one when Bledsoe was 1 mistake away from taking back the starting job.

Maybe I'm trying to be too funny about saying Vick would be ok, but the fact remains, I believe we need some competition there and I don't think a rookie will be good enough to add some.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          Speaking of something being over scrutinized... how about this team's overblown chemistry issues. Just because ESPN wants to make it a story, doesn't mean it is a story. I guess, I'm just not one to have my opinion molded by public perception.

As for Tony... I don't expect him to lose his job. I just want someone behind him that doesn't make him feel comfortable with the fact that he can continue to make mistakes and not have any worry about them. One thing about Tony is that he has become too good at simply brushing aside his mistakes. Making a mistake doesn't make him flinch anymore. ...and what happens? He keeps making them at an unconscious rate.

Look at McNabb... He never thought there was a chance in the world that he would lose his job to Kolb. ...and he played like a fool. After Reid made that thought a possibility, we saw a completely different McNabb.

Competition at any position is ALWAYS good. Brad Johnson and Bollinger do not present any competition and thus, we have a mistake prone QB. Romo's best season was arguably his first one when Bledsoe was 1 mistake away from taking back the starting job.

Maybe I'm trying to be too funny about saying Vick would be ok, but the fact remains, I believe we need some competition there and I don't think a rookie will be good enough to add some.
          If Romo needs someone to push him...look at the coaching staff. That is their job after all, they should be trying to get the best out of him. This is on Wade Wilson and Jason Garrett more than anyone. Mccnabb's situation was completely different, he actually did have a legitimate shot to lose his job. With Romo's contract, he's not in jeopardy of losing his job...this doesnt mean he's dogging it at all, it just means that there really is no point in bringing in a back up to push him. That doesnt really make sense. Obviously we need a good backup but, that is not the reason why. We need one because, Brad and Brooks were awful last season and didnt really give us a chance to win when Tony went down, not because Romo is feeling too comfortable as a starter. Tony is a fine talent...if Garrett gets his stuff together, we should be absolutely fine. Now, I agree Tony may need to change his outlook on things...he's had some strange interviews as of late but, again that's something the coaches should be able to help him with. Even Aikman has been talking to him frequently this off-season.

The chemistry problems are not over blown. All of our guys have been calling eachother out or calling Wade out or calling Garrett out...Even Wade and Garrett are in a power struggle. We have a lot of guys that are not on the same page at all. Chemistry is a major problem with this team. There is no chemsitry and the distractions mount because, of it. This team is in a tail spin right now and changes need to be made.
          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

If Romo needs someone to push him...look at the coaching staff. That is their job after all, they should be trying to get the best out of him. This is on Wade Wilson and Jason Garrett more than anyone. Mccnabb's situation was completely different, he actually did have a legitimate shot to lose his job. With Romo's contract, he's not in jeopardy of losing his job...this doesnt mean he's dogging it at all, it just means that there really is no point in bringing in a back up to push him. That doesnt really make sense. Obviously we need a good backup but, that is not the reason why. We need one because, Brad and Brooks were awful last season and didnt really give us a chance to win when Tony went down, not because Romo is feeling too comfortable as a starter. Tony is a fine talent...if Garrett gets his stuff together, we should be absolutely fine. Now, I agree Tony may need to change his outlook on things...he's had some strange interviews as of late but, again that's on the coaches to help him out there.

The chemistry problems are not over blown. All of our guys have been calling eachother out or calling Wade out or calling Garrett out...Even Wade and Garrett are in a power struggle. We have a lot of guys that are not on the same page at all. Chemistry is a major problem with this team. There is no chemsitry and the distractions mount because, of it. This team is in a tail spin right now and changed need to be made.
            I can agree that the coaching staff needs to put pressure on Romo or coach him up to be better or whatever... yeah, that's a given. But he has to be receptive to what they are saying as well. As it is right now, he doesn't have to... Honestly, he doesn't. There's no threat to him. The coaching staff doesn't have options... they don't have an ace up their sleeve where they can say hey, Tony... if you're going to keep playing the way you're playing, then we're gonna sit you. I don't give a rat's ass how much he's making. He's just like any other highly paid player on the roster. If Roy Williams can sit in pass defense with his contract, then Romo can sit too if he doesn't take his job with the right approach.

You're right about McNabb... he did have a legitimate chance to lose his job. That's what I'm saying. Romo doesn't.

Am I saying let's put Romo's job in jeapordy? No. I know how much he makes and I know it doesn't make sense to replace him. But you're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm not wanting to bring in a guy to replace him IN THE LONG TERM. I want a guy who can go out there and spell him when he's getting all flustered. ...allow him to gather his thoughts and rethink things before going out there again. Obviously, by bringing up the names Garcia, Favre, Vick... I'm not talking about a permanent replacement. I've said repeatedly that I think we need a capable veteran back there. Key word.. Capable. Something Brad Johnson is not.

Oh.. and as I've said at an unconcious rate... Fixing the OL, will solve A LOT of it... 90% of this team's problems.

Comment

Sweet. So are you a Rangers fan too?
              Nah, although I did catch the occasional game at the Ballpark since it was so close to where I lived.

Comment

I can agree that the coaching staff needs to put pressure on Romo or coach him up to be better or whatever... yeah, that's a given. But he has to be receptive to what they are saying as well. As it is right now, he doesn't have to... Honestly, he doesn't. There's no threat to him. The coaching staff doesn't have options... they don't have an ace up their sleeve where they can say hey, Tony... if you're going to keep playing the way you're playing, then we're gonna sit you. I don't give a rat's ass how much he's making. He's just like any other highly paid player on the roster. If Roy Williams can sit in pass defense with his contract, then Romo can sit too if he doesn't take his job with the right approach.

You're right about McNabb... he did have a legitimate chance to lose his job. That's what I'm saying. Romo doesn't.

Am I saying let's put Romo's job in jeapordy? No. I know how much he makes and I know it doesn't make sense to replace him. But you're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm not wanting to bring in a guy to replace him IN THE LONG TERM. I want a guy who can go out there and spell him when he's getting all flustered. ...allow him to gather his thoughts and rethink things before going out there again. Obviously, by bringing up the names Garcia, Favre, Vick... I'm not talking about a permanent replacement. I've said repeatedly that I think we need a capable veteran back there. Key word.. Capable. Something Brad Johnson is not.

Oh.. and as I've said at an unconcious rate... Fixing the OL, will solve A LOT of it... 90% of this team's problems.
                The thing is, though...regardless of who you bring in, Romo wouldnt be pushed by a backup QB. Benching a struggling safety with a big contract is one thing but, benching or sitting your franchise QB, making $70 million is a whole other thing entirely...and frankly, Romo hasnt done anything to warrant being benched. Romo has some problems with ball security and his overall mentality toward the game can be questioned, with these latest interviews...but, these things can be corrected, Romo doesnt need to feel pushed or threatened to lead this team when we're struggling. What you're saying doesnt make a whole lot of sense...because, you're saying you want this backup so, we can sit Romo when he gets flustered? Who does that? The best Qbs can over come these things. Yes...we all know we need a reliable backup but, I dont understand exactly what you're looking for this guy to do. We need him just in case Romo goes down to injury...that's it.

As for the O-Line...yup, that is a major problem as well. Fixing it wouldn't solve 90% of our problems, though. Garrett has been hurting the team with his, at times, moronic playcalling and even when Romo has time to throw, our receivers were not always open. Now, a lot of that is on Garrett as well but, there were plenty of times where our receivers just couldnt get open. I'll actually give some of those receivers the benefit of the doubt, though with all the info coming out about Garrett and Roy and the playcalling. Obviously, you know where I stand. The O-Line had a lot of bad games but, Garrett hurt this team more. We also cant over look the chemistry issues here as well between, Romo, T.O., Garrett, Witten, and Williams. This unit has a lot more problems than just the O-Line. They're poorly coached, poorly prepared, poorly diciplined, and there is no trust. It's a mess.
                Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-11-2009, 01:46 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

The thing is, though...regardless of who you bring in, Romo wouldnt be pushed by a backup QB. Benching a struggling safety with a big contract is one thing but, benching or sitting your franchise QB, making $70 million is a whole other thing entirely...and frankly, Romo hasnt done anything to warrant being benched. Romo has some problems with ball security and his overall mentality toward the game can be questioned, with these latest interviews...but, these things can be corrected, Romo doesnt need to feel pushed or threatened to lead this team when we're struggling. What you're saying doesnt make a whole lot of sense...because, you're saying you want this backup so, we can sit Romo when he gets flustered? Who does that? The best Qbs can over come these things. Yes...we all know we need a reliable backup but, I dont understand exactly what you're looking for this guy to do. We need him just in case Romo goes down to injury...that's it.

As for the O-Line...yup, that is a major problem as well. Fixxing it wouldn't solve 90% of our problems, though. Garrett has been hurting the team with his, at times, moronic playcalling and even when Romo has time to throw, our receivers were not always open. Now, a lot of that is on Garrett as well but, there were plenty of times where our receivers just couldnt get open. I'll actually give some of those receivers the benefit of the doubt, though with all the info coming out about Garrett and Roy and the playcalling. Obviously, you know where I stand. The O-Line had a lot of bad games but, Garrett hurt this team more. We also cant over look the chemistry issues here as well between, Romo, T.O., Garrett, Witten, and Williams. This unit has a lot more problems than just the O-Line. They're poorly coached, poorly prepared, poorly diciplined, and there is no trust. It's a mess.
                  Well, Andy Reid did it to McNabb.... right? But then again, Reid is one of those rare Great coaching master minds out there, not afraid to play the sensitive card with his franchise QB.

You're right, the great QBs can overcome their frustrations, but I am not ready to annoint Romo as one of the greats... yet. We've already seen how his mental lapses have hurt this team. Right now he's closer to Jake Delhomme than Peyton Manning... when you're talking about being mentally in the game.

Are you understanding what I'm saying? I get the feeling that you keep referring to someone who I think will push Romo out of his job. I'm not saying that at all. Correct me if I'm wrong. You said, "The thing is, though...regardless of who you bring in, Romo wouldnt be pushed by a backup QB." Does that mean you think I want a backup QB that will push him out of a job? Or does that mean that you think the backup QB won't be talented enough to push him to be better? If it's the latter, then yeah, I don't want a guy who's not talented enough to push Romo because we already have 2 guys like that. What I want is a backup QB who can push up the competition at QB and help Romo to be more mindful that he needs to raise his game and be a better QB.

I also dislike Garrett, but sometimes it simply comes down to execution and Romo didn't do his part to execute the game plan at times. I can buy that our WRs weren't always open, but at the same time you can't say Romo always threw to the open receiever. He forced balls to TO and he forced balls to Witten. That's what he does. He's a gun slinger who takes chances... and the WRs aren't helping by saying "Throw me the damn ball!"

We both know by me saying the OL will fix 90% of the problems is just a figure of speech right? I didn't exactly calculate the percentages and break downs of it all. lol. The OL will fix a helluva lot, because when Romo has time to throw and the RBs have lanes to run in, this is one VERY happy team. Right now, you're being overly critical by saying this team is in a tailspin.

Comment

• I think we have a right to be critical and saying the team is in a tail spin isnt off base at all. They were an embarrassment this year...you dont want a hollywood team and that is what they were. Just one big soap opera...you may say that comes with being a Dallas Cowboy and you may be right but, that doesnt mean it had to unfold like it did. Everything happening out in the public. There is no chemsitry...fixing the line helps but again, this team has a whole mess of problems on the offense. You cant under value the chemistry aspect. This was a "happy" team when Garrett hadnt gotten figured out as a coordinator, it's not in direct correlation to line play. As soon as Garrett was figured out, everything got much tougher and everyone started pointing fingers at eachother. All the receivers hate Garrett and Romo has openly knocked him. There is no trust and no chemistry in this unit, if you can even call it that and again, the coaching has been abysmal. The players dont see eye to eye, the coaches dont see eye to eye, and management is divided on what to do. It is indeed, a mess.

As for the Qb thing...you want a Qb to come in and push up the competition without being a threat to Romo's job? What does that even mean?

And the Andy Reid/Mcnabb deal is one instance of this happening...and Mcnabb had fallen out of favor with the team. Mcnabb was no longer guaranteed to be their future...and if Kolb played well, they were ready to pull the plug on Mccnabb. This same thing isnt going to happen in Dallas, it just isnt. Tony is fresh into a new contract and still young into his starting career. You dont just dont sit him when he has a rough time out there. These are two completely different scenarios we're talking about.
                    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

I think we have a right to be critical and saying the team is in a tail spin isnt off base at all. They were an embarrassment this year...you dont want a hollywood team and that is what they were. Just one big soap opera...you may say that comes with being a Dallas Cowboy and you may be right but, that doesnt mean it had to unfold like it did. Everything happening out in the public. There is no chemsitry...fixing the line helps but again, this team has a whole mess of problems on the offense. You cant under value the chemistry aspect. This was a "happy" team when Garrett hadnt gotten figured out as a coordinator, it's not in direct correlation to line play. As soon as Garrett was figured out, everything got much tougher and everyone started pointing fingers at eachother. All the receivers hate Garrett and Romo has openly knocked him. There is no trust and no chemistry in this unit, if you can even call it that and again, the coaching has been abysmal. Players dont see eye to eye, the coaches dont see eye to eye, and managemnt is divided. It is indeed, a mess.

As for the Qb thing...you want a Qb to come in and push up the competition without being a threat to Romo's job? What does that even mean?

And the Andy Reid/Mcnabb deal is one instance of this happening...and Mcnabb had fallen out of favor with the team. Mcnabb was no longer guaranteed to be their future...and if Kolb played well, they were ready to pull the plug on Mccnabb. This same thing isnt going to happen in Dallas, it just isnt. Tony is fresh into a new contract and still young into his starting career. You dont just dont sit him when he has a rough time out there. These are two completely different scenarios we're talking about.
                      As far as chemistry goes... I'm of the mind that winning cures all. When you lose, everything you can think of becomes a problem. Chemistry is certainly one of them, but it's not the core thing bringing this team down, imo.

I will say this. I think TO needs to be cut. And I'm afraid that Roy Williams isn't as good as advertised. As in, I don't know if he would pick up TO's loss in production. No matter what anyone says about TO's attitude, the guy did come up big for us many times.

As for the QB thing... You see it all the time. It's not like what I'm saying is bogus talk. Titans brought in Kerry Collins, Cards brought in Warner, blah, blah, blah, we can go to the beginning of time. Wily vets who come in to provide depth, competition and veteran leadership. They weren't brought in to be starters, eventhough they ended up getting the job. Warner was washed up in NY and was there for Leinart's insurance, same for Collins for Young. We tried to do the same thing with Brad, he just wasn't up to the task and failed to perform when his number was called.

Simply put... Gimme a guy who will push up the level of play at the QB position.

You know what.. the name I still like is Jeff Garcia. He's no longer starter quality, but he's fiesty enough that he'll push the envelope. I know the whole TO thing... But if TO is gone, I like it. If TO is here... a guy like Leftwich would be great.

Back to Garcia... yeah, he's a WCO guy, but I believe so is Romo. Put him in a WCO and he could go down as one of the Great ones. 2010, Shanahan for HC!!!
                      Last edited by D-Unit; 02-11-2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I will say this. I think TO needs to be cut. And I'm afraid that Roy Williams isn't as good as advertised. As in, I don't know if he would pick up TO's loss in production. No matter what anyone says about TO's attitude, the guy did come up big for us many times.

I think he needs to be cut, also.

You know, Norm on the ticket looked back at TO's numbers and in his last 15 games (excluding the SF game that he went off), he averaging right at 50 yards per game.

I have nothing factual to back this up but I actually think the offense would be more productive with RW and Austin w/ Crayon in the slot. I'm not saying Austin is as good as TO, but I think he's got good speed and he is a solid route runner. I think it would take pressure off Romo so he could just run the offense and go through his proper read without having TO in the back of his mind.
                        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                          I think he needs to be cut, also.

You know, Norm on the ticket looked back at TO's numbers and in his last 15 games (excluding the SF game that he went off), he averaging right at 50 yards per game.

I have nothing factual to back this up but I actually think the offense would be more productive with RW and Austin w/ Crayon in the slot. I'm not saying Austin is as good as TO, but I think he's got good speed and he is a solid route runner. I think it would take pressure off Romo so he could just run the offense and go through his proper read without having TO in the back of his mind.
                          The problem with cutting TO is that he draws so many double teams. If TO is gone and they double RW, I dont think Austin or Crayton are good enough to win their battles consistently. Throw in injury concerns and I think cutting TO would be a huge mistake.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                            The problem with cutting TO is that he draws so many double teams. If TO is gone and they double RW, I dont think Austin or Crayton are good enough to win their battles consistently. Throw in injury concerns and I think cutting TO would be a huge mistake.
                            I don't have access to the coaches film, but I have heard it said on the radio that he is not drawing as many double teams as he wants you to believe.
                            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                              I don't have access to the coaches film, but I have heard it said on the radio that he is not drawing as many double teams as he wants you to believe.
                              He does.. The media just hates on him so they try to talk ****.

Look at the SF game to get an idea of what happens when you decided to leave him 1 on 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                                Why hasn't Austin shown you that? He's excell as a #2 WR, eventually you have to let your guys blossom, if Austin was a 1st rd pick everyone would be screaming to give him a shot, but it's like since he's an UDFA people don't have faith in him.

Yes he needs to be healthy but he's certainly got the straight end speed, and he's got an arsenal of moves to get open, and there is no reason to believe he won't improve on how strong he started last year, being a #2 is not too much to ask, and Crayton is a great slot.

Let's not forget we have probably the best dual TE's in the league, so if you double Roy what about Witten? What about Bennett? Austin? Felix? We have plenty of weapons, teams can still double who they want but we have more then enough people to make it work.

Look around the league, we have more weapons then 95% of teams offensively, losing TO isn't that big of a deal really, Philly is somehow able to move the ball up and down the field without ONE legitimate threat at WR or TE, so why don't they struggle?

That's why I think people make more of this then they need to, we will be fine without TO.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information