Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • There are some going points being made back and forth, but the main thing I get back to is the fact that it'll actually cost us money to cut him. It's cheaper to keep him.

    But maybe the cost is worth it???

    The sooner the decision made, the better.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
      Why hasn't Austin shown you that? He's excell as a #2 WR, eventually you have to let your guys blossom, if Austin was a 1st rd pick everyone would be screaming to give him a shot, but it's like since he's an UDFA people don't have faith in him.


      Yes he needs to be healthy but he's certainly got the straight end speed, and he's got an arsenal of moves to get open, and there is no reason to believe he won't improve on how strong he started last year, being a #2 is not too much to ask, and Crayton is a great slot.


      Let's not forget we have probably the best dual TE's in the league, so if you double Roy what about Witten? What about Bennett? Austin? Felix? We have plenty of weapons, teams can still double who they want but we have more then enough people to make it work.


      Look around the league, we have more weapons then 95% of teams offensively, losing TO isn't that big of a deal really, Philly is somehow able to move the ball up and down the field without ONE legitimate threat at WR or TE, so why don't they struggle?


      That's why I think people make more of this then they need to, we will be fine without TO.

      I think Austin has potential but he caught 13 balls ALL YEAR. TO is proven, Austin is a hope. Big difference IMO. Teams dont game plan to stop Austin, they do TO. Without TO we are average at WR. Again thats just my opinion. We do have alot of weapons but our last 4 games we scored 13,20,24, and 6. Hardly dominating.




      The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

      Comment


      • So, TO should be cut?

        Comment


        • Cutting T.O. would be a huge mistake...

          Almost as big of the mistake we made when we gave up our 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams and signed him to a huge deal when we could have gotten him for no draft picks as a free agent and paid him the same after he would have been overshadowed by CJ in Detroit for the rest of last year...

          People keep trying to say "Oh it will be worth it next year..."

          That move wasn't made for next year, it was made out of desperation for a superbowl push and we didn't even make playoffs.

          RW is a joke. T.O. is the hardest worker on the offense, like it or not.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            There are some going points being made back and forth, but the main thing I get back to is the fact that it'll actually cost us money to cut him. It's cheaper to keep him.

            But maybe the cost is worth it???

            The sooner the decision made, the better.
            a little less that 700k isn't a big reason on why to keep him or not imo

            Comment


            • Originally posted by thule View Post
              a little less that 700k isn't a big reason on why to keep him or not imo
              More like $9,000,000.00 to keep him or $9,700,000.00 to cut him...

              All of a sudden, it's a big reason.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                More like $9,000,000.00 to keep him or $9,700,000.00 to cut him...

                All of a sudden, it's a big reason.
                I'm just saying its a 700k dollar question...no matter what he gets his money....it's just how much do we give him to leave/stay

                Comment


                • TO or not TO

                  Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                  The problem with cutting TO is that he draws so many double teams. If TO is gone and they double RW, I dont think Austin or Crayton are good enough to win their battles consistently. Throw in injury concerns and I think cutting TO would be a huge mistake.
                  If we did not have TO in the game for one reason or another, I don't think teams will start out doubling RW until he can prove himself worthy in this offense.

                  Which means teams will be able to focus on our run game, which will cause even more issues offensively. (It is amazing what you can do defensively when you don't have to worry about putting two guys on a WR)

                  It is hard for me to say what the best option is with TO. I find it hard to believe Jerry Jones would actually admit his mistake and release Owens. To me, that would be tougher to digest than $700k.

                  That is why it is so imperative for us to bring in some character guys who can play, both in FA and draft. Guys that can offset the drama here and play through distractions.
                  2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                  - Cleveland Browns GM
                  - Dallas Cowboys GM
                  - Atlanta Falcons GM

                  Comment


                  • TO certainly still has some talent and can go off occassionally.

                    However, I do not believe he puts fear into a defense like he did even 2 years ago.

                    Look, he will be 36 by the time the season starts. He is going to hit a wall very soon. Maybe you get one more "decent" year out of him, maybe not. What if this year is that year that he hits the wall? He's never going to admit that his skills are diminished. What do you think happens when all that comes to pass?

                    I'll tell you what happens; TO will go off on everyone - scorched earth.

                    Burns336

                    He does.. The media just hates on him so they try to talk ****.

                    Look at the SF game to get an idea of what happens when you decided to leave him 1 on 1.
                    That game is an anomoly if you look at his last 20 or so games with the Cowboys.

                    NOrm on the ticket said yesterday that if you take out that SF game (poor defensive gameplan), he has averaged 50 yards per game in the last 20 games.

                    The fact is, he is not a $9 million WR right now. The question JJ has to answer is what is his level of play and is that worth putting up with his drama. I do not believe his play justifies the drama at this point in his career.

                    The reality is, guys, that he's just not an elite WR anymore. Is he still pretty good? Yeah, he's pretty good and will give you the occassional 170 yard 2 TD performance, but again, is that worth the headache.
                    In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                    -Douglas MacArthur

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by UTPATS View Post
                      If we did not have TO in the game for one reason or another, I don't think teams will start out doubling RW until he can prove himself worthy in this offense.

                      Which means teams will be able to focus on our run game, which will cause even more issues offensively. (It is amazing what you can do defensively when you don't have to worry about putting two guys on a WR)

                      It is hard for me to say what the best option is with TO. I find it hard to believe Jerry Jones would actually admit his mistake and release Owens. To me, that would be tougher to digest than $700k.

                      That is why it is so imperative for us to bring in some character guys who can play, both in FA and draft. Guys that can offset the drama here and play through distractions.

                      Look, we're paying on OC $3 million per year to figure that out.

                      There are teams in the league that are doing much more with much less. AZ was the only team in the championship round that had a better WR corp than Dallas.


                      With our OL, Barber, Felix, RW, Austin, Crayton, Witten and Tellus, if you can't be productive with those guys on your offense then we've got big big problems!
                      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                      -Douglas MacArthur

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        Look, we're paying on OC $3 million per year to figure that out.

                        There are teams in the league that are doing much more with much less. AZ was the only team in the championship round that had a better WR corp than Dallas.


                        With our OL, Barber, Felix, RW, Austin, Crayton, Witten and Tellus, if you can't be productive with those guys on your offense then we've got big big problems!
                        You are preaching to the choir bro. There are no more excuses that will appease me.
                        2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                        - Cleveland Browns GM
                        - Dallas Cowboys GM
                        - Atlanta Falcons GM

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                          TO certainly still has some talent and can go off occassionally.

                          However, I do not believe he puts fear into a defense like he did even 2 years ago.

                          Look, he will be 36 by the time the season starts. He is going to hit a wall very soon. Maybe you get one more "decent" year out of him, maybe not. What if this year is that year that he hits the wall? He's never going to admit that his skills are diminished. What do you think happens when all that comes to pass?

                          I'll tell you what happens; TO will go off on everyone - scorched earth.



                          That game is an anomoly if you look at his last 20 or so games with the Cowboys.

                          NOrm on the ticket said yesterday that if you take out that SF game (poor defensive gameplan), he has averaged 50 yards per game in the last 20 games.

                          The fact is, he is not a $9 million WR right now. The question JJ has to answer is what is his level of play and is that worth putting up with his drama. I do not believe his play justifies the drama at this point in his career.

                          The reality is, guys, that he's just not an elite WR anymore. Is he still pretty good? Yeah, he's pretty good and will give you the occassional 170 yard 2 TD performance, but again, is that worth the headache.
                          I disagree. He and Romo have combined for the most QB-Receiver touchdowns over the past 2.5 years

                          He's given us 25 TD's over the last 2 years.

                          We have two 9 mil/year receivers and we are talking about cutting the one that actually produces.

                          If he has only averaged 50 yards over the last 20 games, I'd hate to see what Roy Williams average is... like 25 yrd/game??

                          So we drop T.O. and what do we get? Roy Williams who is also a drama starter and a big mouth but without the TD's. We get a chump who has only played an entire season one time, has only gone over 1000 yards one time, and has never scored double digit touchdowns.

                          If we're winning, T.O. isn't a problem. We should be winning next year. If we're not, we've got bigger problems than T.O.'s mouth anyway. Let's not act like him talking is such a huge distraction that the team cant move forward.

                          Most of the players on the team love him and have his back. I'm sure he isn't affecting their play. It's a cop out.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                            Most of the players on the team love him and have his back. I'm sure he isn't affecting their play. It's a cop out.
                            If that was true this conversation and the media reports would not be occurring.

                            I think many players tip toe around him if they don't like him and keep their mouth shut for fear of the circus. The guys who like him simply are more vocal because their is no downside. Coming out "for" a teammate is rarely controversial.

                            With that said, just because the man is destructive does not mean some of his points are not valid. I find many of the guys "who support him" are saying they agree with his conclusions more so than saying "I like him."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              I disagree. He and Romo have combined for the most QB-Receiver touchdowns over the past 2.5 years

                              He's given us 25 TD's over the last 2 years.

                              We have two 9 mil/year receivers and we are talking about cutting the one that actually produces.

                              If he has only averaged 50 yards over the last 20 games, I'd hate to see what Roy Williams average is... like 25 yrd/game??

                              So we drop T.O. and what do we get? Roy Williams who is also a drama starter and a big mouth but without the TD's. We get a chump who has only played an entire season one time, has only gone over 1000 yards one time, and has never scored double digit touchdowns.
                              Don't get me wrong. I'm not a TO hater. All I'm saying is that when skill position guys hit that wall, it happens really quickly. I'm just really nervous about a 36 year old WR that has attitude problems because I think he's very close to that wall if he's not already there.

                              And I think you're being a bit harsh on RW right now. Let's give him a camp to get integrated.



                              Most of the players on the team love him and have his back. I'm sure he isn't affecting their play. It's a cop out.
                              And that's a big problem, IMO.
                              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                              -Douglas MacArthur

                              Comment


                              • Cowboys target Pendergast: Although no interview is scheduled yet, there remains a good chance former Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast will end up with the Dallas Cowboys. Wade Phillips is interested in adding Pendergast to the staff. First, Phillips has to see if the money is there to add Pendergast. The plan next season is for Phillips to call Dallas' defensive plays, but the team hasn't replaced departed defensive coordinator Brian Stewart.

                                http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...e=clayton_john

                                Article also says Drayton Florence got cut... Wonder if Wade makes a play for him...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information