This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canty in Washington. eww.

But anyway, I really question how we can even compete in say a bidding war over FAs. If nothing alarming comes up injury wise, Sean Jones is going to get paid and the Jets and Ravens can give Ray better offers. He's not going to take a pay cut and he will cost a lot.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      Canty in Washington. eww.

But anyway, I really question how we can even compete in say a bidding war over FAs. If nothing alarming comes up injury wise, Sean Jones is going to get paid and the Jets and Ravens can give Ray better offers. He's not going to take a pay cut and he will cost a lot.
      We have 10 million to play around with...add in another possible 4.2 million if the johnson/williams deals a cut...then all of a sudden you have 14 million in play room with uncapped 2010 season...I don't see anyone in FA we couldn't have a shot at really.

Canty didn't even play in our nickel package...I think it's funny that Washington wants to move him inside...but definately something I would be ok with playing them twice a year.

Comment

• like Thule mentioned earlier, I don't understand why we don't wait to pay Ware next year? We want him here, he wants to be here -- why run ourselves out of contention with some good FA's (Burnett, Canty, Sean Jones, Igor, Crowder) just so we can get him locked up a year early?

I'm afraid we're going to regret losing Canty to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
          like Thule mentioned earlier, I don't understand why we don't wait to pay Ware next year? We want him here, he wants to be here -- why run ourselves out of contention with some good FA's (Burnett, Canty, Sean Jones, Igor, Crowder) just so we can get him locked up a year early?

I'm afraid we're going to regret losing Canty to be honest.
          I've kinda thought the same thing. He's got one more year on his deal and with the franchise tag, we could keep him locked up for 2 more years after that.

What's the thought process behind the urgency to get it done now?
          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Haven't we learned our lesson by spending tons of money in free agency? I think that this year we just need to try and resign Burnett, Canty and Austin. Then maybe find a bargain at backup QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
              I've kinda thought the same thing. He's got one more year on his deal and with the franchise tag, we could keep him locked up for 2 more years after that.

What's the thought process behind the urgency to get it done now?
              Franchise tags piss players off. Do you want Ware upset at the organization? I sure don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                Franchise tags piss players off. Do you want Ware upset at the organization? I sure don't.

No, me neither.
                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

The raiders had no problem locking up Aso before FA but after the season when it was cap friendly...I see no reason while the Dallas Cowboys couldn't do the same.

Comment

Canty in Washington. eww.

The franchise tag for S is around $6.8M I believe. That's why the Browns didn't give it to him. Last season he got paid like $2.5, if I read correctly. I don't think the market rate for him will be anywhere near $6M, especially when teams consider the amount of injuries he's had.

If we give him $3.5-4M ish, I think that's fair. A 3 year, $9-12Mish deal is affordable... unless I'm totally off on this assumption on what his market value is.

Comment

• We dont have $10 million to play around with...we're going to have to assign multiple 2nd round tenders, Ware is going to get re-signed and eat a huge amount of the available cash, and then we have the draft class to sign.

Ware is going to sign an extension soon and it is going to kill the current cap room...that's just the way it is. Jerry has been talking about going cheap because, he doesnt want to hurt this team if/when the league quickly goes back to a capped year after 2010...atleast that's what he keeps saying. We've spent more than any other team in the past few years...eventually that catches up with you and this year we dont have much to play around with.

You realize Ware's base salary is under $1.5 million this year? He's going to sign that extension this off-season.
                      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Apparently Shaun Rogers wants out of Cleveland. Financially, is it possible for us?

Comment

• I dont think he'll get moved. I mean, he just signed there...that's a huge cap hit. He's still going to be that 3-4 NT with Mangini coming in, I'm sure they have no interest in trading/releasing him. If he wants to get traded, i think he is **** out of luck. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                            The raiders had no problem locking up Aso before FA but after the season when it was cap friendly...I see no reason while the Dallas Cowboys couldn't do the same.
                            You're right thule, let's follow the Raiders franchise model and hope for the best.

Comment

We dont have $10 million to play around with...we're going to have to assign multiple 2nd round tenders, Ware is going to get re-signed and eat a huge amount of the available cash, and then we have the draft class to sign.

Ware is going to sign an extension soon and it is going to kill the current cap room...that's just the way it is. Jerry has been talking about going cheap because, he doesnt want to hurt this team if/when the league quickly goes back to a capped year after 2010...atleast that's what he keeps saying. We've spent more than any other team in the past few years...eventually that catches up with you and this year we dont have much to play around with.

You realize Ware's base salary is under $1.5 million this year? He's going to sign that extension this off-season.
                              The beauty of NFL contracts is that they are not guaranteed. If Jerry wants more money to play with, then he has plenty of options. He could also restructure others. Being frugal is a smart tactic. Being cheap is not. I don't expect us to be trying to sign the market's best FAs, but I do think we can get one or two key guys.

Comment

You're right thule, let's follow the Raiders franchise model and hope for the best.
                                I forget who brought up the point but maybe Jerry wants to save money by signing Ware before the uncapped season. If he waits until then, Ware might get an A-Rod type contract, God forbid.

Whatever though... as long as he doesn't find his way to Miami back in Bill's back pocket.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information