Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even if they could figure something out for themselves, which I dont believe they can...we still couldnt afford him on our roster. It's not happening. Again on the surface, it's a nearly $10 million cap hit. He's still owed $15 million also. It's not happening. He's pretty untradable.

As for us...there are a lot of rumors but, I'm still not sold on the fact that we'll move Ellis. Certainly could happen but, I def. could see him staying. Most on here already have him out the door. May not happen.

and lastly, everyone seems to have soured on Spencer. He hasnt even had much of a chance, the guy is a talent. If healthy, I fully expect him to make a lot of good things happen this year. I dont think we'll go OLB too early.
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 03-23-2009, 08:51 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• I wonder if Dallas would have any interest in a Kassim Osgood. I'm happy with the young receivers as is but, I honestly wouldnt mind adding a big bodied, Osgood, for a late round pick if we needed to add another body to the position. At the very least you're getting one of the best ST players in the league. A good replacement for Davis atleast. Chuck him the ball a few times and he's happy. :)

The Chargers have put Kassim Osgood on the trading block.
      The team is reportedly hoping some team will offer a late-round pick. Osgood has been frustrated with a lack of playing time at receiver but has excelled on special teams, making the Pro Bowl after the 2006 and 2007 seasons

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• so whats the deal with Carpenter? words out you guys are actively shopping him. whats been his downfall in dallas? is he simply a bad fit for the 3-4? i always liked him as a prospect coming out of ohio state and was honestly a little worried when you drafted him. what do you think the cowboys are looking to get for him? could be be a good fit strong side in a 4-3 defense like the redskins. we have no real starting strong side linebacker right now and im intrigued by carpenter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
          so whats the deal with Carpenter? words out you guys are actively shopping him. whats been his downfall in dallas? is he simply a bad fit for the 3-4? i always liked him as a prospect coming out of ohio state and was honestly a little worried when you drafted him. what do you think the cowboys are looking to get for him? could be be a good fit strong side in a 4-3 defense like the redskins. we have no real starting strong side linebacker right now and im intrigued by carpenter.
          I think he would be better in a 4-3. He's shown some flashes. He's decent in coverage and has shown some ability to rush the passer.

His biggest issue, that can't be "fixed", is that he just isn't aggressive. He doesn't do well at all taking on blockers and simply being physical. He's very much a finesse player.
          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

so whats the deal with Carpenter? words out you guys are actively shopping him. whats been his downfall in dallas? is he simply a bad fit for the 3-4? i always liked him as a prospect coming out of ohio state and was honestly a little worried when you drafted him. what do you think the cowboys are looking to get for him? could be be a good fit strong side in a 4-3 defense like the redskins. we have no real starting strong side linebacker right now and im intrigued by carpenter.
            He was black-balled in Dallas. He will do well with a change of scenery and he can be had cheap.
            Kid can play but I like him WLB in a 4-3 personally.

Comment

I honestly think that he was a casualty of coaching scheme changes. Parcells really wanted him, but after his rookie year Bill was gone. So he didn't get the same type of love that he would have if Bill was still around. Also he changed positions multiple times in his first two years here. One minute he's an outside backer, then they move him inside, then back out again, and the cycle goes on and on. I had alot of hope for the guy because of the playoff game against the Seahawks. He was flying all over the field, and I was certain that he'd develop into a nice player after that. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case, and he's been bench ridden his career here. I think that Wade didn't like him outside(hence drafting Spencer), and inside was too crowded for him. I think he still has some talent though, and there's a small glimmer of hope that he can turn into something this year. Since Burnett is gone now, he's the most athletic inside backer on the team. Hopefully that can turn into something.

Now there is talk that he's afraid of contact. I wish I would've seen him play in the preseason to confirm that, but last preseason I got pretty busy. I really didn't get to see too much of the games so I can't help you out there.
              "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
              ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• I would not say he's afraid of contact. And you're right about his athleticism; he's pretty good in space.

He's just not real aggressive or physical. With his size and physical tools, he should be a very good LB in this league.
                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Carpenter is not out of here yet. The article said they have shopped him(past tense). That could mean the Boys tried to clear cap space to sign Burnett. Carpenter could provide the vital third down role that Burnett did. At this point it seems better to keep him until after the draft. He does not have much trade value if any. We have not asked the key question. Do the Boys have their eye on another free agent ILB? Who is out there?

Comment

• id personally love to take a chance on carpenter in dc. id give up a 5th for him but it might not even take that. let him and blades rotate on the outside with the hopes that carpenter works out that way we can address de and ot with our first and third. sounds like a change of scenery could be just what he needs and having a mentor like fletcher could really help his attitude.

Comment

• Compensatory picks...

We got an extra 5th and 6th for Jones/Reeves.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                        Even if they could figure something out for themselves, which I dont believe they can...we still couldnt afford him on our roster. It's not happening. Again on the surface, it's a nearly $10 million cap hit. He's still owed $15 million also. It's not happening. He's pretty untradable.

As for us...there are a lot of rumors but, I'm still not sold on the fact that we'll move Ellis. Certainly could happen but, I def. could see him staying. Most on here already have him out the door. May not happen.

and lastly, everyone seems to have soured on Spencer. He hasnt even had much of a chance, the guy is a talent. If healthy, I fully expect him to make a lot of good things happen this year. I dont think we'll go OLB too early.
                        I don't think OLB in the 3rd would be too early if ILB had been addressed and we had Rogers. Again, I'm just speaking hypothetically.

I was also making that a priority based on the assumption that Ellis had been traded for Rogers and we had no depth.

Comment

• http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...y/1102859.html

The Cowboys and Texans shared the Dallas market in competing football leagues in the early 1960s but never settled the matter of supremacy on the field.

They will get a chance this season. The Texans, who in 1963 moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs, will play the Cowboys at Arrowhead Stadium. The NFL on Monday granted the teams permission to wear their original uniforms and helmets from their inaugural seasons of 1960.

“Personally, that’s something I’m excited about,” Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said.

“Even though the Cowboys weren’t part of the AFL, their history is linked with that of the AFL and the Chiefs.”

Comment

• Dallas Texans vs Dallas Cowboys... Dallas is a winner no matter the outcome. I'm excited to see the Texans helmets on TV with current players

Comment

• After reading more comments from Jerry today, it has become apparent to me that my initial gut feeling on why T.O. was released was spot on.

Romo threw him under the bus.

I was skeptical about this being about other guys getting an opportunity. We basically run a pass first/heavy offense that give everyone a fair shot to contribute. T.O. had 1500 yards, Witten had 1000, and Crayton had 700 just 2 years ago.

We could have easily seen Owens 1100, Williams 1100, and Witten right around 1000 this year had they been given the chance.

Then Jerry comes out initially and says the decision to cut T.O. had nothing to do with chemistry and had everything to do with giving RW and Austin a chance to shine. I have no problem with this, but it wasn't the truth.

The truth is in this quote below:

"I think that sense I am quick to focus on that we want to do everything we can to have Romo play his best and made the decision to release Terrell," Jones said, "then I must have thought it gives Tony a better chance to play at the optimum for the Cowboys."

My feeling is that the entire decision on what to do with T.O. was up to Romo. Jerry basically said "Do you want him on the team?" and Tony said no.

Jerry also made a point to say he wouldn't trade Romo for anyone in the league.

Clearly this team is Romo's now.

My question to the rest of the Cowboy faithful is this:

Do you trust him to be the guy who carries the team on his shoulders? Do you think he can carry that load? Can he handle running the most transparent and media accessible team in the NFL, all while having a TMZ romance on the side? Can he be the same guy without Owens, or is he a product of Owens? Do you think he can be the leader of this team?

Remember, he is going to be asked to take the Cowboys to the playoffs in an improved NFC East, which is where he will need to be at his best. We get to play the AFC West, which should be a 4-0 sweep, yes I do think we should, not could, beat the Chargers. We also play a very tough NFC south, and we play Seattle and GB.

It's a tall task for a QB who has been reluctant to take on a leadership role and has struggled mightily in December, but this is the bed he made and know he'll have to sleep in it.

I'll still have my popcorn ready, but I'm scared. 7-9 scared.
                              Last edited by Burns336; 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• BURNS.....Great post....You hit the nail on the head. It was all about Romo. Also, to be successful Romo needs to have an improved and committed running game. Run to set up the pass should be the Cowboy motto. We have alot of money invested in the o-line. We need to allow them to attack the oppossing defenses. We should shoot for a 60% run to 40% pass ratio.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information