This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
    His struggle with speed and false starts. Neither of which are secrets. Flozell is still strong as an Ox so when he gets his hands on you he is fine and he has never had a problem in the running game.
    This isn't true. Now granted this is also on the LG...but we have been one of the worst running teams to the left side for the past couple of years. Half of this has to be on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
      I agree that age may have caught up with him. But he will only be 34 next month. That's not terribly old for OL. It's not that unusual for OL to play well beyond their early 30s. I think a healthy Flo will do a fine job for us.

I do agree 100% that we have to give serious thought to finding a replacement rather quickly.
      How many starting LT's in the league are over 33...I'd be willing to bet it's less than 25%

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
        His struggle with speed and false starts. Neither of which are secrets. Flozell is still strong as an Ox so when he gets his hands on you he is fine and he has never had a problem in the running game.
        Agreed, "Go With the" Flozell is still an excellent run blocker but his pass-blocking skills are in decline as he ages as mentioned earlier. And throw in the league-leader in false starts & you have to ask how he aligns on teh risk-reward ratio.

Yeah I know about being careful what you wish for as a Cowboys fan.... it's moot in this draft as Jerry Jones got another wild hair & traded the ranch away for WR Roy Williams so there's no 1st rounder. Kind of thought Pharoah Jerry I had learned from getting his fingers burned on the 2 no. ones pissed away to Seattle for FPed Joey Galloway, remember that debacle, Arrrrrgghhh, but I guess leopards don't change their spots as they say. So no ammo to trade up for one of the top OTs in this draft, Andre & Jason Smiths, Monroe & Oher all figure to be gone in teh 1st rd. if the contemporary draft trends hold....

Or is there? We're talking Dallas, right, the team with more draft day trades than any other 2-3 teams combined. It's just not draft day without : (A) the obligatory Jerry Jones interview (he will even elbow his son Stephen aside to get into the camera light which he loves like no other), & (B) a Dallas draft day trade. Never rule out Jones doing something exotic to get back into the 1st rd, I just hope he doesn't trade away anymore of the core talent to get there, I think that thought gives Wade Phillips sleepless nights.

Comment

• ESPN's Michael Smith reports that the Eagles have "engaged in serious discussions" with the Bills about LT Jason Peters.
          Peters wants a new contract (why he didn't get one before Marcus Stroud is perplexing) and may want out of Buffalo, but it's still extremely difficult to imagine them trading him right now. They have nothing remotely resembling a starting-caliber left tackle behind him. Perhaps the Bills would consider a draft-day trade if Michael Oher fell to them at No. 11.
          Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

I'd be jealous if the Eagles landed him, two bad we don't have the cap space or ammo to make it happen.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Where is everyone getting this Flozell is a good run blocker business...I haven't seen him dominate the LOS since Allen left...good run blockers don't need LG's next to them to dominate their opponite imo.

Comment

• So what is everybody's threashold on this Austin deal?

If the Jets want to give him $8 million up front and 2.5 per, do you match?
              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

So what is everybody's threashold on this Austin deal?

IMO we shouldn't match at all. A 2nd round return on a previously undrafted player would be huge in a draft where we lack a 1st round choice. On the other hand, this franchise has done a piss poor job of developing WR talent, so if they really believe Austin is the guy of the future, it might be worth paying. Will be really interesting to see if Jets use poison-pill language in the contract preventing us from matching.

Comment

• $2.5 million per year is nothing...Crayton's adjusted number comes out to $3.5 million per year. Miles may sign an offer sheet but, it's not like the Jets would throw a crazy amount at him. You can expect Miles to be back in a Dallas uniform. Seriously, as far as projections go, he's projected to be one of our starters...they're not going to let him go anywhere.

I will say this though, the actual value from our stand point would be outstanding. A 2nd rounder for an undrafted guy who hasnt done a whole lot in the league. That's fantastic...but, the actual likelihood that they would let him leave isnt good, even with that great value we would get back.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                    $2.5 million per year is nothing...Crayton's adjusted number comes out to $3.5 million per year. Miles may sign an offer sheet but, it's not like the Jets would throw a crazy amount at him. You can expect Miles to be back in a Dallas uniform. Seriously, as far as projections go, he's projected to be one of our starters...they're not going to let him go anywhere.

I will say this though, the actual value from our stand point would be outstanding. A 2nd rounder for an undrafted guy who hasnt done a whole lot in the league. That's fantastic...but, the actual likelihood that they would let him leave isnt good, even with that great value we would get back.
                    I agree that they don't want to let him go.

My question is what is the threashold? At what point do you not match?

What if his cap number would be $4 million next year? Can we even afford that?

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• His cap number would never be that high. Even Olshansky only counts for $2.9 against the cap this season. The 1st year of a new contract gives you flexibility....and really, Austin's production doesnt warrant a big contract. There is considerable risk involved for the Jets here...they wouldnt break the bank to add him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                        His cap number would never be that high. Even Olshansky only counts for $2.9 against the cap this season. The 1st year of a new contract gives you flexibility....and really, Austin's production doesnt warrant a big contract. There is considerable risk involved for the Jets here...they wouldnt break the bank to add him.

You're probably right.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

So what is everybody's threashold on this Austin deal?

I'd be very pissed off if Jerry matches. I just hope the Jets are dumb enough to actually do it.

Comment

• Suppose he Jets make an offer and we let him go...I saw on another site that the draft value chart would allow the Cowboys to package that 51 & 52 pick and parlay that into the low 20s.

Let's speculate on what might be there in the low 20s that we could go get? Maybe a LT? Maybe someone like Hicks?

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                              IMO we shouldn't match at all. A 2nd round return on a previously undrafted player would be huge in a draft where we lack a 1st round choice. On the other hand, this franchise has done a piss poor job of developing WR talent, so if they really believe Austin is the guy of the future, it might be worth paying. Will be really interesting to see if Jets use poison-pill language in the contract preventing us from matching.
                              Then do what at WR? There is no solid Wr prospects in round 2 otherwise the Jets wouldn't want Austin, so then were going into the season with Hurd as a #2.

I like picks as much as the next person, but I see no point in getting a pick when it just creates another need, and if we give him up and we blow that pick on whoever then it was even worse...We have plenty of picks, an extra 2nd is not getting us further along then just keeping Miles if you ask me.

Yea maybe we can go out and sign a vet, but I'm pretty sure Jerry intends on giving Austin an extension anyway...If Austin is gone like you said I don't trust us to develop another #2 WR, Jerry will want one of the big guys on the block and it won't work because we already have a #1 WR.

A 2nd is nice, but I don't see anything out there that we would do with it...

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Hey dont bash Hurd...people quickly forget that he was playing very well last season before being injured and was being used on the outside a whole lot with Crayton in the slot. I wouldnt count on it but, Austin could just as easily lay an egg when camp/pre season roles around and Hurd can have another strong one and things shift all over again. In all likelihood, Austin is the starter but, there is no guarantee that he is going to break camp as such. Even though Austin is getting a lot of love at the moment, things change quickly in this league and Hurd looked poised to break out last season. So again...Austin is the obvious favorite but, I wouldnt be surprised to see any of those three named the starter opposite Roy. Austin has all the momentum and the owner behind him right now, though...so it looks good for him. Hopefully, he earns it, though.
                                Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-08-2009, 06:37 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information