Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
    I just don't see why we now go and scrap the years worth of grooming we've done with Austin. Not to mention the fact that he and Romo have started to develop some chemistry and timing. Outside of Witten and Crayton, Romo has no solidified chemistry with any of our other receivers.
    It happens all the time. When an undrafted player hasn't panned out or couldn't crack the starting lineup after 3 or so years its time to let that player go, and for a 2nd round pick.... Please take him!!!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by crisco0710 View Post
      It happens all the time. When an undrafted player hasn't panned out or couldn't crack the starting lineup after 3 or so years its time to let that player go, and for a 2nd round pick.... Please take him!!!
      But then we put ourselves back at square one. It's not a given that we will take that 2nd and replace Austin. And if you do, it's a crap shoot to see if they pan out.

      Comment


      • The Jets gave up on their pursuit of Austin per Roto... No longer a need to discuss that...

        Comment


        • The Jets' courtship of Cowboys WR Miles Austin is "dead," according to a person with knowledge of the situation.
          So much for that flirtation.
          Evidently, the Jets came to their senses, realizing it would've been crazy to part with a second-round pick -- the compensation that would've been required to land Austin, a restricted free agent.
          The restricted signing period lasts until Friday, but as of this moment, the Jets are out of the Austin sweepstakes -- if you could call it a sweepstakes. The former Monmouth (N.J.) College star visited the Jets last Friday, fueling speculation that an offer sheet would be forthcoming. But he left without a deal, and he isn't going to get one, at least not from the Jets.
          It looks like the Jets are confident they can find a potential starting receiver in the first or second round of the draft. Now that they're keeping their second-round pick, it gives them some ammunition in case they decide to trade up in in the first round.
          http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...es-austin.html
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I think Austin has successfully created a mirage in people's minds that he has deep speed. He does not have raw speed that makes him some special player that fits a unique role. If anything, he was simply the # called to run that deep route. Fortunately for him, his number was called and to his credit, he connected on some of them. Let me emphasize.... he connected on SOME of them. He was never consistent at it. But his timing got better.

            The 2 things needed for a deep speed guy:

            1. Raw speed.
            2. Timing with the QB.
            3. Have your number called to run that route.

            Austin had 2 of the 3. The last 2. ...and he didn't have #2 until last year.

            He's not the most difficult guy to replace on the team by any stretch of the imagination. He ran a 4.52 40 at the combine for crying out loud.
            The guy runs away from defenders. I don't need a gun to see that. I can see with my eyes once he catches the ball. BTW, he ran a 4.47, the 4.52 is something that hit the tape.

            Regardless, I simply like what I see and it would be nice if he was given a real chance with some decent passes thrown his way. That means Romo not throwing up wobblers or under-throwing the post. Also getting him some crossing routes which he seems to do well with. If he can stay healthy and run his routes right.....

            Frankly he has not been thrown to enough in this offense b/c we seem to always have "other priorities" which was the problem ...... throw him 80-100 balls this year and I will guarantee you 1,000 yards and 60 catches.

            BTW, I am glad he stays this year. I hope he gets a shot and proves me right. Jets have no QB anyway so that was a dead zone for any WR. They think they can get Ocho Stinko for less.
            Last edited by herniateddisc; 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM.

            Comment


            • Incidentally, this whole discussion on Austin reminds me of the Elam discussion. Elam was/is a better Safety than Williams was even back then but he never got a shot all b/c he was UDFA. He became a Jets starter and now got a decent pay day in FA.

              Fact is there is tremendous prejudice v. UDFA even when you see them outplay guys drafted higher. We just don't want to believe. You can add Hatcher to the guys I think should start too -- but we wasted a pick on Spears who is not a DE but everyone so wants to believe .....

              Comment


              • I remember a play this past season where Miles Ausin caught a deep pass, and was ran down by a safety inside the 10 yard line, now if he had this blazing speed like some say, why couldn't he outrun the safety?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by crisco0710 View Post
                  I remember a play this past season where Miles Ausin caught a deep pass, and was ran down by a safety inside the 10 yard line, now if he had this blazing speed like some say, why couldn't he outrun the safety?
                  Um, not knowing exactly what play I can't really comment. Maybe the safety had an angle, maybe he off balance. No clue.

                  I also remember a few plays he ran away from people or took a 5 yard crossing patterns and turned into 20 yards in spite of being dead-to-rights in front of a LB or Safety..

                  I am not sure this "how fast is fast: dialogue is productive but he certainly gets separation and he seems much faster than anyone they have right now at the WR spot. Hurd and Crayton are slow. Williams is not a burner. Stanback, I keep hearing but I have never seen it.

                  Only time and passes will tell.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                    Incidentally, this whole discussion on Austin reminds me of the Elam discussion. Elam was/is a better Safety than Williams was even back then but he never got a shot all b/c he was UDFA. He became a Jets starter and now got a decent pay day in FA.

                    Fact is there is tremendous prejudice v. UDFA even when you see them outplay guys drafted higher. We just don't want to believe. You can add Hatcher to the guys I think should start too -- but we wasted a pick on Spears who is not a DE but everyone so wants to believe .....

                    Hindsight is 20/20.

                    It's always easy after the fact to make the right decision.





                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                    Comment


                    • Looks like it was just a "look see" until next year

                      The Jets beat writer for the New York Daily News, Rich Cimini, is reporting that a potential offer to Cowboys restricted free-agent receiver Miles Austin is "dead." Austin, who grew up in Garfield, N.J., visited with the Jets on Friday and told ESPN.com on Monday that he expected to hear something by midweek.

                      Dave Hutchinson of the Star-Ledger reported earlier this evening that the Jets may have simply wanted to get a head start on Austin since he's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the '09 season. As we discussed Friday, I think the Jets' personnel department may have had a higher opinion of Austin than the coaching staff.

                      If Cimini's report is accurate, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys can breathe a sigh of relief.
                      http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0...to-Austin.html



                      Probably just feeling him out to see if he is a FA by next off-season, now he can play out the year on his tender.





                      Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                        I just don't see why we now go and scrap the years worth of grooming we've done with Austin. Not to mention the fact that he and Romo have started to develop some chemistry and timing. Outside of Witten and Crayton, Romo has no solidified chemistry with any of our other receivers.
                        Why? He won't be here after this season? When he's a UFA, he's gone. We won't pay him market rate. Mark my words and remember who said it. I'd rather have the 2nd rounder.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          Why? He won't be here after this season? When he's a UFA, he's gone. We won't pay him market rate. Mark my words and remember who said it. I'd rather have the 2nd rounder.
                          So are you saying the whole chemistry thing is just underrated then?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            Hindsight is 20/20.

                            It's always easy after the fact to make the right decision.
                            Um no, I called it while he was on the roster. Please don't do that. I am not playing armchair QB. You are trying to discredit my points by fabricating a falsehood. Not cool.

                            I also called the 2007 Draft a disaster the very week it happened and it seems we are getting closed to it by the day. Again, not hindsight but FORESIGHT.

                            Elam is no star but it was clear to anyone willing to see that he was better than what they had back there. But again, when you have an entire staff more concerned with popular opinions, an inability to develop young talent and big names .... these things happen.

                            This off-season seems to be the first time the team is making a commitment to looking at the young talent.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              Why? He won't be here after this season? When he's a UFA, he's gone. We won't pay him market rate. Mark my words and remember who said it. I'd rather have the 2nd rounder.
                              You might be right but I hope you are wrong.

                              I just think he needs to stay healthy and real chance without all the JJ pressure to make certain players work who frankly suck.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                                You might be right but I hope you are wrong.

                                I just think he needs to stay healthy and real chance without all the JJ pressure to make certain players work who frankly suck.
                                I strongly believe were better with Austin as opposed to without him. Will he be here next year, time will only tell. I'd be willing to give him Crayton money, if not more if he puts up solid numbers this year.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information