This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    I know I'm a Longhorn fan and diehard at that, which is why I don't like to get into any Roy debates because my opinion will always be skewed and that's fine.

But at the same time there are still too many people clamoring over Roy and wanting to act like he's a below average WR and he's far from that...Roy had 23 TD's in his first 3 seasons, Boldin had 16.

If Roy isn't a legit #1 WR MOTH then how in the world does he produce 23 TD's in that span without ANY offensive line, no running game, no TE, and no other threat at WR what so ever?

For the record, Randy Moss, Greg Jennings(24) and Fitzgerald(24) are the only WR's I know who have topped that feat in their first three years...Now Roy has the best TE in the game and a QB far better then anything he has seen with a ground game to boot, and now people want to act like he can't make due, that's whats so funny to me.

Roy will EASILY score more then 10 TD's in 2009, I can't wait until we make a prediction thread...There is no logical explanation anyone could give me that explains how he could find the end zone so much with so little help, yet for some reason he can't do it here in a better situation...It's not like Calvin was around taking double teams for those 3 seasons.

MOTH I always hear you say "people are making him better then what he is", I for one know what he is, he's not Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, but he is CERTAINLY a #1 WR in this league and can score TD's like the best of them...If that makes me a homer for that oh well, but if Roy scores 5 TD's next year with 700 yards I'll take a beating for it all off-season.

So what he drops some balls, we dealt with TO's drops for years here, you'll take Braylon's drops for a 1st and a 3rd because of what he offers also...I find it hard to believe he has lost some talent level, there is no logical explanation for that, he was injured last year and is still not back to 100%.
    Roy has had one really good season. It's one thing to be a red zone/end zone threat but being a true #1 guy is something entirely different. You cant rely on him to stay healthy for one. He's only played a full season once in his career. But anyway, Roy finds the end zone and that's fantastic...we're all looking forward to him scoring Tds....but, unlike the Andre Johnson's, Larry Fitzgerald's, Moss', etc...Roy will completely disappear in games. He's a poor route runner with questionable hands and drive. And yes...the last two years, he does have a look of a player that is already on the downslide. Getting off the line slower, getting jammed easier, dropping damn near everything in Detroit. He greatly relies on his physical tools because, he is such a poor route runner. If they're deminishing he's not going to be very effective at all. He gets entirely too much love for having only amassed even 80 catches once in his career. I think the expectations are incredibly high and I fail to see how he is going to live up to them. I dont even see how he'll replace T.O.'s production, by all accounts we're running more...I remember seeing Burns say he would be disappointed with 1,100 yards and 8 tds from him...I on the other hand, would be ecstatic because, I dont think that is going to even happen. T.O. at 35 is better than Roy Williams right now. I certainly believe that and Roy hasnt shown anything to prove otherwise. He has been downright awful for the last two seasons. In 2007 he had a couple of nice games but, in sporadic bursts just like his entire career. I want Roy to do well, I really, really do but, this is not a sure bet or a slam dunk, and no, I dont see how you can say he is a legit #1 receiver based on his career so far. The Tds are great we're going to need them but, we're talking about a guy who caught over 80 passes only once, and amassed 1,000+ yards only once. Not to mention over a 5 year span, he only averages 56 catches a year...take out this season, and it's only 61. Roy has barely even been relevant since 2006....he has a helluva lot to prove in this league still.
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• You know what I want out of the WR position?

TOUGHNESS. PERIOD.

I want a guy who will willingly come across the middle and TAKE the hit (holding onto the ball of course). I want a guy who will block like no other. I want a guy who will run his route with precision. Gimme THAT guy in this draft. I don't care as much about 40 time, height, weight or even stats. Gimme a guy with fire in his belly who will put on his hard hat, get on the field, shut up and play without whining.

You wanna know who that guy is? Hint, he's not in the draft. He's right in our own back pocket.

His name is Sam Hurd. I think this season could be HUUUUGE for him. Much more than Austin, Stanback, Crayton or some shmo we draft.

Sam Hurd could be our own version of Hines Ward. IF he can return to good health. I really think highly of him. That said.. I'm talking about the current Hines Ward. The one who is the #2 WR for the Steelers now days.

Roy will have to be our #1 and make plays the way Santonio Holmes made plays in order for us to do damage this year.

If we can get Tate... he's our Nate Washington except better.

Comment

• Roy's route running was crisp and impressive when he first got here. He broke jams off the LOS and made some really nice sideline catches. That Roy made me happy.

Then he started griping about not getting the ball enough. Then we started losing. Then I saw TERRIBLE route running. Dropped balls. No effort. He was pathetic and he was so bad that the Eagles intercepted balls thrown his way because he gave up on the route, he wasn't in position to catch the ball.

So...all I know of Roy is that a happy Roy, is a good WR. An unhappy Roy is a terrible WR. That's the fact of the matter. Seemed to be the case in Detroit too, once they got Calvin. I see a trend there. That's why he left on fouls terms with fans and that's why Moth feels the way he feels about him. That's why the media is all over his back. Total justification. Total question mark.

Did we win the trade? That's yet to figure out.

Comment

• This may confuse some but, I still think Roy will help us...just not to the extent a lot of fans are expecting. Even at his best, I think it would have been real tough to replace T.O's production because, we should be running more. I see him being more compliment, than super star here. A more team oriented offense...this is why I said, I think we'd be fine with or without T.O. We can open things up more. So, I'm not trying to rag on the guy completely...I dont think he's a great #1 option at all, I dont think you can count on him to carry the team or rely on him extensively. I do however think, he can help aid in what should be a more cohesive, unified offense, if you get what I'm saying. This of course would bring us right back round to Garrett, of course. Roy may very well be a glorified #2 receiver but, under the right guidance, that could end up being just fine in our offense, I just wouldnt expect him to come in here and dominate the league in a fashion that he has failed to do consistently or even lately while in the league. I also wouldnt be surprised to see him completely bust here. It's not an easy thing to do...predict the future. haha. Again, I just think some are expecting way too much out of him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
            This may confuse some but, I still think Roy will help us...just not to the extent a lot of fans are expecting. Even at his best, I think it would have been real tough to replace T.O's production because, we should be running more. I see him being more compliment, than super star here. A more team oriented offense...this is why I said, I think we'd be fine with or without T.O. We can open things up more. So, I'm not trying to rag on the guy completely...I dont think he's a great #1 option at all, I dont think you can count on him to carry the team or rely on him extensively. I do however think, he can help aid in what should be a more cohesive, unified offense, if you get what I'm saying. This of course would bring us right back round to Garrett, of course. Roy may very well be a glorified #2 receiver but, under the right guidance, that could end up being just fine in our offense, I just wouldnt expect him to come in here and dominate the league in a fashion that he has failed to do consistently or even lately while in the league. I also wouldnt be surprised to see him completely bust here. It's not an easy thing to do...predict the future. haha. Again, I just think some are expecting way too much out of him.
            I don't expect him to have TO numbers. But I do expect him to have Michael Irvin numbers. Bust the 1000 receiving yard mark and end up with 7-10 TDs.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              You know what I want out of the WR position?

TOUGHNESS. PERIOD.

I want a guy who will willingly come across the middle and TAKE the hit (holding onto the ball of course). I want a guy who will block like no other. I want a guy who will run his route with precision. Gimme THAT guy in this draft. I don't care as much about 40 time, height, weight or even stats. Gimme a guy with fire in his belly who will put on his hard hat, get on the field, shut up and play without whining.
              Anquan Boldin is his name. IMO his complaints have been valid, but when it comes to playing the game, he comes with the heat every week.
              Last edited by Ward; 04-16-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                Anquan Boldin is his name. IMO his complaints have been valid, but when it comes to playing the game, he comes with the heat every week.
                Al Johnson was a better pick than Anquan Boldin.

at the time. :D

Comment

• Thumbs up to the Williams trade!

Comment

• What are you guys thoughts on J. Peters going to Philly?

Here's a couple of my toughts (Don't watch many Bills games so help me if I'm way off):

-I'm thinking he's a bit overrated. Not real strong individual pass rushers in the AFC East.

-Became a real lockerroom problem in Buffalo.

-Gave up a league high 11.5 sacks for a LT last year.

I'm not saying he sucks. He's certainly a good LT, but Moseley wrote an article Friday, I think, saying he's automatically the best LT in the East. He certainly should be in the conversation, but I think there's a lot of jumping the gun here. Will be real interesting watching him block Ware twice a year.
                    In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Peters

Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                      What are you guys thoughts on J. Peters going to Philly?

Here's a couple of my toughts (Don't watch many Bills games so help me if I'm way off):

-I'm thinking he's a bit overrated. Not real strong individual pass rushers in the AFC East.

If true, Mac, you nailed that one. Peters is overrated. I didnt think it was possible to give up more sacks last season than Kwame Harris (until the Raiders pulled the plug on him). Peters caused locker room problems by demanding to be the highest paid OT in the league, even when his game performance didn't warrant it. This is also called, speaking of Buffalo players, the Terrell "Gimme More Cap %age!" Owens flavor of locker room cancer.
                      Last edited by LizardState; 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM. Reason: enhancement

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                        Peters caused locker room problems by demanding to be the highest paid OT in the league
                        And you know this because? Better yet, how would you be able to judge any of this from where you stand?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I know you didn't ask me, but Peters issues are fairly well known. I don't keep up with the Bills and found several sources that discussed the fact that he had became a locker room issue.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                            What are you guys thoughts on J. Peters going to Philly?

I'm not saying he sucks. He's certainly a good LT, but Moseley wrote an article Friday, I think, saying he's automatically the best LT in the East. He certainly should be in the conversation, but I think there's a lot of jumping the gun here. Will be real interesting watching him block Ware twice a year.
                            I'll co-sign with you on that one. He's good, but far from great. I'll look forward to Ware abusing him whether he's playing RT or LT. He's got some talent to watch for, but I don't think he'd make much noise.
                            "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                            ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• This is from Bloggin' The Boys:

I also spoke to KC Joyner over the weekend about a couple of issues of note to Dallas. KC is finishing his research for Scientific Football '09, which will include run blocking and run defense metrics this year.

He told me:

-- New Eagles LT Jason Peters is a good tackle, but has struggled in the last two years to handle speed rushers. He gave up five sacks in 2007 (Flozell Adams, by comparison, gave up one that year) and 11.5 last year. "If you want a comparison," he told me, "I just finished looking at Dolphins tape. Joey Porter gave Jason Peters fits last year and he's the player closest to Demarus Ware in game. Speed rushers got to the corner very easily on [Peters] last year. I think he'll improve in Philadelphia, but that matchup with Ware will be interesting to watch."

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Peters is awesome. Put him with the Andrews brothers and the Eagles have a lot of beef on that line.

The NFC East is really scary this year. It's going to be a tough season for Cowboy fans.

I could see us going as bad as 7-9.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information