This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    We have some good defensive convo goin on in here. I wish I could quote everything and talk in detail, but I just don't have that time right now.

A quick sidenote I want to discuss with you guys: I'm probably the minority in this belief, but I think the Cowboys would actually benefit from converting to a 4-3 defense.

Ratliff is a beast, but he'd be an even bigger beast as a 4-3 UT. Ware is a monster regardless of where you throw him.

And a 4-3 front will help alleviate the issue at NT. Igor would make a very stoute 4-3 NT, as would Marcus Spears. I personally believe Spears could salvage his career as a 4-3 NT.

Spencer and Ellis can rotate at DE.

Your LB core could then be quicker and smaller, and do a better job covering those intermediate routes.

In the 3-4, you still need a true NT, you need another pressure DE, and you have issues at ILB. A simple switch to a 4-3 front I think solves a lot of issues.

And for those worried about this effecting Ware's versatility, I don't see how it would. Ware can be just as versatile as a DE as he would as a LB. He can still drop in coverage on zone blitzes, and you can move him along the dline like we do with Tuck. I see no reason why he can't do that as well.
    I'm pretty sure Jerry is sold on the 3-4. I would imagine he will not give up until he views himself as successful in building one.

Plus, even though most people think Ware would be fine where ever (I do), I don't think Jerry would risk it.

And I know this is still unlikely, but D has been pointing it out for awhile and the pieces are starting to fall into place for Wade to be demoted to DC.

I still have my doubts that Wade is that big of a *****, but you never know...

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
      I think they like him, and let's not forget about Salivii. He's a guy that was drafted in the 2nd round and started 12 games, I think, for KC. He has some issues and was out of football for a while, but word is he has matured and the coaches really like him.
      If he stays healthy Junior is a lock to make the team. His only competition was Anderson and he's out for a long while now. Dixon would either be a 5th end or would have to beat out Bowen. After the season Bowen just had...that wont happen. But again, if they like him enough and feel they can do it, maybe he's a 5th DE.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• It doesn't inspire much confidence with the fans when you have to go sign someone like Jonus Seawright to fill in as depth at the 2nd most important position on your defense.

It's just pathetic that some retread like Saivaii (sp?) and this fat whale we brought in is all we have behind Ratliff.

If he got injured, what would we do?

Comment

• Stanback is out again. Knee surgery this time. Per DMN....

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Saw that.

Bust.

He'll be back before the start of training camp though, so he'll still have a chance to show something.

Seems like a lost cause at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
              Saw that.

Bust.

He'll be back before the start of training camp though, so he'll still have a chance to show something.

Seems like a lost cause at this point.
              Too bad for him but who is surprised at this point? Another personnel adventure gone wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                Too bad for him but who is surprised at this point? Another personnel adventure gone wrong.
                The problem this creates is the perceived lack of WR's if Austin doesn't produce good enough this year which will prompt Jerry to ignore LT/NT once again and instead go after a skill position too early in next years draft.

Then we will be on year 5 in the 3-4 defense without doing anything to address the D-line weakness.

I see it coming already, haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  We have some good defensive convo goin on in here. I wish I could quote everything and talk in detail, but I just don't have that time right now.

A quick sidenote I want to discuss with you guys: I'm probably the minority in this belief, but I think the Cowboys would actually benefit from converting to a 4-3 defense.

Ratliff is a beast, but he'd be an even bigger beast as a 4-3 UT. Ware is a monster regardless of where you throw him.

And a 4-3 front will help alleviate the issue at NT. Igor would make a very stoute 4-3 NT, as would Marcus Spears. I personally believe Spears could salvage his career as a 4-3 NT.

Spencer and Ellis can rotate at DE.

Your LB core could then be quicker and smaller, and do a better job covering those intermediate routes.

In the 3-4, you still need a true NT, you need another pressure DE, and you have issues at ILB. A simple switch to a 4-3 front I think solves a lot of issues.

And for those worried about this effecting Ware's versatility, I don't see how it would. Ware can be just as versatile as a DE as he would as a LB. He can still drop in coverage on zone blitzes, and you can move him along the dline like we do with Tuck. I see no reason why he can't do that as well.
                  I see where you're coming from, and it's a good assessment. I think the D-line would really be strong if the defense was converted to a 4-3. Ware would be an elite, maybe even the best D-end in the league, and a Spencer/Ellis rotation would be nice. The big thing is that Ware is still best suited for a 3-4. He'd still be great at end in a 4-3, but I think him roaming in a 3-4 is a lot better for the defense. He can drop back in coverage at D-end, but with him standing up gives him that extra edge. If his hand was on the line, his drop off into coverage would be a second or two later than it would with him already standing before the play starts. Of course with a player like Ware, he would probably be great at almost anything. Hell part of me even thinks he would be good as a outside backer in a 4-3. Of course I wouldn't do that, but you get what I'm saying.
                  "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                  ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• None of us should be surprised with Stanback...but, good to get this out of the way now. It's a clean up, Burnett got it done before last season. If he's getting hurt with minimal to no contact, he wouldnt have lasted. This should atleast strengthen that knee up. Hopefully, it will hold up and put an end to his knee injuries.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Yea, Stanback is finished, the guy cannot stay healthy to save his life, and he is always missing valuable reps at WR which he really needs, I don't expect him to make any value what so ever with us and should be cut soon.

In other news, Calvin Watkins is reporting Ellis is on the block:

The Cowboys have reportedly put OLB Greg Ellis on the trading block.
                      The report comes from NFL Fanhouse's Calvin Watkins, who doubles as a beat writer for the Dallas Morning News. Ellis, 34, is due to earn $4.15 million in the final year of his contract. He's been sent him home from OTAs, so the team is serious about dealing him to open up a starting spot for 2007 first-rounder Anthony Spencer. They Cowboys are targeting the Bengals and Patriots, though the Pats are said to have no interest.
                      Source: nfl.fanhouse.com

We knew this was coming too as soon as we picked up all those pass-rushers, I'm fine with it, I know he's a great player but the constant whining and crying gets old...If you cannot accept your role you have to go.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I also forgot to add that Sammie Stroughter has been making alot of noise for the Bucs and they have been impressed so far, ideal slot WR, explosive return man, he was who I had pegged to us in the 7th and he makes so much more sense then the OU WR.

We needed a guy who could play the slot and take over Crayton's job in a year or so, Mannuel Johnson is an outside WR, and he can't help on returns, Stroughter would of been a great value pick for what we need in the 7th round.

Oh well, hopefully he doesn't go on to be a stud for them lol.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          Yea, Stanback is finished, the guy cannot stay healthy to save his life, and he is always missing valuable reps at WR which he really needs, I don't expect him to make any value what so ever with us and should be cut soon.

In other news, Calvin Watkins is reporting Ellis is on the block:

We knew this was coming too as soon as we picked up all those pass-rushers, I'm fine with it, I know he's a great player but the constant whining and crying gets old...If you cannot accept your role you have to go.
                          He'd be a loss, and maybe a big one if Spencer isn't the real deal. I've gone back and forth about him since last year. At one point I was so frustrated with his play that I wanted him traded. I understand a guy getting old, but his bitching in the offseason did him no favors. He still is a goo pass rusher though, and someone would need to step up in his place. Spencer has the tools, but can he put it together? Time will tell. I hope that something good can be had for Greg, but I'm not naive. It'll probably be a conditional late round pick. Maybe a 6th that can move up to a 5th, or luckily a 4th.
                          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                          ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• We should trade Ellis or maybe plus Pat Watkins for Chat Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by nrcirc View Post
                              We should trade Ellis or maybe plus Pat Watkins for Chat Johnson.
                              Yeah, and if we throw in Carpenter we can maybe get Carson Palmer too.

(** you do realise those are two players likely to not even make the 53 man cut?)

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                                Yeah, and if we throw in Carpenter we can maybe get Carson Palmer too.

(** you do realise those are two players likely to not even make the 53 man cut?)
                                I don't know, I'll bet we can get Chat Johnson cheap. Now, Chad Johnson might really cost us. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information