This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Actually he was a 3rd rounder, picked 11th in that round. 75th overall. I definitely expected him to provide good depth for us this year, with the possibility of him starting at OT or OG as soon as next season. Our LG situation is still in major flux. Not gonna happen now. Probably won't happen ever if you ask me. He was a BIG TIME reach in the 3rd. Nobody saw that coming. He was universally rated as a 5th round prospect. We just suck ass at drafting OL. William Beatty was the previous OL drafted ahead of him. We traded down and lost out on him. He'll probably be the Giants future LT for the next 10-12 years. Coulda had him... But nah. Just because we reached on a 5th round talent in Round 3, doesn't make him a 3rd round talent. We passed up on some damn good talent. Brewster is a career back up at best.
    Part of the problem we have had with drafting OL IMHO opinion is we have changed OL Philosophy 2 times in the last 6 years.

I have faith that over time if Houck is retained that the line play and talent will improve via trial and error .... regardless I did not agree we should have changed from the Sparano/Parcells ideal of fit, mobile, smart OL.

Comment

• I think we need to make a move and get some depth. Anyone think there's a guy out there that we could go get kinda like we did with Holland last year?
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on D'Quell Jackson in a trade from Cleveland?

Send them a second maybe or third and 5th....

Comment

• That won't help our OL.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I just saw this video on Chris Cooley's blog, is he talking trash or is this just good fun? http://vimeo.com/5787861

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
            12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
              Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on D'Quell Jackson in a trade from Cleveland?

Send them a second maybe or third and 5th....
              Cleveland loves D'Qwell like we like Ware. It won't happen. The future of our ILB position is fully entrusted in the hands of Jason Williams. Like the player, hate where we drafted him. Would've loved Rey more. I'd easily give up Williams, Brewster and a couple more picks in fact to move up 13 spots for Rey. Pure Disgust.

Comment

Part of the problem we have had with drafting OL IMHO opinion is we have changed OL Philosophy 2 times in the last 6 years.

I have faith that over time if Houck is retained that the line play and talent will improve via trial and error .... regardless I did not agree we should have changed from the Sparano/Parcells ideal of fit, mobile, smart OL.
                It's going to change next year once we bring in a new HC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                  I think we need to make a move and get some depth. Anyone think there's a guy out there that we could go get kinda like we did with Holland last year?
                  We could imagine up names until the moon turns blue. It's just too hard to start and end that kind of discussion. We gave up a 5th rounder for him.

It might be easier to pinpoint guys were are busts due to injury... kinda like Columbo. IMO, Columbo is by far our best OL. Parcells' one claim to success as far as the OL goes.

But you see why Brewster is now so close to bust status... We're already talking about finding another guy to fill his spot on the roster.

Comment

• I think it's unfair and highly premature to call him a bust, especially considering he wasn't taken in the first round.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

We could imagine up names until the moon turns blue. It's just too hard to start and end that kind of discussion. We gave up a 5th rounder for him.

It might be easier to pinpoint guys were are busts due to injury... kinda like Columbo. IMO, Columbo is by far our best OL. Parcells' one claim to success as far as the OL goes.

But you see why Brewster is now so close to bust status... We're already talking about finding another guy to fill his spot on the roster.
                      Dude Parcells turned around Flozell and Gurode's career also. Not exactly fair to just say Colombo.

Comment

Dude Parcells turned around Flozell and Gurode's career also. Not exactly fair to just say Colombo.
                        That's like crediting Todd Haley for turning TO's career around. Flozell and Gurode were already good talents and Parcells didn't bring them aboard. In fact, Parcells drafted Al Johnson... a Center, the year after Jerry drafted Gurode... a Center. Parcells' plan was to move Gurode to Guard. Thankfully, he realized his own mistake.

Parcells absolutely SUCKED at evaluating OL talent. He brought us Al Johnson, Ryan Young, Jacob Rogers, Stephen Peterman, Rob Petitti, EJ Whitley, Pat McQuistan, Marco Rivera, Stephen Proctor... am I missing anybody?

Parcells was a defensive guy, is a defensive guy, will always be a defensive guy. As far as finding us defensive talent, he did a great job. Offensively... can't really say half as much. Romo was Payton's suggestion. Witten came before Parcells got here. He did see something in Crayton and brought Terry Glenn on board. How bout "his guy" Julius Jones? He did bring us Barber, but he whiffed a lot on offense.

You are a guy who claims to call it like it is. Parcells was good for us. Not great. Great would've been at least a playoff win. But he was very good. Nevertheless, he had his share of flaws and even you have to admit that. Otherwise, you're not being honest with yourself.
                        Last edited by D-Unit; 07-28-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• I agree. Parcell's is a lot like TO in that he brings a lot of positives, but there are also some real negatives that come along with that.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                            I think it's unfair and highly premature to call him a bust, especially considering he wasn't taken in the first round.
                            Anything less than a 5 rounder, I consider a bust if they don't pan out.

Comment

That's like crediting Todd Haley for turning TO's career around. Flozell and Gurode were already good talents and Parcells didn't bring them aboard. In fact, Parcells drafted Al Johnson... a Center, the year after Jerry drafted Gurode... a Center. Parcells' plan was to move Gurode to Guard. Thankfully, he realized his own mistake.

Parcells absolutely SUCKED at evaluating OL talent. He brought us Al Johnson, Ryan Young, Jacob Rogers, Stephen Peterman, Rob Petitti, EJ Whitley, Pat McQuistan, Marco Rivera, Stephen Proctor... am I missing anybody?

Parcells was a defensive guy, is a defensive guy, will always be a defensive guy. As far as finding us defensive talent, he did a great job. Offensively... can't really say half as much. Romo was Payton's suggestion. Witten came before Parcells got here. He did see something in Crayton and brought Terry Glenn on board. How bout "his guy" Julius Jones? He did bring us Barber, but he whiffed a lot on offense.

You are a guy who claims to call it like it is. Parcells was good for us. Not great. Great would've been at least a playoff win. But he was very good. Nevertheless, he had his share of flaws and even you have to admit that. Otherwise, you're not being honest with yourself.
                              I am not saying they did well getting OL, I am saying Flo and Gurode were NEAR BUSTS when he got to Dallas and for that he deserves credit.

That is all folks...... no need to read anything else into the comment D.

Comment

Anything less than a 5 rounder, I consider a bust if they don't pan out.
                                Well, even if we assume that right, which I'm not sure I agree, the dude hasn't even signed his contract yet. Way too early for this D. Even if you turn our right, it's way too early.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information