Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything less that 5th rounder? ugh. I hate when people say Stanback is a bust. The guy was a 4th round project. It doesnt sound right. I'd reserve "bust" for 1st rounders and higher profile 2nd and 3rd rounders. I normally only use it w/ 1st rounders. That's just me, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
      I am not saying they did well getting OL, I am saying Flo and Gurode were NEAR BUSTS when he got to Dallas and for that he deserves credit.

That is all folks...... no need to read anything else into the comment D.
      Gurode was a 2nd year player when Parcells got here. Bust?

As for Flozell... I'll give him some credit there. Full credit? No. Some credit, meh... guess so. Not like Flo had a single's day worth of good coaching before Parcells got here. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        Anything less that 5th rounder? ugh. I hate when people say Stanback is a bust. The guy was a 4th round project. It doesnt sound right. I'd reserve "bust" for 1st rounders and higher profile 2nd and 3rd rounders. I normally only use it w/ 1st rounders. That's just me, though.
        For me, I find value in a 4th round pick. We have had a great deal of success drafting very good players in Round 4 as do a lot of teams. If we trade away a 4th rounder, I'm expecting a non-bust type player.

I can see some exceptions... ie. if we have multiple 4ths and want to gamble on a project (Stanback/Canty) though. So it's not so black and white.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          But you see why Brewster is now so close to bust status... We're already talking about finding another guy to fill his spot on the roster.
          HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course someone has to fill his spot. He's out for the season! You don't expect the team to go into the season with 52 men do you? They have to get someone to fill his spot, or else they'll be one man short for the season. Once again, do you think that Jerry and Wade knew that Brewster would get injured before taking him? These things happen man, and it's just a part of the game. If your boy Mauluga tore his ACL in training camp, does that make him a bust already? He's a rookie for goodness sakes. He hasn't had time to show anything before getting injured, so let's not make snap judgments on guys.
          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
          ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Originally posted by E-Man View Post
            HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course someone has to fill his spot. He's out for the season! You don't expect the team to go into the season with 52 men do you? They have to get someone to fill his spot, or else they'll be one man short for the season. Once again, do you think that Jerry and Wade knew that Brewster would get injured before taking him? These things happen man, and it's just a part of the game. If your boy Mauluga tore his ACL in training camp, does that make him a bust already? He's a rookie for goodness sakes. He hasn't had time to show anything before getting injured, so let's not make snap judgments on guys.
            Honestly, I know he's not a bust yet. I'm just overemphasizing the fact that the path he's on is one step closer to bust status. This is no minor injury. Out for the season before training camp starts is major injury. I understand it's not fair to blame Jerry, but ultimately he is the guy who drafted him. Fair or not. Life's not fair. So we basically drafted damaged goods. Had he sustained this injury in predraft workouts, he probably would've gone undrafted. So now we wait. ...and while we wait, he loses time developing his game. In this league, if you're not going forward, your going backwards. Then we are on search for his replacement. What if that is through trade? What if we give up a future pick for that replacement? Brewster finds himself lower and lower on the depth chart. What if that guy turns out to be very good? Brewster will only have a harder time to start. IMO, Brewster had a chance to fight for the starting LG spot this year. Not out of the gates as a starter, but later in the season take over when Kosier fails and Holland either gets hurt again or eats himself out of the league. I even had hopes of him being able to back up RT in case something happened to Columbo.

See you think it's just going to be 1 year and he'll be back to fill the same opportunities that he's faced with now. Well, my point I was trying to make (that you laughed at) was that the opportunities he had now to seize, may or may not be there next year at this time. We may fill his spot with another body... we may draft another guy or two at the same position in next year's draft...

Heck, Jerry might not even sign him if he now tries to lowball him because of the injury... and that would definitely spell BUST.

Comment

Had he sustained this injury in predraft workouts, he probably would've gone undrafted. So now we wait. ...and while we wait, he loses time developing his game.
              This is really flawed logic.

IF the kid can't play, your critique is right, but this is a non-sensical argument.

If any kid had been injured before the draft, it would have affected his status. So what?
              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Gurode was a 2nd year player when Parcells got here. Bust?

As for Flozell... I'll give him some credit there. Full credit? No. Some credit, meh... guess so. Not like Flo had a single's day worth of good coaching before Parcells got here. LOL.
                Remember the whole "we got rid/let go of Torrin Tucker b/c he was a bad influence on" Gurode discussion from 2006? Al Johnson starting ring a bell? He was drafted a year after Gurode to boot. 2002 for Gurode and 2003 for Al Johnson.

No, all indications by end of season 2005 was Gurode was going to be a bust but he got turned around when shifted to Center and they sent Tucker to Tampa in 2006.
                Last edited by herniateddisc; 07-28-2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I know he's not a bust yet. I'm just overemphasizing the fact that the path he's on is one step closer to bust status. This is no minor injury. Out for the season before training camp starts is major injury. I understand it's not fair to blame Jerry, but ultimately he is the guy who drafted him. Fair or not. Life's not fair. So we basically drafted damaged goods. Had he sustained this injury in predraft workouts, he probably would've gone undrafted. So now we wait. ...and while we wait, he loses time developing his game. In this league, if you're not going forward, your going backwards. Then we are on search for his replacement. What if that is through trade? What if we give up a future pick for that replacement? Brewster finds himself lower and lower on the depth chart. What if that guy turns out to be very good? Brewster will only have a harder time to start. IMO, Brewster had a chance to fight for the starting LG spot this year. Not out of the gates as a starter, but later in the season take over when Kosier fails and Holland either gets hurt again or eats himself out of the league. I even had hopes of him being able to back up RT in case something happened to Columbo.

See you think it's just going to be 1 year and he'll be back to fill the same opportunities that he's faced with now. Well, my point I was trying to make (that you laughed at) was that the opportunities he had now to seize, may or may not be there next year at this time. We may fill his spot with another body... we may draft another guy or two at the same position in next year's draft...

Heck, Jerry might not even sign him if he now tries to lowball him because of the injury... and that would definitely spell BUST.
                  The thing is that we're dealing in "what ifs" here. I know it's a major injury, but I cannot overstate the fact that he's a rookie. Rookies don't get one year leashes. It's a sizable setback, but it's not the end of the world for him. You're thinking too far ahead by thinking he'll be the guy when Kosier and Holland fails. How is it a foregone conclusion that they'll both fail? Kosier is much better than people give him credit for, and he is probably going to start again unless Holland edges him out. What about these two make you think they're automatically going to suck? I have a ton of faith in Kosier, and I think us knee jerk Cowboys are way too hard on him. Holland has talent and starting experience, so if he doesn't win the job he's already giving good depth in case Kosier or Davis goes out. We wanted guard depth just in case, and having two starting caliber guys with plenty of experience is the right way to go. Holland is leaps and bounds the better backup option than Brewster right now.

The only way Brewster was going to get on the field is if Davis and/or Kosier/Holland got hurt. If Davis gets hurt then that's already a huge blow anyway, and I would bet that the coaching staff would trust Kosier or Holland to replace Davis over a rookie. If Columbo goes down, have we forgotten that Kosier has started many games at tackle before? He can slide over there while Holland takes the other spot, and I actually think they'd put McQuistan or Free over there since they've got more experience in the system. Brewster was going to be an emergency guy for now, and I bet they weren't planning on using him until 2010 and further on. Unless Brewster was a beast, any situation to where he gets playing time was going to be a bad bet. Either someone else sucks, or there is an injury. I hope the guy is talented, and I hate the fact that he's gotten injured. I just think we need to calm down before choking some hookers.
                  "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                  ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                    This is really flawed logic.

IF the kid can't play, your critique is right, but this is a non-sensical argument.

If any kid had been injured before the draft, it would have affected his status. So what?
                    So what I'm saying is we wasted the pick on Brewster, when we could've used it some other way that could've helped us more. There's no way that is flawed logic... because he IS out for the season. We don't draft him if we know he'd be in this situation. The situation is unkind. Unfair. But it is undeniable. Someone has to take the blame and that man is Jerry.

Comment

• First practice tomorrow. hooray. Everyone is good to go except Tim Anderson and Stephen Hodge. That includes Stanback and Folk who have been cleared to do everything. I'm excited. We're getting close.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

Comment

• I'm sure most of you read everything on DMN...but interesting FO stats that came up.

When newman came back to the lineup we had the #2 pass defense in the NFL!

With the adjusted sack stat they compile we sacked the QB a league high 9.9% of time he dropped back. That number is staggering to me. That is awesome...We can only expect the same this year without Stewart's tool self in the way. Sounds crazy to say and goes against the norm...but I think it's realistic based on what has happened in the offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                          I'm sure most of you read everything on DMN...but interesting FO stats that came up.

When newman came back to the lineup we had the #2 pass defense in the NFL!

With the adjusted sack stat they compile we sacked the QB a league high 9.9% of time he dropped back. That number is staggering to me. That is awesome...We can only expect the same this year without Stewart's tool self in the way. Sounds crazy to say and goes against the norm...but I think it's realistic based on what has happened in the offseason.
                          More reason why Newman is legitimately an elite corner. I've enjoyed watching him play so much here, and I hope it rubs off on the youngsters.
                          ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

• I'm very happy that Jerry was able to pawn off Henry for Kitna. Carson Palmer spoke highly of the things he learned from him during his days in Cincy.

...and wiping our hands clean of Henry is like addition by subtraction.

Comment

So what I'm saying is we wasted the pick on Brewster, when we could've used it some other way that could've helped us more. There's no way that is flawed logic... because he IS out for the season. We don't draft him if we know he'd be in this situation. The situation is unkind. Unfair. But it is undeniable. Someone has to take the blame and that man is Jerry.
                              You can't blame JJ for him getting injured. If you don't like the pick, that's fine, but to say it's a wasted pick BECAUSE now he's injured is using hindsight and that is flawed.
                              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                                You can't blame JJ for him getting injured. If you don't like the pick, that's fine, but to say it's a wasted pick BECAUSE now he's injured is using hindsight and that is flawed.
                                I know that is hindsight. But that doesn't mean it's not a wasted pick when you consider your decreased value on your return on investment. Maybe he still makes something out of his career. But the fact remains that he's out for his entire rookie season. Someone has to take the blame. Other GMs get fired all the time for making picks that don't pan out for whatever reason (injury to the players included). It's just that our GM doesn't have to own up to anyone except himself. But the blame is on him if Brewster doesn't pan out. ..and the blame is on him for making a pick that won't contribute at all in his rookie season. The blame is on him for making the pick on Brewster.

That said, if Brewster becomes a Pro Bowler, Jerry also gets the credit. I'm being fair on both sides. But right now, it looks bad on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information