This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by E-Man View Post
    More reason why Newman is legitimately an elite corner. I've enjoyed watching him play so much here, and I hope it rubs off on the youngsters.
    Newman was a Jerry pick. ...and even if Bob still wants to praise Bill to a fault that he blinds himself from the truth, the truth is that T-New has been a saving grace for this team and has lived up to every expectation. I'm really excited about our secondary this year. Should really help things in the Front 7. We should be among the top teams in sacks again if we can replace Greg Ellis' impact. You'd think a 3rd year 1st rounder in Anthony Spencer should be expected to do just that. Spencer is a Wade pick, imo. If he fails, that's on Wade.

Comment

• With the whole situation with Brewster, I just wanted to point out that the Patriots drafted Tyrone McKenzie in the 3rd round to play Inside and Outside LB for them, and intended for him to be an immediate impact player this year because it's a position of need for them.

They lost him for the season way back in OTA's, he didn't even get that far, and it stings alot worse for them because they expected him to play quite a bit this year.

Sucks, but I don't think anyone is assuming he is, or will be a bust already, maybe because it was a Belicheck pick people give stuff like that the benefit of the doubt, then if it happens to a Jerry pick people assume the worst right off the bat.

At least Brewster wasn't a guy we were going into 09 depending on playing a significant role, he could of used the reps but if he ever got into a real game we were in trouble anyway.

This makes me wish we had taken William Beatty or Max Unger even more now, but I just wanted to point out this happened with New England this year and I haven't really heard anyone pointing out how bad of a pick it was or that he's a bust already.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        With the whole situation with Brewster, I just wanted to point out that the Patriots drafted Tyrone McKenzie in the 3rd round to play Inside and Outside LB for them, and intended for him to be an immediate impact player this year because it's a position of need for them.

They lost him for the season way back in OTA's, he didn't even get that far, and it stings alot worse for them because they expected him to play quite a bit this year.

Sucks, but I don't think anyone is assuming he is, or will be a bust already, maybe because it was a Belicheck pick people give stuff like that the benefit of the doubt, then if it happens to a Jerry pick people assume the worst right off the bat.

At least Brewster wasn't a guy we were going into 09 depending on playing a significant role, he could of used the reps but if he ever got into a real game we were in trouble anyway.

This makes me wish we had taken William Beatty or Max Unger even more now, but I just wanted to point out this happened with New England this year and I haven't really heard anyone pointing out how bad of a pick it was or that he's a bust already.
        Nobody is bustin' Jerry's chops in the media about this. It's just our discussion here. That's all. To the rest of the NFL world, people don't even know who Brewster is and that he was a 3rd round pick for the Cowboys. Same with McKenzie. Nobody busted Belichick loud enough for anyone else to know. ...but I bet people on bigger Pats message boards were talking about it. That's all this is.

You're basically agreeing with what I'm saying in that I wish we used the pick in another way. I thought I've clarified by saying Brewster is on the path towards being a bust, not that he is already. There's a difference between that and saying it was a wasted pick. I say it was still a wasted pick. I'd rather have spent it another way and it's only further emphasized with this injury.

Any good news out of camp yet?

Comment

• Practice doesnt start for a little while yet. 2:15 central?

The very latest news came last night w/ Jason Williams and Stephen Mcgee signing their deals. Jason Williams was apparently the first guy on the field today.

Everyone is signed up except for Brewster. No reason to rush that one, now. :(

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I'm very happy that Jerry was able to pawn off Henry for Kitna. Carson Palmer spoke highly of the things he learned from him during his days in Cincy.

...and wiping our hands clean of Henry is like addition by subtraction.
            Henry rode his incredible rookie yr. all the way into big FA contracts with like 3 (??) teams now, he had 11 INTs as a rookie DB with Cleveland. Never has even come approachably close to that since..... the word overrated started being used about him & I think it applies.

Hell yes Newman is a Pro Bowl quality corner, came in the same yr. as McAllister who was ~ the same size, both no. 1 picks of their teams have overcome injuries causing them to miss games, & on comparison Newman has panned out better (B-more Ravens surprisingly dumped McAllister a yr ago). Who would you rather have in man coverage on Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, etc? Look at the setback Dallas experienced when they had to start the regular season tweaking the secondary b/c of Newman's foot injury.

I'm curious to see that with Williams gone will offenses still try to attack Dallas over the top or concentrate on the deep middle of the field as before.... Phillips is the DC now so he's had a whole yr's videotape to see the trend, & he's experienced enough to know that opponents will test Sensabaugh & (both) Hamlins if they both see the field this yr, & they might. He like me & the rest of us are damn tired of Dallas being the SD Bolts of the NFC, an underachieving team loaded with talent on both sides of the ball.

I'm looking for that pick total stat to improve this season when they attack Sensabaugh, Hamlin & the deep middle. When the team went into the tailspin last yr. with Romo out, the lack of INTs was killing them, & the coaches didn't seem to adjust to compensate for Williams inability to cover his own shadow. Better secondary coverage = Demarcus Ware finally breaking that single season sack rcd. that he tied last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
              Henry rode his incredible rookie yr. all the way into big FA contracts with like 3 (??) teams now, he had 11 INTs as a rookie DB with Cleveland. Never has even come approachably close to that since..... the word overrated started being used about him & I think it applies.

Hell yes Newman is a Pro Bowl quality corner, came in the same yr. as McAllister who was ~ the same size, both no. 1 picks of their teams have overcome injuries causing them to miss games, & on comparison Newman has panned out better (B-more Ravens surprisingly dumped McAllister a yr ago). Who would you rather have in man coverage on Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, etc? Look at the setback Dallas experienced when they had to start the regular season tweaking the secondary b/c of Newman's foot injury.

I'm curious to see that with Williams gone will offenses still try to attack Dallas over the top or concentrate on the deep middle of the field as before.... Phillips is the DC now so he's had a whole yr's videotape to see the trend, & he's experienced enough to know that opponents will test Sensabaugh & (both) Hamlins if they both see the field this yr, & they might. He like me & the rest of us are damn tired of Dallas being the SD Bolts of the NFC, an underachieving team loaded with talent on both sides of the ball.

I'm looking for that pick total stat to improve this season when they attack Sensabaugh, Hamlin & the deep middle. When the team went into the tailspin last yr. with Romo out, the lack of INTs was killing them, & the coaches didn't seem to adjust to compensate for Williams inability to cover his own shadow. Better secondary coverage = Demarcus Ware finally breaking that single season sack rcd. that he tied last season.
              Roy Williams hardly played last year. He was hurt early and didn't play the rest of the season, remember? I think Sensabaugh is an upgrade over Keith Davis and Tra Battle though.

Comment

• Anyone going to watch practice in San Antonio this year? I'm tied up at work so I won't be going.

Comment

• Romo doesnt look all that doughy anymore. haha. He's no Brady Quinn but, he certainly looks a little slimmer.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Well I know every chance I get I talk up Michael Hawkin's name and talk about how he's a player to watch, the first day he's already made the play of the day: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...ving-pick.html

I think he'll keep up the good play, especially coverage wise.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FinChase View Post
                      Anyone going to watch practice in San Antonio this year? I'm tied up at work so I won't be going.
                      Yeah I will probably wind up going but not sure what day is the best yet for me to go watch em.

Comment

• Originally posted by crisco0710 View Post
                        Yeah I will probably wind up going but not sure what day is the best yet for me to go watch em.
                        The blogs are recommending weekends since they'll be doing 2-a-days. If you go you'll have to post some pics here.

Comment

• I know it's only been 2 practices, but I've seen Ware, Butler, and Williams all being brought up for making plays.

I haven't seen spencers name mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                            I know it's only been 2 practices, but I've seen Ware, Butler, and Williams all being brought up for making plays.

I haven't seen spencers name mentioned.
                            I have always had the feeling that Spencer is a bust. I didn't want us to draft him. He looked pathetic playing against Hawaii when I watched him play. Silly me, I convinced myself that he might be a good pick, so I held out hope for promise in him. But for a first rounder where he was taken, he's looks like a bust. Shoulda taken LaMarr Woodley instead. Admittingly, I wanted Alan Branch or Justin Blalock at the time.

Nice to see Jason Williams making plays out there. He and Carp are the 2nd string ILBs.
                            Last edited by D-Unit; 07-30-2009, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Sounds like Romo was on point in today's practices. He isnt hitting Roy much at all but, he's finding everyone else. Hearing Hurd and Crayton's name a lot. Sounds like Hurd had a real nice 2nd practice today. Martellus Bennett supposedly looks like a new guy out there and he was pretty damn good last year. Choice also performed very well today.

And Spencer was much more active.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I was more hoping to see things like "It's hard to differentiate between Ware and Spencer out there.."

Instead I see about 10 plays listed where Ware was in the backfield either sacking someone or blowing up a screen.

I've seen Spencer's name 2 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information