This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
    Sort of my line of thinking... Different players I guess. Maualuga is not the cover backer that Williams can be. That being said, Rey isn't nearly as bad as everyone made him out to be. In fact, I'd rather see Rey in coverage than Bradie and we seem content with leaving him in on 3rd down so...

Ill admit that it looks like we got some good picks with V Butler and B Williams, both of which were suspect to me when we first made the picks.

Deangelo Smith is nice depth who can play multiple spots so he's valuable. Poor man's Meriweather at this point, could end up being a similar player though.

Too many reaches and fliers for a team that had 12 picks. I understand adding depth and churning the roster but I would have liked to have seen us do a little more quality and a little less quantity.

Maybe 8ish picks instead? Definitely think we could have had both Rey and Jarron if we wanted to.
    Yeah assuming we could have found someone to deal, it looks like both of those guys are available. And while I was high on both of those dudes before the draft, I've cooled some. With Gilbert it's that I think this team is planning on moving Rat to DE at some point in the future, and that's awesome and Gilbert doesn't fit in that future. With Rey, he's a clone of Bradie at this point. He's faster, but so is every draft class. They don't want another Bradie, because they are (inexplicably) in love with Bradie. They want a compliment to Bradie. That's what they want either J. Williams or Carp to be. Brooking is a start because his brain will keep him playing faster, but obviously not the solution.

I'm hesitant to get excited for the OLBs, but they are definitely showing more promise than I thought. Williams especially, he just screamed turd and never stood out to me in Big XII games.

Comparing Smith to Meriweather is noteworthy. Similar skill sets, similar measurements, vastly different colleges (and the hype that goes with playing at "da U").

I agree overall that it seemed odd that in a draft where VERY few starting positions are needed, we saw fit to stockpile backups. This has killed us in the past, and without rings to show for it this time. If you draft backups, eventually you have a team full of backups. Then before you know it, Dave Campo (Jason Garrett) is your head coach...

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
      So, let us fess up, who loved Stanback when they drafted him?

There are a few of you.

Looks like he will be one of the final cuts.

McGhee will be the Stanback of 2009
      If i remember correctly I was somewhat upset because I felt like we reached (once again) on a guy when there were other, more accomplished true WR's available.

When Antwan Randel El is the gold standard for QB's turned WR -- that would be a huge red flag to me. Why even take a guy in his position (I believe it was the first pick of round 4?) when there were more accomplished WR's on the board?

I've been all for him panning out, but didn't want him originally.

Same with McGhee -- I just don't understand the logic?

Why draft a developmental QB when your starting QB is nowhere near the end of his career? We draft and develop him, only to see him bolt when his rookie contract is up so someone else gets the benefit of our hard work? great idea!

There are a handful of Jon Kitnas (serviceable backups) that are in FA every year. Why not just sign those guys on a year to year basis and worry about a developmental guy when Romo is like 32 or 33?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
        Yeah assuming we could have found someone to deal, it looks like both of those guys are available. And while I was high on both of those dudes before the draft, I've cooled some. With Gilbert it's that I think this team is planning on moving Rat to DE at some point in the future, and that's awesome and Gilbert doesn't fit in that future. With Rey, he's a clone of Bradie at this point. He's faster, but so is every draft class. They don't want another Bradie, because they are (inexplicably) in love with Bradie. They want a compliment to Bradie. That's what they want either J. Williams or Carp to be. Brooking is a start because his brain will keep him playing faster, but obviously not the solution.

I'm hesitant to get excited for the OLBs, but they are definitely showing more promise than I thought. Williams especially, he just screamed turd and never stood out to me in Big XII games.

Comparing Smith to Meriweather is noteworthy. Similar skill sets, similar measurements, vastly different colleges (and the hype that goes with playing at "da U").

I agree overall that it seemed odd that in a draft where VERY few starting positions are needed, we saw fit to stockpile backups. This has killed us in the past, and without rings to show for it this time. If you draft backups, eventually you have a team full of backups. Then before you know it, Dave Campo (Jason Garrett) is your head coach...
        Yeah Rat to DE is fine -- I would agree with Gilbert being a dumb pick if that was the case. I just don't know if they are going to do that.

What if Rat gets 8 or 9 sacks this year? are we gonna move him anyway? I would say go for it, but this team lacks the balls to do something like that. You also don't want to piss a guy off that you are severely under paying.

I've wanted him at DE all along, but when Junior Siavii ends up on the team TWICE it doesn't look like we're trying very hard to find a serious replacement. That dude is hardly practice squad material. I didn't even realize how old he is already until I looked it up.

I can't believe he's gained a considerable amount of hype as our back up and possible starting NT if we can "light a fire under him" -- that fat **** is already 30 years old. There is no fire to light. He's a lazy slob.

Personally I would have liked to of seen us draft Rey, retain Burnett (who signed a 2 yr, 5 mil deal - cheaper than Brooking) let Rey learn behind Bradie for a year and then trade or release Bradie next season. Sell high.

We'll see how everything turns out. I just feel like we totally blew the offseason. Starting with RW to the way we handled the draft.

Obviously the people working for the Cowboys know way more than I do, so we'll see what happens.

Comment

• Stanback had a good practice today, FYI. It's not a certainty that he gets cut.

But anyway, the pick didnt bother me, nor did I love it. It was a 4th rounder, if he panned out he panned out. And if he didnt, it was a 4th round pick, it's not the end of the world.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
            Same with McGhee -- I just don't understand the logic?
            1. McGhee QB, Stanback QB
            2. McGhee first pick of 4th round. Stanback same.
            3. McGhee is more athlete than QB, Stanback same
            4. McGhee was acquired via trade into that pick, Stanback same.
            5. Everyone scratched their head and said .... 7th Rounder.

Comment

• First off, his name is McGee. And yeah he's a project but, he's not more of an athlete than a QB, not to the extent of a Stanback atleast. He def. gives you a lot to work with. For the majority of his career he played in A&M's wonky, zone read option offense, and he was hurt when Mike Sherman implemented a pro style (westcoast) offense. He's better suited for a pro style offense, he just didnt get much of a chance to play in one. He was a top 5 pro style QB going into college. Worst choice he made was choosing A&M.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

1. McGhee QB, Stanback QB
                2. McGhee first pick of 4th round. Stanback same.
                3. McGhee is more athlete than QB, Stanback same
                4. McGhee was acquired via trade into that pick, Stanback same.
                5. Everyone scratched their head and said .... 7th Rounder.
                These guys are totally different players. What's your point?

BTW, neither would have lasted until the 7th round.
                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• How is witten and Austin doing so far?

Comment

• I love the value of 4th round picks. Barber and Canty topping the list of course.. but Stanback and Free are like the complete opposite. Honestly, I was like WTF when we drafted Stanback. In fact, I was mad that they passed on Free to take him. So when we did get Free I was damn happy. Then Free showed high bust potential in Year 1 and I've never thought highly of him since. So Stanback is crap and Free is crap. I was mad at one and happy at the other when we drafted them. Hindsight 20/20... I should've been mad that we made both picks. LOL.

This year? IMO, we wasted the McGee and Williams picks in the 4th. Wasted the Brewster pick too. The rest I was ok with. I mean... I liked McGee as a QB option in the draft, but I didn't want to address QB any higher than the 6th or 7th. McGee was rising, but I want a player who can bring more impact in the 4th. QB development for us in our current situation? Didn't make enough sense for me to use the first pick of the 4th for someone battling for the 3rd string QB job.

I brought up this sleeper's name a lot before the draft, but I wish we took Vaughn Martin. The guy is gonna be a flat out beast at NT for the Chargers.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                      ....He was a top 5 pro style QB going into college. Worst choice he made was choosing A&M.
                      I could have told you that. So he is also not too smart like Mitch Mustain with his AK chocie.

You want to be a Pro QB -- go to a Pro system that has been there for years. Like Miami, USC, UCLA, PAC 10, Big Sky ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        ...BTW, neither would have lasted until the 7th round.
                        That is simply your lone opinion.

An injured QB/Athlete at the top of the 4th is a mistake.

A under-performing QB from A&M at the top of the fourth is a mistake.

3/4 rounds are for OL and DL -- most good skill positions guys are long gone and the developmental guys in skill positions usually go 5/6/7....

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          I love the value of 4th round picks. Barber and Canty topping the list of course.. but Stanback and Free are like the complete opposite. Honestly, I was like WTF when we drafted Stanback. In fact, I was mad that they passed on Free to take him. So when we did get Free I was damn happy. Then Free showed high bust potential in Year 1 and I've never thought highly of him since. So Stanback is crap and Free is crap. I was mad at one and happy at the other when we drafted them. Hindsight 20/20... I should've been mad that we made both picks. LOL.

This year? IMO, we wasted the McGee and Williams picks in the 4th. Wasted the Brewster pick too. The rest I was ok with. I mean... I liked McGee as a QB option in the draft, but I didn't want to address QB any higher than the 6th or 7th. McGee was rising, but I want a player who can bring more impact in the 4th. QB development for us in our current situation? Didn't make enough sense for me to use the first pick of the 4th for someone battling for the 3rd string QB job.

I brought up this sleeper's name a lot before the draft, but I wish we took Vaughn Martin. The guy is gonna be a flat out beast at NT for the Chargers.

NT for Jerry is like QB -- he does not want to waste early picks on them.

Comment

That is simply your lone opinion.

An injured QB/Athlete at the top of the 4th is a mistake.

A under-performing QB from A&M at the top of the fourth is a mistake.

3/4 rounds are for OL and DL -- most good skill positions guys are long gone and the developmental guys in skill positions usually go 5/6/7....

McGee -

*************.com had him listed as 3rd to 4th rounder.
                            http://www.*************.com/ratings...2009&genpos=QB

Steve has him 2nd or 3rd rounder.
                            http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...phen-McGee.php

nfldraftbible.com listed him as 3rd rounder.
                            http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players...hen-McGee.html

SI - rd 4
                            http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ist/index.html

nfldraft101.com - 5th
                            http://www.nfldraft101.com/profiles/...phen_McGee.jsp

Do I need to go on?

Stanback

4th or 5th
                            http://www.seattlepi.com/football/312897_draft25.html

Scott had him as the 12th WR - Not sure what that translates but it's not a 7th.

Look, the issue is not whether these guys pan out. They may not. The problem is that we, as Cowboys fans, only look at our hits and misses. Did you look last night at how many high draft picks the Titans had that haven't done anything.

You can find players at all positions in all rounds. I think your points are just all around flawed. Again, that doesn't mean you will be wrong on these guys. It's just flawed thinking to say because we picked this guy here, he's a miss and this one's a hit because we picked him here. It's a crap shoot many times. Everyone talks about NE being genius, but if they were so damn smart, they would have taken Brady in the 1st round.
                            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

NT for Jerry is like QB -- he does not want to waste early picks on them.
                              Huh? Troy Aikman.... ring a bell?

Besides, Martin went in the 4th after McGee. If I had a redo, I take Martin. Heck, I take a lot of other guys for that matter. 3rd string QB... should've waited for the 6th or 7th. Maybe even the 5th with the amount of picks we had. Definitely don't like what I'm hearing about McGee in TC. Sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                                McGee -

*************.com had him listed as 3rd to 4th rounder.
                                http://www.*************.com/ratings...2009&genpos=QB

Steve has him 2nd or 3rd rounder.
                                http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...phen-McGee.php

nfldraftbible.com listed him as 3rd rounder.
                                http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players...hen-McGee.html

SI - rd 4
                                http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ist/index.html

nfldraft101.com - 5th
                                http://www.nfldraft101.com/profiles/...phen_McGee.jsp

Do I need to go on?

Stanback

4th or 5th
                                http://www.seattlepi.com/football/312897_draft25.html

Scott had him as the 12th WR - Not sure what that translates but it's not a 7th.

Look, the issue is not whether these guys pan out. They may not. The problem is that we, as Cowboys fans, only look at our hits and misses. Did you look last night at how many high draft picks the Titans had that haven't done anything.

You can find players at all positions in all rounds. I think your points are just all around flawed. Again, that doesn't mean you will be wrong on these guys. It's just flawed thinking to say because we picked this guy here, he's a miss and this one's a hit because we picked him here. It's a crap shoot many times. Everyone talks about NE being genius, but if they were so damn smart, they would have taken Brady in the 1st round.
                                haha. Good points... except that one. Maybe they were so smart they knew they didn't have to spend a 1st rounder on him.

NE is genius. THEY GOT BRANDON TATE!!! MY LOVE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information