Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow Vick to the Iggles....I remember this fool on here saying what a great franchise they have and their GM/Front office is sooooo much better than ours. From what i remember they STILL havent won a SB and now this. Wonder what that guy would have said if "Jerrah" would have signed him? Hmmmm. Guess we'll never know since everybody has him on ignore.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
      Wow Vick to the Iggles....I remember this fool on here saying what a great franchise they have and their GM/Front office is sooooo much better than ours. From what i remember they STILL havent won a SB and now this. Wonder what that guy would have said if "Jerrah" would have signed him? Hmmmm. Guess we'll never know since everybody has him on ignore.
      Too funny. Not one person I know outside of Dallas thinks we have a better organization than the Eagles. NOT ONE. But this is why Dallas Fans are called SUCH HOMERS. Not my words .....

I will say this, Eagles are in better shape for the next 3 years then we are. So are the Giants. As evidenced, we are getting thin at the back of the roster b/c our younger players are not very good.

These are the same young guys Jerrah drafted and developed since Parcells left. Coincidence?? RUFKM???? Absolutely not. You have a staff which is not as good as finding or developing guys. Where is Wade's Romo or Ratliff or Colombo or MBIII?????????? Choice maybe?

The rot has already started .... let me go through 2007 to 2009 to show you how bad decisions eventually create damage by forgoing talent at the top end of the draft ...

1. Giving up a pick for Spencer when we already had Carpenter the year previously. Not that Carp was going to be an All-Pro but between Ware, Ellis and Carpenter -- good enuff. RESULT: Draft Spencer, waste two valuable early round picks, essentially forced Burnett off the team b/c you choose between him and Carp.

3 lost opportunities in exchange for 1 player. Two Second Rounders and one Third I think.

2. Drafting two Kickers in three years in the 5th round. RESULT: We have a bake off in camp and may need to carry two kickers. Not too smart and certainly not ideal touse a roster spot of an f*ing Kicker. FYI Crosby is better than Folk and was one round later.

2 lost opportunities in exchange for a Kicker "bake-off" most teams do with UDFA. Lost 2 5th Rounders.

3. 4th Round drafting Stanback. An abortion from day 1.

1 more lost opportunity high in the draft. 4th rounder.

4. Trading Fasano then having to take Bennett. We already have Witten.

1 more lost opportunity high in the draft. 2nd rounder.

5. Signing Johnson and Cutting Moore. Cost us Moore and forced us into McGhee -- which scraps the Fasano fourth rounder.

1 more lost opportunity high in the draft. 4th rounder.

6. Taking Felix instead of Mendenhall. (this one is going to piss off folks but logic holds regardless of two the players turn out). Taking Felix forced us to take Tashard but Tashard and Lattimore are both quality 3rd backs. Another alternative was a Charles later in the draft board who could do what Felix does behind a stud like MBIII and RM.

1 more lost opportunity high in the draft. 4th rounder tho again, this one is very debatable

7. RW Trade.

1 First and 1 Third when Boldin could have been had for a Second and Third.

8. Burnett/Carp/Spencer also forced us to use one of the 4ths this year on back-up OLB.

This does not even get into the myriad of reaches like Brewster regardless of whether they make it or not or how beastly you think they are.

We waste lots of energy trying to out smart teams and end up out smarting ourselves. The net-net by my count is 2 Fifths, 4 Fourths, 1 Third, 1 Second and 1 First and what doe we have for that ....

Felix/Bennett/Folk/Spencer/McGee/B Williams/R Williams/Choice/Stanback

.... instead of ....

Mendenhall/Fasano/Burnett/Lattimore/M Moore/ Ayodele plus 2 Fifths, 4 Fourths, 1 Third, 1 Second, and 1 First.

FYI, While I hate the Vick signing b/c he is another cancer boy like TO, funny enough your GM loves it .... for the Iggles. So.......

http://jacquestaylorblog.dallasnews....-had-gone.html
      Last edited by herniateddisc; 08-14-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
        Where is Wade's Romo or Ratliff or Colombo or MBIII?????????? Choice maybe?
        Where are you going with this? Big Bill had his draft busts. How about Peterman and Rogers? We've actually had good drafts.

The rot has already started .... let me go through 2007 to 2009 to show you how bad decisions eventually create damage by forgoing talent at the top end of the draft ...

1. Giving up a pick for Spencer when we already had Carpenter the year previously. Not that Carp was going to be an All-Pro but between Ware, Ellis and Carpenter -- good enuff. RESULT: Draft Spencer, waste two valuable early round picks, essentially forced Burnett off the team b/c you choose between him and Carp.
        Can't have it both ways....Ever think they felt that they had to go with a pass rusher because Carp had showed so little (Big Bill pick).

And since when can you be critical of teams for drafting guys that can get to the QB? Everybody is looking for those guys.

I liked Burnett, but if he was so great, why couldn't he take Adoyle or Thomas' spot?

2. Drafting two Kickers in three years in the 5th round. RESULT: We have a bake off in camp and may need to carry two kickers. Not too smart and certainly not ideal touse a roster spot of an f*ing Kicker. FYI Crosby is better than Folk and was one round later.
        You are making no sense.

You do realize that Folk's career FG % is 86.8 and Crosby is 79.4? How is he better?

3. 4th Round drafting Stanback. An abortion from day 1.
        We've been around this before. It appears the pick is not going to work out, but you're attitude assumes that no team ever fails on their picks either. Dallas' 4th rounder didn't work out! OMG, they suck! BTW, this was during Big Bill's tenure.

4. Trading Fasano then having to take Bennett. We already have Witten.
        Are you saying you would rather have Fasano? Fasano is JAG. BTW, another Big Bill pick.

5. Signing Johnson and Cutting Moore. Cost us Moore and forced us into McGhee -- which scraps the Fasano fourth rounder.
        Moore was a loss. I remember it being reported when they did it that they really regretted having to do it because they liked him. In hindsight, they should have kept 3 QBs.

6. Taking Felix instead of Mendenhall. (this one is going to piss off folks but logic holds regardless of two the players turn out). Taking Felix forced us to take Tashard but Tashard and Lattimore are both quality 3rd backs. Another alternative was a Charles later in the draft board who could do what Felix does behind a stud like MBIII and RM.
        Absolutely insane. You have zero credibility.

7. RW Trade.

All things being equal, I would rather have Boldin also. Are you sure you could have gotten Boldin for that?

8. Burnett/Carp/Spencer also forced us to use one of the 4ths this year on back-up OLB.
        Dude, your logic is flawed somewhat. With a 3-4, you are always going to draft LBers. Every year. I've addressed Carp earlier; that one's on Big Bill.

This does not even get into the myriad of reaches like Brewster regardless of whether they make it or not or how beastly you think they are.
        Again, Brewster was a reach, but you're approach assumes that no team in the league ever reaches on a player. You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Felix/Bennett/Folk/Spencer/McGee/B Williams/R Williams/Choice/Stanback

.... instead of ....

Mendenhall/Fasano/Burnett/Lattimore/M Moore/ Ayodele plus 2 Fifths, 4 Fourths, 1 Third, 1 Second, and 1 First.
        Without knowing what those draft picks were going to be, I don't think your scenario is better than the first. Especially, given that we really don't know what the ceiling is going to be for felix, bennett, williams, spencer, etc.

It really appears that you are not really thinking about what you post before you post it.
        Last edited by Macarthur; 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM.
        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Id be a little concerned about your run defense honestly. Ive said this for awhile, and its always overlooked: The Cowboys slant into gaps. Thats a high risk high reward style of stopping the run.

The problem with this is 2 fold

1. You do it bc you don't have a true NT, and to counter this problem, Wade has his linemen slant into gaps to attack the run game at the LOS. This is what smaller dlines generally do against the run bc they lack the bulk to take on guys head on, and it works effectively until..

2. You go against a good ZBS. A good ZBS running team can counter these gap slants, and just open up your defense to long runs. You saw that yesterday with McFadden, and if you go back and look at the long runs the Ravens did, it was more of the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzGRU...eature=related
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCPJ9AJ0Tk
          http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...den-highlights

notice how your linemen slanted into their gaps? Notice how the oline countered with a stoute ZBS that offered a counter lane?

This will be an issue against shifty RBs all season. Guys like Westbrook, McCoy, Bradshaw, Portis, they will all have success on this style of running on the Cowboys.

Now the question is how much ZBS teams will incorporate in their gameplan against the Cowboys. I know the Giants run a lot of it out of the Shotgun Draws we do, as well as our single back sets with Bradshaw when we run our change of pace run plays.

With Jacobs we run a ton of power and pull guards, so the Cowboys will be ok against that, but depending on Bradshaw and our chemistry on O with him in the game, we might be able to pull off some long runs against the Cowboys D.

Something to keep an eye on.
          Good job on the post! Our run Defense makes me crap rocks. Just yesterday Burns posted something about how good of a run defender that Ratliff was. I respect Football Outsiders, but I'm still very concerned about Ratliff's impact at the NT position and how that affects the rest of the front 7 against the run. Pass rushing wise, he's a beast. Put him at DE and I think he could be one of the most special 3-4 DEs in the league. At NT, he just doesn't open things up for others enough. Against the run, he doesn't command a double team. He can command one against the pass, and I think that is one reason why Dallas' defense had the most sacks in the league last year. The double he commands in the middle against the pass opened up opportunities for others to seize. I think our sack totals will be high again this year.

But back to the run D... opponents simply don't feel the need to double team him in run blocking. They can put a single guy on him. The fact that he doesn't command one against the run, just makes it harder on everyone else. Put Haloti Ngata in there, and I tell you, our run defense would be fantastic.

I dunno, I guess Wade's plan is to continue having our linemen shoot the gaps, because since he's been here, we haven't seriously attempted to find a true NT. We haven't had one since our conversion to the 3-4. Parcells brought Ferguson, but he did the exact same thing Ratliff is doing... and was also undersized at 305 pounds. The fact that Ratliff has shed weight and is now 290 something just makes me shake my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Good job on the post! Our run Defense makes me crap rocks. Just yesterday Burns posted something about how good of a run defender that Ratliff was. I respect Football Outsiders, but I'm still very concerned about Ratliff's impact at the NT position and how that affects the rest of the front 7 against the run. Pass rushing wise, he's a beast. Put him at DE and I think he could be one of the most special 3-4 DEs in the league. At NT, he just doesn't open things up for others enough. Against the run, he doesn't command a double team. He can command one against the pass, and I think that is one reason why Dallas' defense had the most sacks in the league last year. The double he commands in the middle against the pass opened up opportunities for others to seize. I think our sack totals will be high again this year.

But back to the run D... opponents simply don't feel the need to double team him in run blocking. They can put a single guy on him. The fact that he doesn't command one against the run, just makes it harder on everyone else. Put Haloti Ngata in there, and I tell you, our run defense would be fantastic.

I dunno, I guess Wade's plan is to continue having our linemen shoot the gaps, because since he's been here, we haven't seriously attempted to find a true NT. We haven't had one since our conversion to the 3-4. Parcells brought Ferguson, but he did the exact same thing Ratliff is doing... and was also undersized at 305 pounds. The fact that Ratliff has shed weight and is now 290 something just makes me shake my head.
            Was it Ratliff's idea to shed the weight or the coaches?

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
              Was it Ratliff's idea to shed the weight or the coaches?
              I really don't know. Have you guys caught up on today's local media news? I haven't had a chance yet. What are they saying?

Comment

• Um...how are we different this year than last, exactly?

Last year we showed signs of being a dominant run defense and ended up 12th after a late season swoon. This year we have rid ourselves of probably the two worst perpetrators from last season, Thomas and Ellis, and we have replaced them with players that excel against the run. Igor is an upgrade over Canty in the run dept.

I just don't see it, we've seen this in action and yes, there are reasons for concern but I'm not losing sleep over it at all.

I'm much, much more concerned about depth at NT, ILB and CB right now than an area of our team that has been a strength of our team the last two years.
                Originally posted by 21ST
                He was protecting his self
                Originally posted by tjsunstein
                From what? His leg?
                Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• I don't think Dallas's run defense will be terrible or anything. It will be solid to be honest. If I came off that way, then let me clarify that is not what I meant.

Im just saying there is room for concern, in particular against ZBS blocking schemes. And since we like to nitpick, I just wanted to point out a schematic flaw that could potentially lead to trouble.

Just pointing out something to pay attention to in the future.

I don't think the run defense got any worse or improved any this offseason to be honest. I don't think too much of Brooking, to me him and Thomas were a wash. And I think Igor will basically give you the same producation in the run game that Canty gave you.

Although if what D says is true about Ratliff going to 290 lbs, that would concern me. But to clarify one point, we often talk about the Cowboys defense as a true 3-4, but we need to remember that its not.

Ive used this analogy before, I like to think of it as a 4-3 masked in a 3-4 shell. Its a 1 gap scheme. So there is no true 2 gap NT in it. Especially with the gap slanting strategy the Cowboys employ. So while a 2 gap NT would be preferred, its not a necessity with how Wade runs this defense.

But with that strategy comes a risk, which is the susceptibility to ZBS 1 cut runs by speedy shifty RBs. Which is really all I wanted to discuss. Not meant to be interpretted as "your run D is weak".
                  Last edited by bigbluedefense; 08-14-2009, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• I was responding more to D's comment than yours, and I def see what your saying from a technical standpoint. I disagree that its a big deal, as I haven't noticed us getting gashed by ZBSes in the past (any more than traditional m2m schemes) and as such I am not that concerned.

Honestly, I think if anything we should be more worried about Ratliff being pushd around by double teams which--logic says--should have been happening the last two years. The problem there is that hasn't been an issue. More often we've seen the two ILB's getting beat down by guards reaching the second level (which Burns' info from Outsiders confirms) and have had a problem stuffing the run against downhill runners and power running offenses. This happened in the Ravens game last year as well as the 1st game against the Redskins when we couldn't stop either team from running it down our throats late in the game.

And trust me, BBD, Igor will be an upgrade on Canty in the run game. I think you will be disappointed in his play, to be honest, and I would be shocked if he doesn't become a cap casualty within the first 3 years of that contract. The only thing that ever differentiated him from your typical 3-4 DE or 4-3 UT was his ability to flash as a pass rusher. Around here we had visions of him becoming that dynamic big guy who could be a two way force, run and pass. He showed signs from time to time, but never made the leap.

Igor is capable of dominating versus the run--at one time many of this site thought of him as the best run defending 3-4 end in the league--but should be a non entity against the pass. Canty never got to that next level as a run defender, although he was very solid.

Overall, it was a lateral move. But it was an upgrade in the running game for sure. Just watch Canty closely and you'll see what I mean.
                    Originally posted by 21ST
                    He was protecting his self
                    Originally posted by tjsunstein
                    From what? His leg?
                    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• BBD, we love to nitpick around here. It's what we do. :) We like to sound overexaggerating sometimes too... just for the dramatic effect. ;)

Our run D has been problematic at crucial times. Overall, they may have ranked 12th, but it's the consistency that I have a problem with. They looked great at times and bad at times.

The problem with the ILBs stuffing the run, imo, still stems back to NT. Those big guards that have mauled them in the past, get to them in the first place because Ratliff doesn't perform the assignment like a true 34 NT would. That's basically what I was saying. Same thing when Ferg was here. Neither never/hardly ever commanded a double, or occupied that space taking those assignments. Instead of our ILBs hitting the gap that our NT should be occupying, our NT is trying to hit the gap. I dunno if that's what Wade wants or if he's accommodating because of personel. Just confusing, because we never have seemed to be in hot pursuit of a true NT.

Ray Lewis has had a career revival after Ngata got drafted. He was starting to looked slowed down before that. Now, while Ngata is filling the gaps, Lewis is being the playmaker that he is. That's what we don't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        Where are you going with this? Big Bill had his draft busts. How about Peterman and Rogers? We've actually had good drafts.
                        Yes he did but I don't think it fair to compare roster building and player development skills.

We have had 3 Jerrah drafts and at best you have 4 players -- all back-ups so far except Jenkins/Scandrick.

Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        Can't have it both ways....Ever think they felt that they had to go with a pass rusher because Carp had showed so little (Big Bill pick).
                        Mabye, but you don't make that decisions 1 year into Carp's career given how well he ended his rookie season.

And since when can you be critical of teams for drafting guys that can get to the QB? Everybody is looking for those guys.
                        I was not critical for drafting a QB. I was a proponent of it. I was critical of letting go a young guy like Moore for Johnson when it was clear Johnson was shot in Preseason and Moore was raw.

With respect to McGee, last night shows you how far he has to go if he ever gets there.

I liked Burnett, but if he was so great, why couldn't he take Adoyle or Thomas' spot?
                        Who said he was great. All I said was as part of a chain of events we let him go because he was a spare. Yet he has much more than "spare" talent. This problem was created by the drafting of Spencer.

You are making no sense.
                        Your opinion. That is OK.

You do realize that Folk's career FG % is 86.8 and Crosby is 79.4? How is he better?
                        You are going to compare a guy who kicks in the NFC North from Greenbay to Folk on accuracy? OMG. Fact is Folk can't kick-off and that was clear from before the draft.

Do I like Folk's accuracy. Sure but there is a reason Kickers are pushed around like commodities and rarely are they drafted early.

I like Folk but his choice is an indication of strange player personnel decisions and the misuse of draft picks.

We've been around this before. It appears the pick is not going to work out, but you're attitude assumes that no team ever fails on their picks either. Dallas' 4th rounder didn't work out! OMG, they suck! BTW, this was during Big Bill's tenure.
                        Again, this is mis-representation of what I am writing. Just a flat out lie.

I can't make sense of Jerrah's drafts given what I see on the field and what folks who know young talent say about our options.

Last two years we don't trade up in drafts and we miss our guys. Hardy in 08. Unger this year.

You think TO is cut and Roy is traded for if we get Hardy last year? Probably not.

We get Unger this year and ..... I can go on an don't about players we ALL TALKED about that were passed on, that we needed on the roster but we inexplicably ignored them or a similar type player.

Are you saying you would rather have Fasano? Fasano is JAG. BTW, another Big Bill pick.
                        Fasano + Ayodele + 2nd Rounder + 4th rounder + 1 FA Signing >>>>>>> Bennett + McGee + Brooking

Moore was a loss. I remember it being reported when they did it that they really regretted having to do it because they liked him. In hindsight, they should have kept 3 QBs.
                        I get the thought process here at least. I thought the analysis on Johnson was wrong but I get keeping a Vet. If we had cut Moore but signed Leftwich -- makes sense. But PSing Moore to keep Johnson? Just plain stupid.

Absolutely insane. You have zero credibility.
                        If you say so but fact is I have been CORRECT for the most part the last few years and I am ON RECORD as saying we are slowly regressing this roster back to the bad old days.

Like 1996/7/8 without any playoff victories under the belt.

I think we have this year and next to do something but I don't see the young guys that are needed to keep the roster fresh in 2011 and beyond. I don't see the player development.

All things being equal, I would rather have Boldin also. Are you sure you could have gotten Boldin for that?
                        We can never know. So in all fairness to Jerry .... but point is don't give up so much for a WR and as I point out above we might have been in a different mindset if we pursued the guy we wanted (Hardy) instead of sitting there and/or trading down.

Unger and Rey Rey are good examples.

Dude, your logic is flawed somewhat. With a 3-4, you are always going to draft LBers. Every year. I've addressed Carp earlier; that one's on Big Bill.
                        Sure you need LBers but right now we also have other more pressing needs.

Plus given our recent history of developing guys (Spencer) you have to wonder.

Again, Brewster was a reach, but you're approach assumes that no team in the league ever reaches on a player. You're not seeing the forest for the trees.
                        We reach on lots. Brewster is one data point indicative of the problem. You forget to mention all the others I have discussed but that is fine. And plenty of teams reach and fail. It explains loser franchises. Raiders anyone?

But just as importantly as reaching is using the draft to bolster areas of need. I, for example, have been have with the approach to the DBs last two draft. We are creating a serious bake off and by the time this shakes out we will be OK there. The move to do this on OLB sounds fine but we are not addressing ILB, OL and DL which are key.

Without knowing what those draft picks were going to be, I don't think your scenario is better than the first. Especially, given that we really don't know what the ceiling is going to be for felix, bennett, williams, spencer, etc.
                        Who knows what they will be.

It really appears that you are not really thinking about what you post before you post it.
                        All my points are horrible. I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          I don't think Dallas's run defense will be terrible or anything. It will be solid to be honest. If I came off that way, then let me clarify that is not what I meant.

Im just saying there is room for concern, in particular against ZBS blocking schemes. And since we like to nitpick, I just wanted to point out a schematic flaw that could potentially lead to trouble.

Just pointing out something to pay attention to in the future.

I don't think the run defense got any worse or improved any this offseason to be honest. I don't think too much of Brooking, to me him and Thomas were a wash. And I think Igor will basically give you the same producation in the run game that Canty gave you.

Although if what D says is true about Ratliff going to 290 lbs, that would concern me. But to clarify one point, we often talk about the Cowboys defense as a true 3-4, but we need to remember that its not.

Ive used this analogy before, I like to think of it as a 4-3 masked in a 3-4 shell. Its a 1 gap scheme. So there is no true 2 gap NT in it. Especially with the gap slanting strategy the Cowboys employ. So while a 2 gap NT would be preferred, its not a necessity with how Wade runs this defense.

But with that strategy comes a risk, which is the susceptibility to ZBS 1 cut runs by speedy shifty RBs. Which is really all I wanted to discuss. Not meant to be interpretted as "your run D is weak".
                          Translation, our D gives up big running plays because of how we play it and the fact we are missing a two gap NT.

McFadden run as evidence last night I believe.

Comment

• hernaiteddisc, can you stop just going nuts about how bad jerry is amd talk football?

you have a secret hate for him we get it. He is our owner, get over it. get into heated arguement's about football all you want, but the jerry stuff is annoying and not even fun to talk about.

please dude im really asking nicely. talk about football on the field. jerry is our owner. its done with

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                              hernaiteddisc, can you stop just going nuts about how bad jerry is amd talk football?

you have a secret hate for him we get it. He is our owner, get over it. get into heated arguement's about football all you want, but the jerry stuff is annoying and not even fun to talk about.

please dude im really asking nicely. talk about football on the field. jerry is our owner. its done with
                              Welcome to year 4... Really though, if you and everybody else put him on ignore like D, LL, Me and others, maybe he will just go away. If not then who cares cuz nobody will be reading the trash anyway....atleast until he makes another alias to tell him how right/smart he is and believe me he has pulled that stunt as well.:roll:

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• To be fair, on Mcfadden's 45 yarder, that was our second unit in there. Not encouraging at all but, just pointing out that it was not our starters.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                                KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information