This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
    Obviously, we weren't watching the same game. There's nothing wrong with a QB having to take a step up or two in the pocket. The fact is, Osi never really was a threat and got owned on rushing plays. FRankly, I could care less if a guy takes off screaming like a nut up field every play. Romo has a good feel for stepping up in the pocket. That's not a threat to us most of the time. What you have to do if you are getting up field quickly is turn the corner on the OT. Osi never did that.
    no, he constantly beat flozell to the outside and would foce the pocket to collapse. He always does that, and when our interior pass rush is working, it's deadly. Osi did get destroyed in the run game, but my homer goggles are gonna attribute that to rust coming off his injury. But his speed rush was there and he constantly beat Flozell, forcing Romo into what should be an interior rush, but we had none. When he did turn inside, the interior line was there to help. Flozell was getting abused in the passing game, but dominated Osi in the run game.
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• If Osi were "abusing" him, wouldn't that have produced at least one sack? He may have been hurried, but I don't even recall a play that he was rushed. He was knocked down a couple times, but I just can't see how you could say anyone was being abused when there was absolutely nothing to show for it.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

If Osi were "abusing" him, wouldn't that have produced at least one sack? He may have been hurried, but I don't even recall a play that he was rushed. He was knocked down a couple times, but I just can't see how you could say anyone was being abused when there was absolutely nothing to show for it.
        if you think sacks are the only way to measure pass rush you need some help. Maybe abuse was a bit too strong a word, but Flozell looked like slowzell all night on Osi. Osi had him beat, but the Cowboys did a great job on help blocking and sliding. But again, it's the feeling of the pocket moving and collpasing on a QB that'll give him happy feet and rush decisions. I hate Romo, but he's not THAT bad with his accuracy where if he felt no pressure he'd make all those awful throws. Some of them he felt the pressure because Osi would move the pocket and draw help blocking. He was gunning for a sack all night, why you guys didn't do more draws, hell, even normal runs more to his side, or anywhere for that matter, confuses the hell outta me.
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
          if you think sacks are the only way to measure pass rush you need some help.
          Nope. I'm well aware of hurries and all that crap, genius.

Maybe abuse was a bit too strong a word, but Flozell looked like slowzell all night on Osi. Osi had him beat, but the Cowboys did a great job on help blocking and sliding. But again, it's the feeling of the pocket moving and collpasing on a QB that'll give him happy feet and rush decisions. I hate Romo, but he's not THAT bad with his accuracy where if he felt no pressure he'd make all those awful throws. Some of them he felt the pressure because Osi would move the pocket and draw help blocking. He was gunning for a sack all night, why you guys didn't do more draws, hell, even normal runs more to his side, or anywhere for that matter, confuses the hell outta me.
          This shows me that you don't remember much about the game. We ran tons of draws. We did have over 250 yards rushing.

There's not question Romo was bad, but he was not pressured on those bad throws. There's plenty of clips out there on the plays; I've seen them several times. Go find them.

I'm done with this converstion unless we can find a site that tracks hurries.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Nope. I'm well aware of hurries and all that crap, genius.

This shows me that you don't remember much about the game. We ran tons of draws. We did have over 250 yards rushing.

There's not question Romo was bad, but he was not pressured on those bad throws. There's plenty of clips out there on the plays; I've seen them several times. Go find them.

I'm done with this converstion unless we can find a site that tracks hurries.
            he was hurried on some, but not all. that's true, he was pretty awful. And I know you ran plenty of draws, but you should've ran MORE. Your run game was murdering us, and at times you got away from it. Specifically I was talking aboutFelix, I coulda sworn I posted draws to felix, but oh well, my bad there.
            We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
              he was hurried on some, but not all. that's true, he was pretty awful. And I know you ran plenty of draws, but you should've ran MORE. Your run game was murdering us, and at times you got away from it. Specifically I was talking aboutFelix, I coulda sworn I posted draws to felix, but oh well, my bad there.

Well, I certainly agree that we should have run more. At the point Romo threw that last one, we were on the verge of imposing our will and going up 11. Garrett got cute and it cost us.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Well, I certainly agree that we should have run more. At the point Romo threw that last one, we were on the verge of imposing our will and going up 11. Garrett got cute and it cost us.
                I was talking to my roomie and cowboys fan, he says he wants a disasterous season in dallas if they fall to 1-4 or so because he wants Wade and Garret outta there. I like your team if you continue to go with the ground game and 2 TE sets. they can be deadly.
                We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• I think Garrett is very bright and I think he's actually extremely talented at designing an offense and matchups. Where I think he get's off track is during a game, he sometimes gets too aggressive. That stituation I referenced is a perfect example. He was going for the jugular, which I love in some sense, but you also have to be smart.

The 2 TEs will definately be a staple. It just creates so many mismatches. He did several different things Sunday that he didn't do against TB and I suspect he will add new wrinkles this week. Again, that's one of his strengths is getting mismatches that favor the offense. If you remember, we used the 2 TEs sets in TB to set up the throw. With you guys, you were keeping the safeties deep so we used the set to run. It's just really hard to defend.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• *26th in points allowed per game (26.5)
                    *30th in yards allowed per game (438.5)
                    *30th in passing yards allowed (303.0)
                    *24th in rushing yards allowed (135.5)

That is our dallas cowboys defense. That sad thing is we are the only team in the league without a sack and we have 0 turnovers. Talk about a huge problem.

BTW Ken Hamlin has been garbage.

I can't wait till draft day when we can potentially land a stud at the position.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                      *26th in points allowed per game (26.5)

That is our dallas cowboys defense. That sad thing is we are the only team in the league without a sack and we have 0 turnovers. Talk about a huge problem.

BTW Ken Hamlin has been garbage.

I can't wait till draft day when we can potentially land a stud at the position.
                      You're right. With all the discussion about Romo, I'm not worried about the offense. This team will go only as far as the defense takes it.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Scotty, you need to learn the difference between a tackle riding his man past the pocket and a rusher beating his man around the corner. Very rarely does internal pressure flush the QB out of the back end of the pocket. On the vast majority of edge rushes, the pass rusher has to actually get the edge on the tackle in order to establish an angle that allows him to "turn the corner" rather than be ridden past it. Osi was not turning the corner on Flozell at all during that game. That is classified as a win--in quite convincing fashion--for the tackle. And its nothing new. Flozell has been taking Osi's lunch money for years.

Also...as much as I would hate to throw a year away, I think this would be a great year to have a bottom 5 finish. We need a guy like Eric Berry in order to take this defense where it needs to go. If we got that guy....wow. But it would take throwing an entire year away, and I could never wish somethingl like that to happen. But if I have to choose between a 9-7 finish and a 3-13 one, I'll take the 3-13 one all day long. That way we can finally get rid of Wade and make some much needed changes.
                        Originally posted by 21ST
                        He was protecting his self
                        Originally posted by tjsunstein
                        From what? His leg?
                        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I think you guys are failing to recognize that by Garrett mixing up the playcalling that the pass actually opened up the run. A bunch of our runs were out of draw plays for crying out loud. Just wanted to make the point.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                            Also...as much as I would hate to throw a year away, I think this would be a great year to have a bottom 5 finish. We need a guy like Eric Berry in order to take this defense where it needs to go. If we got that guy....wow. But it would take throwing an entire year away, and I could never wish somethingl like that to happen. But if I have to choose between a 9-7 finish and a 3-13 one, I'll take the 3-13 one all day long. That way we can finally get rid of Wade and make some much needed changes.
                            You too??? Man... c'mon DMW. We're 1-1 and we barely lost to the Giants. No reason to give up now. The last thing I want is a team of quitters because that tells me we are waaaaaay farther behind the competition. "You play to win the game." ;)

To throw the season to get a high pick is blasphemy. Berry is good, but not THAT good. You guys wouldn't even realize if the season was thrown away. If we went 3-13, you'd say that's how good we were.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                              *26th in points allowed per game (26.5)

That is our dallas cowboys [fixed it for you --->]team defense. That sad thing is we are the only team in the league without a sack and we have 0 turnovers. Talk about a huge problem.
                              I interpret that to mean that Dallas has a team full of Pro Bowl quality individual players with talent out the wazoo on paper but seriously lacking team cohesion. I realize it isn't the 1st time you have all heard this, but damn! Just no team defense here. Talk about a huge problem. Sooner than later the critics will point to the coaching staff on defense about this, that will get coaches fired long before the team dumps Scandrick, Carpenter, Wade Phillips' handpicked personal buddy replacement for Zach Thomas, Keith Brooking, etc.

I know the ball bounced against Dallas on the flukish bounceup from Witten's heel, that's just plain old bad luck for the Cowboys, you have to think that kind of luck will even out as season goes on.

Note that teams on the minus side of the turnover ratio rarely see the playoffs, & that has been Dallas' problem in a nutshell.

Comment

• Nobody misses Parcells more than Romo as he was able to keep a pretty tight leash on him and he would actually get reprimanded for turnovers. Before he retired/quit on us Bill gave Tony a list of things he had to do to be successful long term and not just be a flash in the pan. The most important instructions on that list were I don't want/need a celebrity QB, protect the ball in the pocket from strip sacks and don't just throw the ball up for grabs indiscriminately. Not surprisingly, without Bill in his ear Tony has ignored or broken the QB commandments.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information