This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Yeah, he has. Right now I'd be an idiot to bash the OL. If they keep it up, we'll win a lot of games. Regardless of our other problems.
    The o-line is tremendous in the run game. I think they struggle pass protecting due to the schemes they have. It is a coaching problem not the talent on the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
      Well then I guess what we should be arguing about is the level of expectations, rather than his level of play. Do you realize that TO did not even produce those types of numbers? His best season with us totaled 81 catches for 1300 yards (though he was admittedly an extraordinary TD scorer). You are not asking him to be TO, you are asking him to be BETTER THAN TO. That is ridiculous, imo.

And we can agree that his contract was a mistake. I disagreed at the time with it and I disagree now. Whoopee, it's done. Part of the negotiation process is handing out bad deals, everyone does it and its just something you want to minimize, cause you can't avoid it. Its predicting the future and no one can play that game and not get burned. Still, at the time I thought it was completely and utterly unnecessary and significantly above market value considering what he had done in the past. It was absolutely a gaffe on the FO's part.

We are averaging 430 yards per game (198 rushing) and 29 ppg. If we do that for an entire season, we will set franchise records for total yards per game, rushing and scoring and will be among the top 10 offenses of all time in yardage and one of the top 30 or so in scoring. That's the truth. People are so busy complaining they don't realize just how good we've been offensively.

I didn't say 900 to 1000 yards, I said 1100 or so. That means 1100 give or take 75 or 100 yards....so if a range is needed I would say 1000-1200 yards with 70 to 80 catches and 6 to 9 TDs. Health permitting, he will get those numbers this year. What you fail to realize is that we just aren't the type of offense that is going to provide him with the opportunity to get more. TO got as much (in many people's minds, more) opportunity as one could ever reasonably expect and his max catches was 85 while his max yards were 1355. Yet somehow, I get the feeling that if Roy ends this season with 80 catches for 1200 yards you are going to be disappointed and feel that he is a major disappoint. That is beyond my comprehension.
      80 and 1200 would make me happy -- but that is a pipe dream. I'll honestly be shocked if he breaks 1000 and 65-70 catches with 6 td's. I see that as his cap, which is far to low to be considered an "elite" receiver or even a good #1

Not saying anyone here is calling him elite, but the ransom we gave up for him would strongly indicate that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
        80 and 1200 would make me happy -- but that is a pipe dream. I'll honestly be shocked if he breaks 1000 and 65-70 catches with 6 td's. I see that as his cap, which is far to low to be considered an "elite" receiver or even a good #1

Not saying anyone here is calling him elite, but the ransom we gave up for him would strongly indicate that.
        Don't be angry at Roy Williams that Jerry Jones is an idiot.

That is just misplaced.

Comment

• Tashard Choice is a beast. I loved him in college and was sad to see him go to the Cowboys after they already took Felix Jones but I'm glad to see him get some playing time. Something I noticed last night is he never went down behind the line of scrimmage. Even when there's not much room to run he always at least gets back to the line. He picked up the blitz well and he did very well catching the ball too. I can't wait to see how he performs when he's getting at least 50% of the carries for an extended period of time.

I also just made my last forum mock pick, here are all of my new Cowboys.

14. Trent Williams, OT Oklahoma
          36. Allen Bailey, DT Miami
          78. Bruce Campbell, OT Maryland
          110. Mike Williams, WR Syracuse

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
            Don't be angry at Roy Williams that Jerry Jones is an idiot.

That is just misplaced.
            Probably the best point anyone has made so far. I have been hating on Roy, mostly over his "busting" in terms of what we gave up for him -- but you're right. Not his fault. Jerry just way overpaid.

I still think we could have had him for a similar price in FA. and even if it was slightly higher, I would of much rather had the draft picks.

Comment

Man, I think we're not still using him properly. How many slant routes have you seen thrown in his direction? Be patient, it's only week 3. It's hard to blame his performance against the Giants, because Romo was clearly off. Monday he had a good game, not great but good. He dropped a TD but he was also overthrown on a deep ball that he had a good chance to catch. And I also think that Romo was scared to throw to his receiver in the first half.
              I also don't buy the "broken coverage" argument. A lot of great WRs pad their stats on broken coverages or missed tackles. Look at Desean Jackson, he had 70 yards TD this week just because the Chiefs defense screw it up big time.
              I know you're a "the sky is falling" type of guy, but I think you should be more patient. Let's talk again about Roy in week 10, it's too early now ;)

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by ricowboy View Post
                The o-line is tremendous in the run game. I think they struggle pass protecting due to the schemes they have. It is a coaching problem not the talent on the line.
                But they really haven't struggled in pass protection so far. They've given up 3 sacks in 3 games, and I would argue that if you go back and look at the tape, much of the pressure early in Monday's game was more due to Felix's poor blitz pick up than the OL.

The OL, IMO, is one area that has not been a concern so far.
                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Right now he is on course to have about 50 receptions for 950 yards, which is obviously not good numbers. However, Romo just had his career worst game last week, so those projections are likely skewed. I think the 4-6 catches a week number will hold up and he will get on average about 70-80 yards a game. Week 1 and 3 both support that, and in week 2 we couldn't get anything going as a passing team. If he puts up those numbers he will end out with 70-80 receptions for 1120-1280 yards.

I really think this is all over reacting. Once Roy has that one big game where he goes for 150+ and 2 TDs all this talk is going to stop.

I don't think he is an elite guy, but I do think he has a chance to be in that next tier down with the "very good" ones.
                  Originally posted by 21ST
                  He was protecting his self
                  Originally posted by tjsunstein
                  From what? His leg?
                  Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                  That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                  "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• The 2 TE package is a big part of the reason we've run for 200 yards in consecutive games for the first time since 79 as Beans and Rice are both excellent blockers and force defenses to play nickel to cover both talented receiving TEs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                      But they really haven't struggled in pass protection so far. They've given up 3 sacks in 3 games, and I would argue that if you go back and look at the tape, much of the pressure early in Monday's game was more due to Felix's poor blitz pick up than the OL.

The OL, IMO, is one area that has not been a concern so far.

Exactly.

How on earth do you get the idea that we've struggled in pass pro? Romo has had plenty of time to throw for the majority of the first 3 games. Right now we're on pace to allow 16 sacks for the season, which would be among the 2 or 3 fewest in the league in a given season. Our OL has been the best part of our team so far, both in the running game and the passing game. Absolutely dominant.
                      From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Now if we can just run the ball out of anything besides a draw, we'd really be considered a power running team.

Right now, the trickery is working, so that's nice, I guess.

Comment

Now if we can just run the ball out of anything besides a draw, we'd really be considered a power running team.

D, you should be estatic over our O-line play. The last few years they were the weak link of the team. How many times have we posted about who we should draft to replace our sorry O-linemen? This has to be the best/biggest surprise of the season up to now. No matter what we are doing, its working and working well.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Also, a list of receivers who Roy Williams has either outgained or is within 10 yards of after week three:

Larry Fitzgerald
                            Housh
                            Roddy White
                            Anquan Boldin
                            Calvin Johnson
                            TO
                            Dwayne Bowe

among many others. Its a little early, as the above list proves. Roy's doing fine and our offense has been terrific. There is no reason to freak out, at least about that. There are many other issues that are much more signficant.
                            From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by dpl85 View Post
                              The 2 TE package is a big part of the reason we've run for 200 yards in consecutive games for the first time since 79 as Beans and Rice are both excellent blockers and force defenses to play nickel to cover both talented receiving TEs.
                              Beans and Rice? Hahaha that's a good nickname. They're a luxury to have out there, that's for sure. Once Garrett figures out how to use Bennett then they'll be a nightmare for many teams.
                              "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                              ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Now if we can just run the ball out of anything besides a draw, we'd really be considered a power running team.

I think 50% of Emmitt's yards were on lead draws .... so long as the passing game is a threat this play works.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information