X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNabb's been awful against the blitz

October 28, 2009 11:33 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

If I told you Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo had by far the best numbers against the blitz among NFC East quarterbacks, would you believe me? Well, that's exactly what the fine folks at ESPN's Stats & Information are telling me this morning.

Romo has the 10th best passer rating in the league (98.9) when teams bring at least one extra defender. Romo's thrown four touchdowns against the blitz and only one interception. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is the best in the league against the blitz with a 136.7 rating. He's an astounding 40-of-51 for 706 yards, four touchdowns and only one interception.

If not for the dreadful work against the blitz by Jake Delhomme and Derek Anderson, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb would be the worst in the league with his 39.6 rating. He's 4-of-19 for 40 yards against the blitz. McNabb doesn't have nearly as many attempts against the blitz as other quarterbacks because he missed time with that rib injury. But he's about to make up for lost time when the Giants come to town Sunday. I think Bill Sheridan will send blitzes from all over the field. And Osi Umenyiora will be eager to face his old friend Winston Justice, the man who helped seal his first Pro Bowl appearance.

Giants quarterback Eli Manning is ranked 19th in the league with an 85.1 rating, but he's thrown for more touchdowns (7) against the blitz than any other quarterback. Only Tom Brady has attempted more passes against the blitz (98) than Manning's 96.

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell checks in four spots behind Manning with a 77.9 passer rating. He's thrown for two touchdowns and three interceptions against the blitz. And by the way, Eagles backup quarterback Kevin Kolb checked in right behind Manning at No. 2o with an 83.7 rating. He threw for three touchdowns and three interceptions against the blitz.

Thanks once again to ESPN's Stats and Information group for passing this along. It's a tremendous resource for the Beast.

Romo is 10th in the NFL against the blitz this year.

Comment

• I'd be interested in seeing how many of those incompletions were drops.

Comment

• Good article crisco. We all knew Wade is a blitzer, but it looks like it could work in Dallas' favor against the teams in the division. It looks like the pass rush is finally coming around too. They've got at least 3 sacks in the past four games. Marcus Spears has two sacks too. He's been playing better this year, and not many has noticed it. Maybe getting some sack stats will give him some validity in people's eyes.
        "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
        ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
          I'd be interested in seeing how many of those incompletions were drops.
          Are you questioning your receivers? If so, don't tell me how good they are. lol.

Comment

• Here are some interesting reads too

http://www.themaddenlab.com/communit...stat-guys.html

And this one has Romo ranked 3rd in the NFL in passer rating, he does his ratings unique and breaks Romo down

http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2009/...om-week-6.html

Comment

• STOP IT!

People want us to believe like they do... That Tony Turnover SUCKS!!!!! Some people even wanted us to start Kitna. *face palm*
              Last edited by D-Unit; 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                STOP IT!

People want us to believe like they do... That Tony Turnover SUCKS!!!!! Some people even wanted us to start Kitna. *face palm*
                I stand by that as a motivational tool, look what it did to McNabb last year. Obviously they got to Romo without doing that, good! I am glad that putting Kitna in wasn't necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                  I stand by that as a motivational tool, look what it did to McNabb last year. Obviously they got to Romo without doing that, good! I am glad that putting Kitna in wasn't necessary.
                  I forgot that you were on that side. I thought I remembered dpl, lizard and thule all thinking it.

As a motivational tool I'm fine with a move like that based off timing. I didn't agree it was the right time at all.

Comment

I forgot that you were on that side. I thought I remembered dpl, lizard and thule all thinking it.

As a motivational tool I'm fine with a move like that based off timing. I didn't agree it was the right time at all.
                    Thankfully, we'll never know.

Comment

• On another note, did anyone notice that Danny Amendola is 2nd in the league behind Josh Cribbs in Kick returns? I'm happy for him he seemed like a good dude.

sauce - http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...ickReturnYards

Comment

Are you questioning your receivers? If so, don't tell me how good they are. lol.
                        Fair enough. I'll let you preach on about the greatness of Roy Williams.

Comment

Miles Austin bitches!!!!!!

Lol no but seriously, I was a big advocate of Roy having the talent to be that #1 guy, but I'm also not a homer, and he's yet to prove it yet to me but I'm going to let the season play out and see how it goes.

Austin has looked so much more explosive everytime he catches the ball this year then Roy has but that's just what my eyes have showed me. I still think Roy wasn't getting the looks he needed earlier, last week he was hurt and it was obvious. It was obvious, even earlier this year when he wasn't performing that well he looked much better then last week but I really do still think he can have games, and times like vs Tampa Bay where he is being a stud.

I realized we gave up too much a long time ago, but I won't ***** and cry about it like some Cowboy fans will, because at worse I think Roy can be an over priced #2 WR for us who fits very well opposite Miles.

Can't wait to judge Roy on his entire body of work this year, and not just in spurts, but when I found out that Austin had more yards in the last 2 weeks then Roy in his entire tenture with Dallas Damn that just sounds terrible no matter how you look at it.

I wasn't directing that post towards you or anything, just that I was coming to make a post about him and I just happened to see his name in the last post lol.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel View Post
                            On another note, did anyone notice that Danny Amendola is 2nd in the league behind Josh Cribbs in Kick returns? I'm happy for him he seemed like a good dude.

sauce - http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...ickReturnYards
                            He's actually getting PT there in the offense as well. Kind of shows you how thin the Rams are at WR. Good for Danny, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                            KO KNOWS

Comment

• Does anyone else notice that when Tony throws to Roy, a lot of his passes are erratic? Yet, he throws to Miles and he's spot on every, single, time.

Tony hates Roy!!!!!!!

jk ;)

Comment

Quote me buddy. Sorry you won't find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information