Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Ward View Post
    I choose to give Stephen Jones any credit for post-Parcells success :D
    At least Stephen is getting some OJT for the day when Jerry's liver explodes from one too many mojitos & he takes over the team.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      Not gonna predict.. but I hope Hamlin and Crayton get cut.

      If Jerry really is high on Doug Free, then I want Jerry to put his money where his mouth is and cut Flozell too. Otherwise, draft a damn LT in Round 1! LOL. :p

      I wouldn't be shocked if he cut Roy Williams or Terence Newman. Hard to say though.
      It's been interesting to hear Brian Broadus talk about Free. He said the film shows that he's a good athlete with good feet. He's certainly got the athleticism to play LT at a high level. The big issue, which we won't know until he gets some extended time, is his strength. He's just not a real powerful guy.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


      -Douglas MacArthur

      Comment


      • Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
        It was Kevin Williams over Terence Newman.
        No, Kevin Williams was the Roy Williams draft. He wanted Dewayne Robertson over Terence Newman, but luckily he never had the chance to pull that trigger.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Supporting Caste View Post
          No, Kevin Williams was the Roy Williams draft. He wanted Dewayne Robertson over Terence Newman, but luckily he never had the chance to pull that trigger.
          No, it actually was Kevin Williams that he wanted, and Jerry wanted Newman.





          Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
            It's been interesting to hear Brian Broadus talk about Free. He said the film shows that he's a good athlete with good feet. He's certainly got the athleticism to play LT at a high level. The big issue, which we won't know until he gets some extended time, is his strength. He's just not a real powerful guy.
            It's also difficult if all you have film of is the preseason. The fact that he doesn't have sufficient power after being in the NFL this long is concerning if true. Free was a considered a strong weight lifter in college. I'm not ready to call his strength a hinderance until I see it for myself on the field.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
              No, it actually was Kevin Williams that he wanted, and Jerry wanted Newman.
              Haha... You're both kinda right... and wrong.

              Parcells wanted to trade up for Dewayne Robertson, but couldn't and he got taken 1 pick ahead of us. When we were on the clock, Parcells then wanted Kevin Williams. Jerry said no. We took Newman and Williams went #9 to Minnesota.

              That was Parcells' first draft with us. He wasn't with us in 2002 when we took Roy Williams.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                Haha... You're both kinda right... and wrong.

                Parcells wanted to trade up for Dewayne Robertson, but couldn't and he got taken 1 pick ahead of us. When we were on the clock, Parcells then wanted Kevin Williams. Jerry said no. We took Newman and Williams went #9 to Minnesota.

                That was Parcells' first draft with us. He wasn't with us in 2002 when we took Roy Williams.
                And this goes to my point that Jerry was more in charge first two years than Duane.

                And post Duane any player success is Jerry IMHO.

                Comment


                • I'm not voting for the Pro Bowl yet, but I was wondering who y'all think so far has played Pro Bowl level on the Cowboys. Here's who I think are worthy:

                  -Romo
                  -Miles(if he keeps this pace)
                  -Gurode
                  -Davis
                  -Ratliff
                  -Jenkins

                  Other possibles would be Flozell, Kosier, Ware, and Brooking.
                  "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                  ~Nigerian Proverb

                  Da riddum is too much for you.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                    And this goes to my point that Jerry was more in charge first two years than Duane.

                    And post Duane any player success is Jerry IMHO.
                    Duane? lol

                    But between Jerry and Bill... I honestly felt they worked together pretty well. I think it's true that when it came to the first round picks that Jerry always wanted a stronger say in the matter, but after that Parcells was able to do what he wanted. That first draft is a prime example. Jerry controlled the first pick, but Bill definitely got his guy Al Johnson in Round 2... then continued with Witten, Bradie, BJ Tucker, Zuriel Smith, Justin Bates...

                    Bill had his boys fly up to interview Johnson in Wisconsin to make sure that his beer incident wasn't a big problem. He loved Al Johnson. Wouldn't make much sense to call it a Jerry move. Jerry drafted another Center, Gurode in Round 2 in just the previous year.

                    Overall it was a very good draft and both Jerry and Bill deserve credit.


                    As for the second year... that was a Parcells draft through and through. The infamous Julius Jones draft. So I disagree with you point.
                    Last edited by D-Unit; 11-12-2009, 01:42 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      Duane? Who's that?
                      Duane Charles Parcells

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ward View Post
                        Thanks. Yeah I figured it out shortly after posting. I was thrown off by that. :p

                        Comment


                        • Here is an interesting stat I ran across on FO today.

                          They have defenses ranked using their DVOA for passes attemped at yards.
                          Dallas ranks like this against
                          #1 WR - 10 8.2att 63.2yards
                          #2 WR - 18 8.1att 70.4yards
                          Other WR - 27 5.5att 45.4yards
                          TE - 25 7.0att 47.9yards
                          RB - 32 6.9att 46.6yards

                          32nd! in the league against the pass to the RB and 25th in the league against the TE. As solid as Keith Brooking has been to our team...we still have a major issue on this team. I wonder if this will hurt us down the stretch.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by thule View Post
                            Here is an interesting stat I ran across on FO today.

                            They have defenses ranked using their DVOA for passes attemped at yards.
                            Dallas ranks like this against
                            #1 WR - 10 8.2att 63.2yards
                            #2 WR - 18 8.1att 70.4yards
                            Other WR - 27 5.5att 45.4yards
                            TE - 25 7.0att 47.9yards
                            RB - 32 6.9att 46.6yards

                            32nd! in the league against the pass to the RB and 25th in the league against the TE. As solid as Keith Brooking has been to our team...we still have a major issue on this team. I wonder if this will hurt us down the stretch.
                            I hate to beat a dead horse, but Bobby Carpenter's name should be stickied to those stats. He can't shed a block to save his life and is too easily taken out of the play whether being baited to overpursue, taking the wrong angle, or diving at grass.

                            I hope our coaches are smart enough to recognize that and make adjustments. Sure would be interesting to see what Jason Williams is about. Is he just done for the season or what?

                            Comment


                            • So Carpenter who plays only 3rd down is to blame but not the SS or other ILB who are there the rest of the time?

                              Considering staff has been praising Bobby and his ability to cover the TEs in this division ....

                              What TE has killed us this season?? Um, none.

                              I remember this identical discussion on Bradie and Roy Williams when I used stats pointing out how poor our coverage was versus RB and TE. But now it is different.

                              Shame.

                              And fact is the only game this year our coverage sucked was GMen and Tampa and last quarter of the KC game. I will give us a pass on the Denver fluke play.
                              Last edited by herniateddisc; 11-13-2009, 07:47 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                It's also difficult if all you have film of is the preseason. The fact that he doesn't have sufficient power after being in the NFL this long is concerning if true. Free was a considered a strong weight lifter in college. I'm not ready to call his strength a hinderance until I see it for myself on the field.
                                I didn't gather that Broadus felt that he couldn't be effective. He was actually very complimentary; he just made the point that he's probably never going to be a road grater.
                                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                                -Douglas MacArthur

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information