This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
    So Carpenter who plays only 3rd down is to blame but not the SS or other ILB who are there the rest of the time?

Considering staff has been praising Bobby and his ability to cover the TEs in this division ....

What TE has killed us this season?? Um, none.

I remember this identical discussion on Bradie and Roy Williams when I used stats pointing out how poor our coverage was versus RB and TE. But now it is different.

Shame.

And fact is the only game this year our coverage sucked was GMen and Tampa and last quarter of the KC game. I will give us a pass on the Denver fluke play.
    Carp is in on more than just 3rd down, but yea... it seems the light is finally coming on as far as covering TEs go. Run stuffing? Blitzing? That's another story. He just doesn't come of or through blocks very successfully.

But anyways, lemme ask you... do you credit the coaching staff for developing Carpenter?

Comment

• Well, Carp's strength has always been using his speed and athleticism. The role he's playing right now, he can be decent. The problem is when it comes to playing physical (running game), he is on roller skates.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        Carp is in on more than just 3rd down, but yea... it seems the light is finally coming on as far as covering TEs go. Run stuffing? Blitzing? That's another story. He just doesn't come of or through blocks very successfully.

But anyways, lemme ask you... do you credit the coaching staff for developing Carpenter?
        I credit the previous coaching staff for mistaking a 6'2 240 LB for an OLB in a 2 Gap 3-4 and I credit this staff for destroying Carpenter's confidence and career.

I hated the pick and will always hate drafting a 3-4 OLB who is not 6'4+.

But fact remains, he played pretty well last half his rookie season and was coming along. Again, I point to the Seattle play off game where he was the best Cowboy defender that day. Just one day but good enough to say wow ..... at least respectable.

Three months later they drafted Mohawk Knucklehead Spencer who was not even the best DE/OLB prospect in the Big Ten. The best and most effective was Woodley. (**Similar to the Breaston v Ginn debate and fact was UoM guys were being dissed left right and center**)

The fact he got later moved inside was a mistake b/c as pointed out he is not stout. He is a 4-3 OLB, plain and simple, and always will be.

So he is playing better now. Great. He still sucks for 1st rounder.
        Last edited by herniateddisc; 11-13-2009, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I credit the coaching staff for destroying Carpenter.

But fact remains, he played pretty well last half his rookie season and was coming along. Again, I point to the Seattle play off game where he was the best Cowboy defender that day. Just one day but good enough to say wow .....

Two months later they drafted Mohawk Knucklehead Spencer who was not even the best DE/OLB prospect in the Big Ten. The best and most effective was Woodley. (**Similar to the Breaston v Ginn debate and fact was UoM guys were being dissed left right and center**)

The fact he got later moved inside was a mistake b/c as pointed out he is not stout. He is a 4-3 OLB, plain and simple, and always will be.

Funny, when we drafted him you said "Spencer: B -- Best rusher in the draft"
          No mention of Woodley then. Love the hindsight though.:p

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
            Funny, when we drafted him you said "Spencer: B -- Best rusher in the draft"
            No mention of Woodley then. Love the hindsight though.:p
            I loved Woodley but never wanted an OLB at all that draft -- at least not early.

My Spencer opinion .... have to check but one thing is the move to secure him (dumb) and whether or not he could play. Everyone liked his play but Woodley was hands down best pass rusher. Spencer however was considered a bit bigger and more stout at the POA -- Woodley was considered too short for DE and OLB.

In fact, I even stated I thought Woodley had the skills to an ILB even if OB was best for his career and for sack impact.

BTW, I ranted for Sidney Rice BTW after trading out #22 and having those early picks in the second.
            Last edited by herniateddisc; 11-13-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I loved Woodley but never wanted an OLB at all that draft -- at least not early.

My Spencer opinion .... have to check but one thing is the move to secure him (dumb) and whether or not he could play. Everyone liked his play but Woodley was hands down best pass rusher. Spencer however was considered a bit bigger and more stout at the POA -- Woodley was considered too short for DE and OLB.

In fact, I even stated I thought Woodley had the skills to an ILB even if OB was best for his career and for sack impact.

BTW, I ranted for Sidney Rice BTW after trading out #22 and having those early picks in the second.
              Yup, I remember you wanting Rice and you were right on. I drafted him on my FFL team and hes a stud. Props!!!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• This was my gut shot .......

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                Oh well, Jerry give and Jerry take.

Bad trade. Reached into 1 when could have had him at 36.

Funny b/c NFL Network guys are trashing the trade as well as Cowboys safety play.

This is why I hate Jerry. He falls in love with players and loses his brain.... Roy Williams contract as an example. Anthony Spencer at 26 giving Philly an extra 3rd even worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                  It's been interesting to hear Brian Broadus talk about Free. He said the film shows that he's a good athlete with good feet. He's certainly got the athleticism to play LT at a high level. The big issue, which we won't know until he gets some extended time, is his strength. He's just not a real powerful guy.
                  The thing is that was the scouting report coming out of college. If strength is still an issue after this long...I think it makes it pretty clear that his frame or work ethic won't allow for him to gain the needed muscle to allow him to get rid of that knock.

Comment

• If you look at the past viking drafts they drafted almost all of the players that I have been high on. It's almost sickening.

I wanted to trade up for Peterson. Rice had the fastest 10 yard split of all the WR in that class. I was extremely high on McCauley even going as far as to draft him in the first round. Robison was a workout stud...But I always called him Robinson and ward always corrected me. Allison was a stud at the senior bowl. Scary to think that they drafted almost exactly like I would have.

1 7 Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
                    2 44 Sidney Rice WR South Carolina
                    3 72 Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State
                    4 102 Brian Robison DE Texas
                    5 146 Aundrae Allison WR East Carolina

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                      The thing is that was the scouting report coming out of college. If strength is still an issue after this long...I think it makes it pretty clear that his frame or work ethic won't allow for him to gain the needed muscle to allow him to get rid of that knock.
                      You need to read my second post. He was not implying that he cant' play. In fact, he was pretty complimentary. His point was that he's never going to be a road grater, but he should be able to play LT in this league at a fairly high level.
                      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        You need to read my second post. He was not implying that he cant' play. In fact, he was pretty complimentary. His point was that he's never going to be a road grater, but he should be able to play LT in this league at a fairly high level.
                        I've never been disappointed with his play on the field. But I'm not confident going into the season with him starting. I think we should draft interior OL early and then if we have problems we have a temporary backup solution in Davis.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                          If you look at the past viking drafts they drafted almost all of the players that I have been high on. It's almost sickening.........
                          I called their 2007 the best that very day. I was right and I was called insane.

Comment

I called their 2007 the best that very day. I was right and I was called insane.
                            Let's get those guys that called you insane! Let's get them I say!!!

Comment

I credit the previous coaching staff for mistaking a 6'2 240 LB for an OLB in a 2 Gap 3-4 and I credit this staff for destroying Carpenter's confidence and career.

But fact remains, he played pretty well last half his rookie season and was coming along. Again, I point to the Seattle play off game where he was the best Cowboy defender that day. Just one day but good enough to say wow ..... at least respectable.

Three months later they drafted Mohawk Knucklehead Spencer who was not even the best DE/OLB prospect in the Big Ten. The best and most effective was Woodley. (**Similar to the Breaston v Ginn debate and fact was UoM guys were being dissed left right and center**)

I also blame Parcells for picking Carpenter but putting him at ILB was a good move. Parcells didn't know Ellis was going to transition so smoothly. ...and moving Carp to ILB gave him the best chance at playing time. Carp is still best at ILB in our scheme. Drafting Spencer wasn't overriding Carp. Carp was an ILB when Wade got here. I didn't like Spencer as a prospect as well, though I became a supporter and looked for positives once we drafted him.

Carpenter's confidence can't be blamed on Wade though. I don't even think Bobby himself would agree to that. Chalk him up as another OSU LB bust... in the long line of OSU busts.

I liked the trade down with Cleveland and then the trade up for Spencer.

Comment

• If we would have left Carpenter at SOLB as Parcells envisioned we would be a better team now because we would have

a) Kept Burnett
                                b) Not wasted a 2nd and 3rd in that 2007 draft.

So, that is my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information