This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    If that's not Garrett's job responsibility then we have a wrong guy handing out everyone's assigned responsibilities. LOL.
    That's not JG's job to design those plays. That's the special team's coaches job. You do have a special team's coach right? He is the one that draws those plays up and sets the protection and everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
      I personally have no issues with Romo doing it. It gives you more options in fake kick scenarios.
      If they do fake a FG attempt, or even an extra point, they will be due -- I don't think Dallas has faked a FG attempt since Landry was HC. Those are rare in the NFL, all the more reason to try it.

When I 1st saw this I wondered if maybe they had rehired Avezzano as ST coach, I'm still pissed that he allowed the Eagles to get away with that onsides kick they used several yrs ago on the opening KO in the opener game that Philly went on to beat them. he may have been one of the worst ST coaches in NFL history.

If Romo can learn from his mega-mistake in Seattle a couple of yrs ago (& if he's ever read the novel or seen the film North Dallas 40 which forecast it exactly) then I have no trouble with him holding, Tony, just handle the damn ball from the snap & turn the laces toward the goal posts, it's not rocket science. If he repeats history though, put Kitna or Hurd in.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        Actually, it is. Decamillis doesnt call or draw up those type of plays.

You are wrong. As Banning said, that is Joe D. Now Garrett might have input.

But that wasn't really my point. I was talking about who calls the fakes. That is Wade's call 100%.
        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          Do you really need to ask this question? You really see no problem with your starting QB as the holder?

No. I absolutely do not see a problem here. Could something negative happen, sure, but I can't really remember the last time a holder got injured. Is it the optimal situation, No, but this is being blown way out of proportion.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
            You are wrong. As Banning said, that is Joe D. Now Garrett might have input.

But that wasn't really my point. I was talking about who calls the fakes. That is Wade's call 100%.
            He has input if he is asked. But coaches AT ALL LEVELS are very anal about coaching your specific position. Meaning if JG is the OC then worry about that side, if I am the special teams coach, that's my section. Only the HC can come and tell me what to do, or suggest stuff. Now if I am the special teams coach, and I want to run something by JG then that's cool.

But if you see any offensive playbook, you never see special teams stuff in there. It's not part of the scope of work. That will be in the specials teams playbook. Where to line up, punt coverage, return, kick off return, coverage, onside kick, protections, left return, middle right, and so on. FG unit block and defend, and any special things are all the special teams coach.

Comment

• Jerry Jones is publically questioning the use of Marion Barber now.

how do you guys feel about that? i think its a major mistake whenever he does this. he's the owner, not a coach. even if he feels the way he feels (which many times is an accurate assessment), you don't go out and publically say stuff like that. it just makes things worse.

and Wade already said nothing is going to change. so your coaching staff is obviously in disagreement. why publically question your coaching staff like that?

why should the players respond to the coaches when the owner, the guy cutting their checks, is questioning the coach?

its just a bad idea to be so forthcoming to the media, especially right now when pressure is at an all time high this season on the team to perform. youre just making it tougher on your team.

i don't get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                He has input if he is asked. But coaches AT ALL LEVELS are very anal about coaching your specific position. Meaning if JG is the OC then worry about that side, if I am the special teams coach, that's my section. Only the HC can come and tell me what to do, or suggest stuff. Now if I am the special teams coach, and I want to run something by JG then that's cool.

But if you see any offensive playbook, you never see special teams stuff in there. It's not part of the scope of work. That will be in the specials teams playbook. Where to line up, punt coverage, return, kick off return, coverage, onside kick, protections, left return, middle right, and so on. FG unit block and defend, and any special things are all the special teams coach.
                I agree with you. My point was something to the effect that when Joe D is working through a fake in practice, he may ask Garrett what route would be best for this guy to run or something like that.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  Jerry Jones is publically questioning the use of Marion Barber now.

how do you guys feel about that? i think its a major mistake whenever he does this. he's the owner, not a coach. even if he feels the way he feels (which many times is an accurate assessment), you don't go out and publically say stuff like that. it just makes things worse.

and Wade already said nothing is going to change. so your coaching staff is obviously in disagreement. why publically question your coaching staff like that?

why should the players respond to the coaches when the owner, the guy cutting their checks, is questioning the coach?

its just a bad idea to be so forthcoming to the media, especially right now when pressure is at an all time high this season on the team to perform. youre just making it tougher on your team.

i don't get it.
                  You know, we've all become calous to it. We're never really surprised by what JJ does. I would be willing to bet he and Wade have already discussed it. Wade isn't going to tell the media if they were planning to make a strategic change like that. So I don't really view it as a blatant questioning of the coaches. I don't think JJ holds his toungue around the ranch; I don't think he makes a practice of waiting to use the media to relay a message to his staff.

Frankly, I'm glad he said it because he's right! MBIII was at his best when he was a closer. He obviously hasn't been as effective over the last couple of years. STill a good player, but he's just getting too many carries.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                    I agree with you. My point was something to the effect that when Joe D is working through a fake in practice, he may ask Garrett what route would be best for this guy to run or something like that.
                    Yeah that could be true. I guess one way to figure it out is to ask coach Garrett when I see him or coach Campo. I am still waiting to ask on what happened with him and Newman. So that should be interesting.

But yeah if a coach asks for help people give it, but usually, from what I was taught you don't go butting into someone elses part of the ball.

Comment

Yeah that could be true. I guess one way to figure it out is to ask coach Garrett when I see him or coach Campo. I am still waiting to ask on what happened with him and Newman. So that should be interesting.

But yeah if a coach asks for help people give it, but usually, from what I was taught you don't go butting into someone elses part of the ball.
                      I'm glad we have you here to help clarify things for us.

Comment

• If they wanted to add that wrinkle, you bet it would be Garrett who drew it up. Guaranteed. It was discussed as much earlier in the year when he said, he was working on some potential plays for Crayton, when he was working to be our holder. Garrett has more control then many know.

It may end up being a group deal coming from the top but, if you think it would be Decamillis' idea, now that's just silly.
                        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 12-11-2009, 01:14 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

Comment

• I have no problem with JJ bitching this year. He's probably reiterating what his son says in private. I'm glad he's come out and said he's not happy with the use of our running game. There were signs that he was nervous about Garrett when the season began (attempting to sign Dan Reeves) and it does seem like he's been souring on him. It took forever for him to take notice that Garrett abandons the run all too frequently and Felix is terribly under used. I'm just glad he's finally calling Garrett out on these matters. Maybe a public setting isnt the best place to do so, but Garrett has been a stubborn guy...maybe that's the only way he'll get the point.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Any idea on the next time you'll be seeing him?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• but publically questioning your coaches hurts their credibility in the lockerroom.

Why should a player listen to what a coach is trying to sell him if the owner isn't buying it himself?

If you want to play team football, everybody has to buy in, even if what the coach is selling is wrong. The individualism in the cowboy organization is a big part of the December slumps.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                                but publically questioning your coaches hurts their credibility in the lockerroom.

Why should a player listen to what a coach is trying to sell him if the owner isn't buying it himself?

If you want to play team football, everybody has to buy in, even if what the coach is selling is wrong. The individualism in the cowboy organization is a big part of the December slumps.
                                I wouldnt be surprised if JJ has confronted Garrett about all these things in private before to no avail. I agree it's not the best way to do things at all...but, JG has been proven to be terribly stubborn with his play calling in his short time here. Maybe it's JJ just getting desperate, trying to pressure Garrett into changing. I wouldnt worry about any potential locker room rifts...but I still agree, it's not the best way to go about it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information