Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ricowboy View Post
    Carroll does a great job of hyping his guys to the NFL for recruiting purposes. It appears that Minus Polamalu no DB has had a great impact from USC. Mays is a talented college player......So wasn't Darnell Bing. Thomas is a great prospect if he comes out? Also, don't write off OL or DL. we may just get a prospect to drop. I know we all want the playmaker......It is the sexy pick. One thing that JJ doesn't understand is that sexy is not always the best pick. Look at the 05 draft.....11 players went before Ware and Merriman. Clearly Ware and Merriman were not the playmakers in college that the previous 11 were, but they are the best picks from 05! Would you pass up a higher rated DL or OL for a player with a weaker grade?
    Terrell Thomas says Hi. Kevin Ellison ain't so bad either, even though he got bashed during the draft process. I don't know their history to a T, but I never bought the theory that certain schools can't produce players at specific positions because history doesn't back it up. Do you?

    I dunno what makes you think Carroll hypes his guys up any more than any other coach. He sure didn't hype up Matt Sanchez for the scouts.

    With how shallow this draft is in the secondary and how deep it is at OL... I think we have to go secondary... especially when we have starting positions to fill there. A lot too. I think we need a starting CB and 2 new starting safeties. I think we should look to FA to help us out some, but this draft is pretty shallow with DBs. NTs are shallow too, but what 3-4 teams really draft NTs in Round 1? I dunno about that. If FA doesn't help us out at all (Hampton, Wilfork), then maybe Terence Cody or Dan Williams makes some sense. With Round 2 looking to have good talent at CB, I think Safety or LT makes the most sense value wise for our 1st rounder. ...when you consider Doug Free... Jerry might write off LT being a first round need altogether.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      Terrell Thomas says Hi. Kevin Ellison ain't so bad either, even though he got bashed during the draft process. I don't know their history to a T, but I never bought the theory that certain schools can't produce players at specific positions because history doesn't back it up. Do you?

      I dunno what makes you think Carroll hypes his guys up any more than any other coach. He sure didn't hype up Matt Sanchez for the scouts.

      With how shallow this draft is in the secondary and how deep it is at OL... I think we have to go secondary... especially when we have starting positions to fill there. A lot too. I think we need a starting CB and 2 new starting safeties. I think we should look to FA to help us out some, but this draft is pretty shallow with DBs. NTs are shallow too, but what 3-4 teams really draft NTs in Round 1? I dunno about that. If FA doesn't help us out at all (Hampton, Wilfork), then maybe Terence Cody or Dan Williams makes some sense. With Round 2 looking to have good talent at CB, I think Safety or LT makes the most sense value wise for our 1st rounder. ...when you consider Doug Free... Jerry might write off LT being a first round need altogether.
      Sanchez was Carroll's chance at another title this year.

      Remember, I said great impact.....Thomas and Ellison are not exactly pro bowl material. Neither would be starting for us!

      The Pats and Steelers draft NT's in Rd 1(Wilfork and Hampton). Two teams battling for the team of the decade!

      Do you really think we need that much help in the secondary? Seems like alot....

      Hey, All I want is a great football player on this team......I favor DL and OL because they appear to me as needs and this years draft is deep at both positions.

      Comment


      • I don't know if weve been talking about it yet, but Columbo has been cleared to practice which is great news. We know we have a starter now in Free, wonder if we try and get him some reps at LT anytime soon just to see how he holds up in practice.


        Columbo is looking to return for the 1st round of the playoffs if we make it, not sure how rusty he'll be or not.





        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ricowboy View Post
          Sanchez was Carroll's chance at another title this year.

          Remember, I said great impact.....Thomas and Ellison are not exactly pro bowl material. Neither would be starting for us!

          The Pats and Steelers draft NT's in Rd 1(Wilfork and Hampton). Two teams battling for the team of the decade!

          Do you really think we need that much help in the secondary? Seems like alot....

          Hey, All I want is a great football player on this team......I favor DL and OL because they appear to me as needs and this years draft is deep at both positions.
          So you think Carroll does more than any other HC does as far as hyping up his players? That's odd.

          Didn't realize Hampton was a first rounder. So my bad. But as I previously said, if FA doesn't get us one then Cody or Williams makes sense. Neither are better than Mays or Thomas, imo.

          I do think our secondary needs that much help. Newman, Hamlin and even Sensabaugh are very mediocre... if not flat out bad... not to mention our depth.

          I think you don't realize how good Terrell Thomas is. He's on par with Jenkins as far as I'm concerned. I'd take him right now over Newman... Easily.

          I'm all for DL or OL. It's just that when you break it down... you need to come to certain conclusions...

          If OT, then you need to come to the conclusion that Doug Free is NOT the answer. I'm all for getting a LT, but I'm unsure what Jerry thinks about it. OG and C are never first round needs.

          If DL, then it has to be a NT and FA was unfruitful. DE is deep in this draft. Easier to wait.

          I'll be happy if we address LT, NT or S in Round 1. But there's a certain order on the board.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            So you think Carroll does more than any other HC does as far as hyping up his players? That's odd.

            Didn't realize Hampton was a first rounder. So my bad. But as I previously said, if FA doesn't get us one then Cody or Williams makes sense. Neither are better than Mays or Thomas, imo.

            I do think our secondary needs that much help. Newman, Hamlin and even Sensabaugh are very mediocre... if not flat out bad... not to mention our depth.

            I think you don't realize how good Terrell Thomas is. He's on par with Jenkins as far as I'm concerned. I'd take him right now over Newman... Easily.

            I'm all for DL or OL. It's just that when you break it down... you need to come to certain conclusions...

            If OT, then you need to come to the conclusion that Doug Free is NOT the answer. I'm all for getting a LT, but I'm unsure what Jerry thinks about it. OG and C are never first round needs.

            If DL, then it has to be a NT and FA was unfruitful. DE is deep in this draft. Easier to wait.

            I'll be happy if we address LT, NT or S in Round 1. But there's a certain order on the board.
            You are right on Thomas.....I am not a fan of Mays.

            I think Carroll plays his guys up alot more than other coaches. I remember reading an article that has stated he is very involved in the pro days. More than most coaches. the article also stated that many scouts were not please at the limited amount of drills and access they had to the USC players. One scout was qouted as saying, "what is Pete hiding".....That raised red flags with me.....The article was 2 or 3 years back.....He could have changed.

            I respect your opinion on the secondary......I really think some of the issues are scheme and coaching related.

            Thomas is playing because they have injuries.....I have seen him alot.....I would not rate him above Newman....He has performed better recently. He and the Giants struggled before the Dal and Wash games....

            Hey, It does not matter what the opinion on Free is.....If a guy like Oher falls to the mid 1st you pounce on him, regardless of Free. Sometimes the value and talent is to good to pass up. I agree very few G or C are worthy of a 1st round grade.....Remember Steve Hutchinson was a 1st round pick......He is a monster!

            Again, If the DL value is there you take it! I agree with you on never reaching, but if the player is there take him!

            There is always a certain order on the board......It should be by prospect and not position......That is when teams start drafting for need and it gets ugly!
            Last edited by ricowboy; 12-22-2009, 09:01 PM. Reason: misspelled words

            Comment


            • Did any of you catch this on the DMN blog? Seems odd doesnt it?

              Former Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson is lukewarm on his old club's leading wide receiver: Miles Austin.

              Johnson, an analyst with FOX Sunday, games, believes a lack of speed holds back Austin.

              ``Austin is strong and has a great burst,'' Johnson said. ``But he doesn't have any separation speed, which is probably why he wasn't in the lineup earlier in the season. He's not really a fast guy but he does break tackles and make big plays.''

              Austin is tied for 24th in the NFL for receptions with 65, and he ranks seventh in yards with 1,138. He has the fourth-highest total of yards after the catch with 523. By comparison, fellow wide receiver Roy Williams has 214 yards after the catch.




              The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

              Comment


              • What I realized a long time ago, is that just because your on TV, and someone holds a mic in front of your face, doesn't mean you know what your talking about. That's the most ridiculous comment I've read about Austin in a long time and sounds like something you'd read on a forum board.


                Not just that, but alot of those guys say stuff to get a reaction, but anyone with 1 good eye and a half functioning brain knows Austin has seperation speed so it really doesn't bother me.





                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                Comment


                • Any info on Scott Chandler? He was a TE on your practice squad but we claimed him. It's a weird move from us also because we now have 5 TE's but any info would be helpful.
                  Last edited by Giantsfan1080; 12-23-2009, 12:10 AM.
                  #Chop


                  sig by BoneKrusher

                  Comment


                  • Chandler

                    I think he was there as insurance.............but with the play of Philiips our 3 TE...I don't think they will lose any sleep. Kind of weird that the Giants would take a TE...they have so many on their team. I know they like to run the ball, but 5 TE is a lot.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                      Any info on Scott Chandler? He was a TE on your practice squad but we claimed him. It's a weird move from us also because we now have 5 TE's but any info would be helpful.
                      Now you have 8 WRs and 5TEs, sound crazy.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        Any info on Scott Chandler? He was a TE on your practice squad but we claimed him. It's a weird move from us also because we now have 5 TE's but any info would be helpful.
                        Not too much info since his playing time was limited and we are set being 3 deep at TE but I do remember Mayock being really high on Chandler and had him in his top 5 TE's that year. Granted, other then Greg Olsen and Zach Miller there wasn't alot to be excited about that year but still I do remember him being very impressed by him.


                        I honestly don't expect him to crack your line-up though because you guys are very deep too, but he'll probably be counted on to be more for ST then anything.





                        Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                          Did any of you catch this on the DMN blog? Seems odd doesnt it?

                          Former Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson is lukewarm on his old club's leading wide receiver: Miles Austin.

                          Johnson, an analyst with FOX Sunday, games, believes a lack of speed holds back Austin.

                          ``Austin is strong and has a great burst,'' Johnson said. ``But he doesn't have any separation speed, which is probably why he wasn't in the lineup earlier in the season. He's not really a fast guy but he does break tackles and make big plays.''

                          Austin is tied for 24th in the NFL for receptions with 65, and he ranks seventh in yards with 1,138. He has the fourth-highest total of yards after the catch with 523. By comparison, fellow wide receiver Roy Williams has 214 yards after the catch.
                          A truly clueless comment by Johnson.

                          He must be downing Margaritas between takes in LA on FOX b/c he clearly is not watching the games. Anyone see any DB catch Austin in a foot race without an angle?

                          Not saying Asutin has TO type speed (and TO may still be the fastest once he gets rumbling) but it also does not take Austin 6 strides to get to max speed. 2 steps is enuff much like Felix Jones.

                          If Austin had started the first 4 games (as any decent coaching staff would have done long ago) this guy would have over 1,400-1500 yards and 13-15 TD already with two to go.

                          His numbers are off the chart for a guy with 10 games played.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            Any info on Scott Chandler? He was a TE on your practice squad but we claimed him. It's a weird move from us also because we now have 5 TE's but any info would be helpful.
                            Former Southlake Carroll QB IIRC. Played TE exclusively in college though.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                              What I realized a long time ago, is that just because your on TV, and someone holds a mic in front of your face, doesn't mean you know what your talking about. That's the most ridiculous comment I've read about Austin in a long time and sounds like something you'd read on a forum board.


                              Not just that, but alot of those guys say stuff to get a reaction, but anyone with 1 good eye and a half functioning brain knows Austin has seperation speed so it really doesn't bother me.
                              "Guilty!" - Skip Bayless

                              Comment


                              • Mark Schlereth is a Dallas-hating dickhead

                                Originally posted by Ward View Post
                                Former Southlake Carroll QB IIRC. Played TE exclusively in college though.
                                Same HS that gave Bama Greg McElroy....

                                What I realized a long time ago, is that just because your on TV, and someone holds a mic in front of your face, doesn't mean you know what your talking about.
                                Johnson is normally not so clueless in his comments or that harsh regarding his former team, the Cowboys .... commenting on his former college roomy Jarry Jones, now that's another matter where all bets are off.

                                I quoted this b/c I heard on ESPN yesterday yet another reason to throw a blanket over Mark Schlereth, drag him out behind the ESPN bldg. in Connecticut & pistol-whip him senseless. He said Dallas was his pick this weekend for upset alert b/c they're "a team who tends to pat themselves on the back a little bit after a big win" so they have a next game letdown. Like slef-satisfaction & overabundant hubris is something new in Dallas. or any other NFL team with more Ws than Ls.......

                                Ex-Skins pigfucker Hogs like him clearly don't know the mindset of this Dallas team, sweeping the Eagles in the season finale & trashing their season plus catapulting the Cowboys back into the NFC East lead s/b enough motivation to beat a Westbrookless Philly at home, shouldn't it?

                                We should disregard all those snorting & rooting Hog noises from Schlereth in the future.
                                Last edited by LizardState; 12-24-2009, 12:28 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information