No announcement yet.

Shanahan MUST Glo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wouldnt mind a rebuilding season, unless we cut a lot of starters i think we can have a winning season next year. shanahan tries to patch up to much instead of getting franchise players. a 30 yr old high risk/reward corner is patching it, although i thought we were on track with d will. we need a mlb bad and vilma could take us from terrible to good-great with dj at wlb and webster at sam.

our d-line isn't the greatest but will improve over time. thomas crowder and dumervil are the only ones who have impressed me at all. i wouldnt be totally against a FA dt as long as theres not a huge risk like with adams...

our o-line needs rebuilding. im not sure how much longer nalen will play but hamilton should have a few more years in the tank. id love to draft a top caliber LT, move harris to RT, and then get a solid RG in free agents.

db's - id also like to see a speed corner good for returns taken in the 3rd/4th round, considering we address bigger needs prior to this (dt, mlb, ol) hopefully bailey will grow on him and he will mold into a solid corner like d will.

our offense is solid for a long time. cutler is one of the top 10 qbs in the league. henry and young are capable of having big games, we need to stick with one and build some chemistry. marshall, walker, and stokley may be the best trio in the league next to the pats and bengals wr corps. tony scheff should be starting as daniel graham is overpayed decent run blocker.
    Bubba kush for breakfast, with my captain crunch
    I smoke ten blunts before lunch
    Gucci Mane

Comment

we have many, many issues that need to be addressed over the offseason. what to do with javon walker? if he truly doesn't have a chance to fully recover and still wont except a pay cut, he's done here. hopefully this isnt the case because it creates a big opening at wide receiver that will have to be dealt with and that's the last thing we need with all or other problems.

a few of the veterans should hang 'em up such as nalen, smith, and rod. i wouldn't be surprised if one or two returned as a coach, a position where they can still contribute with out taking up roster spots. hamilton and lepsis may also be done. players that we need to cut/trade include ian gold, travis henry, and possibly javon which i already dicussed.

as far as the draft and free agency goes, we have a lot of possibilities facing us. i would absolutely piss my pants if we drafted philips in the first and managed to trade up to get felix jones in the second, but this seems like wishful thinking. we need a star player for our defensive front seven, a guy who can make an impact right away. some ideas here would be shaun rogers or jonathan vilma.

if none of what i mentioned plays out, than there is still reason for hope. cutler looks to the future of this team and the numbers he's been able to put up in his first two seasons are spectacular when compared to past quarterback greats like Elway.
      Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
      Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

Really, we are in good shape money wise. We'll probably cut/restructure guys and be at least $20 mil under the cap when free agency hits.
        I really think we need to look at addressing OT/LB/DT/S in the draft. I'd prefer to go OT/LB in round 1 and then take best available from there on out.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9

out of curiousity... if available, does anyone NOT agree with taking laurenitis first?

I do. That is, disagree. I think DJ is playing great at MLB. He is tied for 1st in the AFC in tackles, playing in front of a porous D-line. Speaking of porous D-line, boy wouldn't a big NT to plug the middle be nice? Of course it would. Frank Okam, come on down. Maybe not where we are picking currently in the 1st, but trade down 10 spots or so (like Carolina did with Beason), and voila! Pick up Okam plus additional draft picks. DJ will only get better with more experience in Bates scheme as well as a better supporting cast. He is developing a killer instinct out there too, dealing some big hits as well as becoming a more intense and vocal leader.

Also, I think Laurinaitis is a little overrated. Good, yes. Elite MLB prospect? Not quite. I've seen him get engulfed by O-linemen quite a bit. Just like DJ has been at times (thanks to the porous D-line). Bottom line is, Laurinaitis would not be an upgrade over him at MIKE. Besides, I bet he stays in school anyway.

If we stay where we are, I'd hope Kenny Phillips falls to us. He would shore up our secondary, and help cover those TEs that have burned us at crucial times in certain games this season. He could improve both our coverage and run support dramatically.
          Last edited by urinemonkey; 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

i love dj to death and hes racked up 139 tackles (granted some were farther downfield then they should be) but i think weve unanimously agreed he belongs outside. i think he could play a lot better than mediocre at mlb if we had a solid d line. i think it would be a good idea to put him outside, he can keep up with guys like gates and gonzales twice a year
            Gucci Mane

Comment

ok, conversely, who here thinks DJ has been anything better than mediocre at MLB this season?

i'm not trying to pick on anyone.

*raises hand*

I think he's been slightly above mediocre this season, and will only get better if he gets a big and talented anchor in front of him at NT and a better pair of LBs flanking him.

Comment

Originally posted by urinemonkey View Post
                *raises hand*

I think he's been slightly above mediocre this season, and will only get better if he gets a big and talented anchor in front of him at NT and a better pair of LBs flanking him.
                albert haynseworth eh eh eh *nudge nudge*
                Gucci Mane

Comment

go dj thats my dj
                  I'm a big fan of his and I think he has adjusted to the position as of late. You can see some progress. Enough that I would be satisfied with going DT instead of LB in the first round.

Comment

ok, conversely, who here thinks DJ has been anything better than mediocre at MLB this season?

i'm not trying to pick on anyone.
                    to tell you the truth, i wouldn't know how to tell you
                    i mean i don't ever focus on him once the play starts, usually looking at the d-line, and what coverage were running, but once the play is over ive been hearing DJ's name called a lot so i assumed he was playing well... im not trying to subject myself to getting blasted, but im just curious... why is he playing poorly... and can any of that be projected onto a **** DL? i know tackles aren't everything, i just think he is the one guy besides champ that is actually wrapping the **** up this year (quick shout out to ian gold... ian, **** YOU)
                    Last edited by Jimmy; 12-23-2007, 08:01 AM.

Comment

any remaining manhood we had left just got shredded to pieces.

dear lord that was brutal
                      Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
                      Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

Well, Gold and Webster need to go. Gold's just lost it. He used to be outstanding, but his time has come and gone. Webster will make a play or two, but makes so many assignment errors it's ridiculous. Maybe a move back to MLB would help. Maybe.

I agree that DJ is the best on the weakside as well, but is above average in the middle. I could see him staying in the middle if we can't find a better option. Weakside is the easiest to replace.

Ideally, we get Phillips/Rivers/Connor in the first. If we can nab Phillips, then I'd love to see someone like Beau Bell or Tavares Gooden in the second. Both could play either SLB or MLB.

I know Scott mentioned Rivers could possibly play inside here. That could be interesting, and would allow DJ to move back to the WLB spot. Then we'd only need an upgrade at SLB.

Secondly, Holland and Pears are aweful. Lepsis is a the end of the line as well. If Nalen and Hamilton come back, then the interior of the line should be fine. Hopefully Harris is ready to step in at LT or RT by next year.

Third, I really hope Lynch retires. Abdullah is a good SS in the making, but we really need a playmaking FS back there. Lynch offers zero in coverage, and in facts hurts us quite a bit back there.

And yes, we could upgrade use some more talent at DT, but that's not as big of a need as LB/S/OT.

And anyone who thinks Shanahan should be gone needs to check themselves. Where would we get a better coach?

Comment

who cares, my dog could've called better goalline plays. a fullback dive, into the best player on san diego's defense, twice in a row? high school coaches could've called a better game. shanny needs a serious reality check.
                          My point is this. If he goes, then who do we get to become coach? Someone better? I don't think so.

Did I like the FB dive twice? No, but we wouldn't have won the game even if we had scored there.

There is no question the line needs to be upgraded, particularly Holland and Pears. Shanahan has even admitted so. I really don't think we can afford to let Hamilton go. Whether or not Nalen comes back, the interior of the line would be good with Hamilton, Myers, Kuper, and possibly Nalen. Hopefully Harris will progress enough to play one of the tackle spots.

Comment

There are some serious questions about Harris' back. He had surgery before his senior year, and one reason why he didn't play well, and he had surgery again this year. I don't know if we can rely on him.

Holland has been our best o-lineman this year, so I don't understand the problem people have with him.

And Rivers at MLB? Please...the kid is 220 pounds. Our LB's can't get off blocks as it is, we don't need an Ian Gold at MLB as well.

O-line and D-line should be the focus of this team. Having good units up front can make up for a lot of deficiencies in other areas. It's common sense football. It all starts up front and as even the idiotic announcers Monday night observed...the broncos lines are horrible.

Comment

to the above:

DJ's first step is almost always backwards. this is a MAJOR nono at linebacker, no matter how crappy your line is. he regularly mis-reads the run and ends up making the tackle 5 yards after the play. i forget when i did it, but several weeks ago, i counted his tackles over 2 or 3 games. 80%+ were after a gain of at least 5 yards. that's absolutely pathetic, and insofar as i've seen him, is due mostly to having essentially no instincts at the position. i plan to, as much as i can, count the plays again tonight where he makes an awful read that has nothing to do with the line. to be fair, i'll try to count plays where he's getting drilled by a lineman immediately.

on the other hand, when a lineman DOES get through (which, face it, is going to happen), DJ is atrocious at getting off a block. once the back has gotten by him, he's been excellent at catching up to him. but really, is that the best use of his athleticism?

ian gold is obviously awful, but if it were entirely on our d-line, why is nate webster playing so well? why is he regularly disrupting plays in the backfield and why is he the ONLY guy making the big third down stops recently? imo, it's because he's actually the only guy at linebacker playing at the proper position.

DJ should move back to will, where he unarguably had by far his best season so far in denver. he's a perfect fit at the spot. he's athletic enough to cover TEs, and it frees him up from having to shed blocks and diagnose plays (2 things he demonstratably bad at). could he get better at MLB? sure. eventually. and he has gotten better this year. but progressing from literally one of the worst linebackers in the NFL to simply mediocre hardly strikes me as a big checkmark next to the position.

further, what DT do you guys think will actually be available when we draft who's worth getting? sed ellis doesn't help DJ. okam, at this point, would be an epic reach.

keep in mind a couple of major things:

1) i love DJ, just not at MLB.
                              2) i don't disagree with the need for another DT or two. i just disagree with taking one in the first.
                              3) in either case, i have no interest whatsoever in signing another "sam adams", i'd rather spend a couple of more years being mediocre than take a risk with yet another worthless journeyman (i'm also not interested at all in haynesworth, unless he only signs a one year deal or it's HEAVILY weighted with performance incentives).
                              DJ did take a step back initially, but he has been getting better lately. He still has room for improvement. Putting him back at WLB would be ideal, but finding a SLB and MLB in one offseason are difficult. I think it would be easier to find a SLB and WLB. But if it can be done then go ahead. Problem is that there are no MLB available in FA (that are better anyway) and the draft class is weak at MLB. I say target Dansby or Briggs and then get Beau in the draft who IMO is underrated.

Corey Williams from GB would be a great addition IMO at DT. We should still spend a first day pick on another DT though. A combo of Williams, Thomas, McKinny, rookie would be an improvement over this year. People love Okam's measure ables, but I question his desire and mental toughness.

Comment

Another LB we should look at in the draft is Jonathan Goff.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information