Denver Broncos Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by njx9
    no disagreement, though i still think that, if he's on the board, haden is our best pick in the first. if he's not, and mcclain isn't, i'm absolutely of the mind that we need to trade down and get additional choices to fill in the trenches on both sides.
    Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see us taking a guy in the secondary. It's just when I'm looking at these mocks and see WR in round 1, followed by undersized CB in round 2 and then an edge rusher in round 3, I really have to wonder if the author is going out of his way to ignore the clear needs along both lines.

Comment

we already have jarvis moss.
      And Robert Ayers.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

I'm cautiously optimistic about the draft. I heard two McD interviews recently that left me with the impression that the focus of the offseason will be on upgraded both lines. In a similar vein, he talked about substantially changing the running game to a more physical, downhill style (though the zone stretch would still be part of the attack). In terms of OL, he seems to focus on aggression and intelligence as the key attributes rather than sheer size.

Also, based on his comments along with BMarsh's at the Pro Bowl, I'm not nearly as confident that Brandon is done in Denver. It will be very interesting to see how that plays out.

Comment

This is the first time in a while I've been completely open to the idea of simply taking the best player available. I feel like the large majority of positions will warrant consideration of some sort round 1. I've always been turned on by the speedy edge rusher. Having that said, I'd love to see us take a stab at a quarterback round 2, and I'd love it even more if we developed him for two years or so before playing him.

Comment

Also... can someone give me an accurate evaluation of Tony Pike?

I've seen these two reports: Summary: Pike projects strictly as a career backup in the NFL. He simply doesn't possess even an average arm to be a starter.

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Cincinnati's Tony Pike is the most gifted thrower of the class, demonstrating the arm strength, accuracy to all levels of the field and mobility rare for a player of his 6-5 frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              Also... can someone give me an accurate evaluation of Tony Pike?
              I don't know if it is "accurate", but I'll give you my 2 cents...

Upside: Tall, smart, accurate, good timing

Downside: Too thin, not enough zip on ball, inconsistent on deep throws

Comment

You guys think we will draft a QB?

Orton will stay as he showed enough to warrant a further look with a year of the system under his belt. Next season is make or break for him. TB is being groomed as the long term backup (cheap guy that can live and breath the system, but most likely never good enough to be the guy). I assume we bring in a veteran to be the number 2 for this year until TB is ready. I just dont see the value in drafting a QB instead of bringing in a vet. I am not sure having Orton, a rookie from this draft class, and then TB is the right QB mix. I think that we bring in a vet in FA and wait until next year to draft a QB (either first round if Orton sucks, or later in the draft to compete with TB for the backup spot if Orton excels).

Comment

i don't really think anything one way or the other. but i think a guy like bradford fits the system pretty much perfectly, while giving a lot more (whatever you think of his arm strength, for instance, it's still light years ahead of orton's) than orton can. that said, it's also clear there are MUCH bigger needs, so i'm really only interested in a QB if the right guy falls to the right place or if all of the other guys don't fall to us.

i'm sure mcd thinks brandstater is the next tom brady, but i don't see where he's anything more than a career 3rd string qb.
                  You can be so harsh at times :) IMO TB projects to be a a very competent 2nd string QB.

Comment

It's a good day for QB talk:

Discussions with the Eagles?

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...story_id=20225

Originally posted by some douchebag
                    To follow up on ESPN's Adam Schefter's report that "multiple teams have called Eagles to inquire about their three QBs," Schefter's colleague Sal Paolantonio discloses the identity of three teams who have had discussions with the Eagles specifically regarding Donovan McNabb - Cleveland, Denver and Buffalo.
                    Bowlen has his own ideas?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...2#ixzz0epBvwrR

Originally posted by Pat Bowlen
                    Orton is a good quarterback. I'd also like to think we might have the opportunity to draft a young quarterback, not necessarily to come in and play right away, but if you have the opportunity to draft somebody, that would be a plus for us.

Comment

also, mcnabb? seriously? i wonder what mcidiot is thinking, maybe marshall and our 1 and 2 for mcnabb? actually, that wouldn't make sense after the eagles drafted maclin. he's probably more likely to send doom/1/2 for mcnabb, then just cut marshall.
                      LOL - aren't you in a fine mood...

The article says we inquired about McNabb, but it also talks about interest in all 3 Eagles quarterbacks. I wonder if Kolb might be the guy we are more interested in. He's the right age to go with the rest of our offense, he comes from a spread offense (Houston) and he played pretty well last year in his limited opportunities. 2010 is also the last year of his contract.

Comment

i just met john elway on the elevator in my building. i think we should bring him back. if not to play, maybe he can teach orton how to throw the ball.
                        Bring him back to play. He won two straight SBs to finish his career and it's a FACT that things come in threes...

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

My order of needs:

NT, C/G, 34 DE, WR, ILB, OLB, S, CB, QB

Comment

Originally posted by junior2430 View Post
                            My order of needs:

NT, C/G, 34 DE, WR, ILB, OLB, S, CB, QB
                            CB is way way too low. When you have to bring Ty Law back from the dead, you need some more CB depth. I know they drafted Smith last year, but he looked terrible.

My opinion for draft needs:

C/G, CB, DL, ILB, WR, QB

They drafted two young guys last year to play safety, so I have a hard time putting that on the list for right now. And although I have QB kind of far down, I wouldn't have too big of an issue with the Broncos taking Bradford if he were to fall in to their lap.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                            Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                            i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                            Originally posted by Job
                            NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by the decider13 View Post
                              CB is way way too low. When you have to bring Ty Law back from the dead, you need some more CB depth. I know they drafted Smith last year, but he looked terrible.

My opinion for draft needs:

C/G, CB, DL, ILB, WR, QB

They drafted two young guys last year to play safety, so I have a hard time putting that on the list for right now. And although I have QB kind of far down, I wouldn't have too big of an issue with the Broncos taking Bradford if he were to fall in to their lap.
                              This. C/G is the biggest need, however, that doesnt mean we should address it with our first pick. CB and DL are a tie to me in second place. DL really is almost one position in terms of need. We need someone on that line to be MUCH better than those currently there, and I dont think it matters whether it is the NT or a DE.

Comment

I'm not up to date on prospect rankings, but it seemed to me a while ago that unless someone fell, we weren't gonna get great value for our 1st pick. Who are the options we're looking at, realistically if we don't trade down? Haden?

If Marshall stays, I think the needs we have would then be DB, DL, and interior OL. Everything else is a luxury. Those are the biggest holes. If we move Marshall, WR becomes a GLARING need as well.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information