Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This picture summarizes most of my feelings toward McDaniels entire tenure as our head coach.

Comment

• Interesting article:

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_16425206

Basically, his point is that there is a direct contradiction between what McD preaches (intelligence, physical play, mental toughness) and what is on display on the field (mental errors, focus on finesse passing, folding in the face of adversity).

Comment

• I throw whatever it takes at Cowher/Gruden/Billick (in that order) to be the head coach. Then, I shift Tebow to TE. Come draft day, I load up on lineman and draft a real heir to Orton. Maybe make a trade for a RB like DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• I keep starting to comment on things, and then the nausea wave hits and I have to stop.

**** football, **** it right in the ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
            all right, so this season is a complete loss. we finish at something around 6-10. pat bowlen executes xanders. then, he gets really drunk somewhere in Lodo, and throws up on your shoes. in an effort to make amends, he hires you as the GM and gives you complete player/personnel control, as well as control over the (new?) coaching staff.

what do you do?
            -if the second half of the season resembles the first half in any way, shape or form, fire mcdaniels. there's no sense in bringing back a coach whose team has quit on him
            -look to hire urban meyer if mcdaniels is fired. i'm probably in the minority here
            -fire clancy barone and mike priefer. both are trash
            -i have no idea who's in the upcoming free agent class so i'll leave this area open
            -target marcell dareus in the draft, trade up for him if need be. dareus would be a cornerstone for the dline and for the defense as whole
            Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
            Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

• A new coach should get 3 years to build his team, especially when you completely rebuild it the way Josh McDaniels and Raheem Morris have done. 2-5 sucks but (close) losses to the Colts and Jets are understandable especially with all the injuries on both sides of the ball. On the other hand, the Ravens and Raiders (blowout) losses should never happen.

The second half of the schedule is way easier but even if they keep struggling, McD should get a 3rd year. Having Moreno, DT, Kuper, Harris, Doom, Ayers, Dawkins, Goodman all missing significant time is a huge reason for 2-5.
              save Freeman

Comment

• Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
                A new coach should get 3 years to build his team, especially when you completely rebuild it the way Josh McDaniels and Raheem Morris have done. 2-5 sucks but (close) losses to the Colts and Jets are understandable especially with all the injuries on both sides of the ball. On the other hand, the Ravens and Raiders (blowout) losses should never happen.

The second half of the schedule is way easier but even if they keep struggling, McD should get a 3rd year. Having Moreno, DT, Kuper, Harris, Doom, Ayers, Dawkins, Goodman all missing significant time is a huge reason for 2-5.
                I am going to agree with this. As much as last week has made me want to do anything I can to make me forget about the fact a football season is underway, it is too early to pull the plug on the Josh experiment just yet. He has made a ******** of mistakes, but has also shown enough promise to ride this one out.

What do we need? Some impact players on defense. If Doom and Ayers come back healthy next year, and from somewhere we get a quality MLB and D-lineman that can make plays, then I think we can be okay on that side of the ball. Healthy and especially more experienced o-line, then I think we are okay on that side of the ball. We arent strong enough on either side of the ball to carry the other one, so if one is depleted we get blown the **** out.

"I'm not sugarcoating this. I'm going to be as honest as can be and tell it to you straight. It's not Josh. I've never been more prepared as a player from a head coach. And I've been through five or six already. We knew when the screen play was coming. We just didn't stop it. We knew when it was run-toss and they were going to try to hit the edge. We just didn't stop it. It's not him. People may not understand that, but I'm telling you that's the way it is."

Broncos LB Mario Haggan responding to a suggestions that the Broncos didn't adequately prepare for the Raiders game

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                  i don't frankly care if they don't think it's josh. the entire ******* team quit in the first ******* quarter. that's the absolute hallmark of a poorly coached team. that's the kind of **** the raiders have done for the last 8 years.

though, i'm entertained by the idea that missing a barely #2 cb, a rb averaging 3.3 ypc, a rt who hasn't been healthy in 4 years, and an over the hill safety is why we're 2-5. this team is 2-5 because there isn't any talent at key positions and because the coaching (on both sides of the ball) is atrocious.

i see no reason whatsoever to give a guy an extra year to remove even more talent from the team and dig it even deeper into a hole. i see no reason to spend another 16 games watching a guy who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag repeatedly call draw plays and screen passes that haven't worked once in the 2 years he's been calling them.

mcdaniels is, as far as i've seen, the worst coach in the nfl right now. period. sometimes, you just have to admit you're wrong, as a franchise.
                  And the poll on the Denverpost website about getting rid of Josh shows that 80% of respondents agree with you. I will not be upset in the slightest if he is fired, but, but, I am prepared to give him until the end of next season as I think what he is trying to do can work (not will mind you, but can). A new coach and system right not would be a ******* disaster with the roster we have.

Comment

• let's say that mcdaniels is fired and we don't hire a big name such as gruden or cowher for whatever reason. any good alternatives in that situation?
                    Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
                    Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

• Clean out all the executives. Joe Ellis is a cockface. Xanders is a piece of ****. Bring in veteran execs to rebuild the management layer. Let them pick a coach who they can work with effectively to renew the team.

I'd really like to see them to bring in new execs now, as it gives them half a season to evaluate the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
                        A new coach should get 3 years to build his team, especially when you completely rebuild it the way Josh McDaniels and Raheem Morris have done. 2-5 sucks but (close) losses to the Colts and Jets are understandable especially with all the injuries on both sides of the ball. On the other hand, the Ravens and Raiders (blowout) losses should never happen.

Raheem Morris completely rebuilt the team because he had to. It was aging, and the cupboard was left pretty bare by Gruden. McD, on the other hand, had a fairly solid team in place. Lots of pieces were there. A 25 year old Pro Bowl QB, a dominant young WR, really only the defense had to be overhauled, that and the offensive line. If we could have improved the interior OL and the redzone playcalling from the year before, we'd have been golden.

When he retooled the defense, which was awful, good things happened. It was pretty clear that Mike Nolan knew what he was doing with the defense. So McD let him walk...

We had franchise cornerstones at QB and WR, and a defensive co-ordinator that made a defense with little talent into a dominant unit for the first few weeks before tailing off. He got rid of them all. Yes, I know there are quotes dating back years about Brandon Marshall wanting the hell out of Denver. But we all saw how happy he was while the team was winning. I don't think he'd have been such a malcontent if the team didn't implode at the end of the year.

Bottom line is we're much worse now than we were then. It isn't age catching up to players, it's McDaniels replacing our best players with inferior ones. Yes, the team is deeper, as has been pointed out. But you can't win with just depth. Depth is a very important part of the puzzle, teams win championships with a combination of great players and depth. But ask yourself, which players are harder to find? Franchise QBs and elite WRs, or adequate replacements if a guy goes down with an injury/fresh legs to rotate in when starters get tired?

PS we still aren't that deep. Just look at what happened when Doom went down.

If, after 2 seasons, a team is worse off now than they'd have been by keeping their old coach, I think it's time to part ways. If this team can't show that they can compete, week in and week out, and start winning games, then it's time to say goodbye to Josh.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• I feel terrible for all the blokes in england who came to this game expecting to see professional football. What a boring game between two extremely mediocre teams.

edit after half time: game got a lot better obviously

On another note... This is the worst Broncos team I can ever remember in my short 19 year life. Maybe the 1999 or 2000 team was worse... maybe... but this team rivals it. The only positive twist I can see is that for once my team will likely have a top 7 pick in the draft. Maybe we can land the superstar we so desperately need.

My question is.. lets say we get the 5-7th pick in the draft. what is our most pressing need? what do we draft?

I think Da'Quan Bowers may be the safest pick. But do you guys prefer clayborn? Whether or bowers fits in the 3-4 is almost irrelevant since we are just as likely to be running the 4-3 next year with a new head coach. thoughts?
                          Last edited by Jimmy; 10-31-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• deep to lloyd. the only thing we've done well this season. and yet it took us a half to go to him.

edit: and with that, Lloyd has broken his career high receiving yards in a season
                            Last edited by Jimmy; 10-31-2010, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                              Originally posted by njx9
                              do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                                I think Da'Quan Bowers may be the safest pick. But do you guys prefer clayborn? Whether or bowers fits in the 3-4 is almost irrelevant since we are just as likely to be running the 4-3 next year with a new head coach. thoughts?
                                It's hard to care given the pathetic state of this organization.

Anyway, a lot of our pieces are better suited to a 4-3, but Doom is not which creates a big problem. Maybe he plays a SLB role similar to what Julian Peterson used to do in Seattle? I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information