This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
    How do the rest of you guys feel about Tebow getting the start for the last game ? I can't wait until Sunday to see more of Tebow , Should be a fun game.I hope its on TV tho gr
    I can't wait to see if he plays well or not so I can figure out if we can rule out luck.

Comment

• If Carolina wins another game and we don't, how does that shake out? Will we have 1st overall? If we do, that becomes one HELL of a tough decision. Luck is very clearly the top prospect in this draft and I don't think there's anyone worth taking over him.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
      Originally posted by njx9
      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Yeah. Even without a wage scale I think there would be a few teams interested. A team like Arizona or San Fran might be really interested, depending on what happens with guys like McNabb and where they end up. I'm really glad we're giving Tebow his shot, cuz I'd be pissed if we were on the clock with Luck right there and we had no idea if Tebow could throw a pass.

Comment

• Kind of hope we don't get first/Luck doesn't declare.
          That spot is just hard to be put in.

Comment

• If we have a chance at Luck, (if we had the #1 overall or Carolina passed on him) I would certainly hope we would trade down and do whatever we can to fill other needs on the team.

Read today on Yahoo/NFP that the Broncos seem inclined to trade Orton next year, given that none of his contract his guaranteed and their willingness to see what Tebow can do.

I don't see us getting rid of Tebow. He is a cash cow for the organization and it would be bad both from a PR standpoint and regarding draft value to give up on a guy so easily. He showed he could play with his hands tied (great work, McCoy!) and give a solid effort in his first showing. I look forward to his next two games.

I hated his selection, but we are pretty much stuck with him.

I like Luck, but we have too many other needs on the team to address. A rookie QB (no matter how good) is not going to fix one of the worst defenses in NFL history. Not at all.

If Luck is on the board at our spot, you get a haul for him. You don't select him. Nope.
            Me and Keak Da Sneak were legendary.

Comment

• Didn't catch today's game cuz Canada was playing, but WOO HOO. I don't get fans that wanna see their teams lose late in the season, with Denver now I'm not even hurt by losses anymore, but I jumped up when I saw that we won. I think with this team we're gonna gain more from winning a game late in the season than we're gonna gain from losing these games and getting a slightly higher draft pick. Winning only leads to winning.

Comment

• I was really hoping to lose out, I guess I forgot how good winning felt.

In any event, I wasn't particularly impressed by Tebow in a traditional sense. He missed throws that were medium to hard in difficulty, throws that true elite QB's would have nailed. Throws that your conventional QB would nail. His release is ugly and slow, and he throws too many jump balls...

Having that said, for whatever reason, I'm impressed how truly did lead us to a win. I don't know how he did it, I don't know why he's able to do what he does at the next level, but he's doing it. Sure, he threw for 308 yards, 307 off of screen passes, but just the fact that it worked in the NFL is getting me excited. (Albeit against the worst pass defense in the league) Just the fact that he can still do that whole Tebow "scramble around like an idiot and score" thing is exciting as well.

My biggest concern at this point is that it is inevitable that he will loose just as many of those jump balls as he wins. We're lucky to have a player the caliber of Lloyd to back him up. The law of averages will soon take over, and I think he will struggle against elite teams/in the playoffs (heh, that's a knee slapper) /against teams that prep well for him.

I just don't think great teams are going to have trouble containing him. Please Tim, prove me wrong.
                Last edited by Jimmy; 12-26-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• I'll have to disagree with both of you. I actually was rather impressed on several fronts by his play. Obviously we saw that he could lead the team pretty well, but I actually didn't think he was bad in the traditional QB way. His motion still needs work/repetition, but it is 10 times better than it was last year. His reads for the most part were good. He threw a lot of great balls. I actually disagree with the jump ball thing, I didn't see too many of them (The 40 yard pass to Lloyd was underthrown, as well as a few other passes but..). He needs to work on throwing the fade, I think his arm strength isn't bad but it is erratic at times.
                  The guy is what he is, he is a rookie. He isn't perfect by any means but he got it done, and I think with time he is just going to produce more wins.

The key thing now is to hire a defensive minded coach who will replenish the talent on this defense. I think next year this is a team that can at least break even if the defense starts to get fixed.
                  Last edited by DBNYDP; 12-26-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                    i oddly agree
                    ouch.

Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                    He threw a lot of great balls.
                    Well we can agree to disagree.Fade = Jump ball. He probably threw a good 4-6, and only completed one from what I remember. And yep, and that underthrown Lloyd ball should have been picked or at the very least broken up. Lloyd's got hops, but that guy on him played the ball atrociously. He did hit Gaffney for a 51 yarder, but I think 2 of 3 of starting QB's would have placed the ball in a spot where Gaffney would have scored. Maybe I'll take another look at it, though.

Quick summation of his big throws:

One of his 20 yarders to Buckhalter on that final drive was ridiculously easy, Buck was standing literally 10 feet in front of him, nobody near him. Two of his 20+ yard button hook completions to Lloyd were complete gimmies as well. Lloyd was completely open, you'd be hard pressed to find a D-2 college QB who wouldn't hit him in that situation. As for the TD to Buck, it was a screen. Will I give credit for Studesville? Yes. Will I give credit to Tebow for hitting throws that I could have made? No.

Oh, and now that I think about it, he had Gaffney completely open on a double move and threw it out of bounds. I'm really not trying to sound like an overly analytical prick, I'm just.. you know.. saying. None of his throws that went for yardage truly impressed me. You take away those easy throws, Tebow goes 11 for 23 with less than 200 yards and a pick. And that's solely on hb screens. It'll suffice versus the 32nd ranked passing defense, but it won't cut it in the NFL.

On a side note, I have no clue why Correll all of a sudden decided to take his job seriously. He was average for once. In addition, I was SO glad that Ball proved he's twice the back Slowshon will ever be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                      I was really hoping to lose out, I guess I forgot how good winning felt.

In any event, I wasn't particularly impressed by Tebow in a traditional sense. He missed throws that were medium to hard in difficulty, throws that true elite QB's would have nailed. Throws that your conventional QB would nail. His release is ugly and slow, and he throws too many jump balls...

Having that said, for whatever reason, I'm impressed how truly did lead us to a win. I don't know how he did it, I don't know why he's able to do what he does at the next level, but he's doing it. Sure, he threw for 308 yards, 307 off of screen passes, but just the fact that it worked in the NFL is getting me excited. (Albeit against the worst pass defense in the league) Just the fact that he can still do that whole Tebow "scramble around like an idiot and score" thing is exciting as well.

My biggest concern at this point is that it is inevitable that he will loose just as many of those jump balls as he wins. We're lucky to have a player the caliber of Lloyd to back him up. The law of averages will soon take over, and I think he will struggle against elite teams/in the playoffs (heh, that's a knee slapper) /against teams that prep well for him.

I just don't think great teams are going to have trouble containing him. Please Tim, prove me wrong.
                      Haven't been on this forum in forever. But this win definitely excited me! I'll come clean and say that I am a huge Tebow fan. With that said, I think I can still make a fair and objective analysis on his play.

Jimmy, I have to disagree with your post. We have to remember that he is a rookie. We can complain about how he missed a couple of standard throws, but let's be realistic. EVERY rookie QB will make those kind of mistakes.

This is not to say that your concerns are completely illegitimate. He is unconventional, so there is reason to doubt. Nevertheless, I think it's a bit overly-pessimistic to bemoan some of his passes and decision making after just two starts. These are difficulties that every rookie QB faces and must overcome by constantly practicing.

Last but not least, his ability to rush for yards and scramble away from the pass rush will always give him more time and larger windows in the passing game -- something that is not available to the "conventional/prototypical QB".

Projected win total: 55+

Comment

• I love Tebow, I just hope he doesn't get knocked-the-****-out. He took a shot from Brian Cushing today, and there will be a lot more of those to come. Can't wait to see how he does against a solid San Diego defense next week.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• I thought Tebow played well today. The jump ball to Lloyd has been part of the offense all year long, so I'm not going to criticize him for taking those shots. He's pretty much the anti-Orton with his mobility and leadership.

On a related note, I noticed Champ was changing his tune a little bit after the game... suddenly he's hoping he'll get to play many more games with Tebow. Interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                            regardless of what champ does, i'm still of the opinion that we should be taking amukamara or peterson if we pick in the top 3 and there isn't value in a trade down. bowers would be a horrific pick for a 34 DE, and i don't buy that fairley's worth it.

i'm highly interested in dissenting opinions if anyone has one.
                            Fairley better put on some weight. Dude's strong as it is, but unless we plan on using him as an end, I'd think our starting nose tackle had bettter be at least 315. As for Peterson and Amukamara, I'm not the biggest Prince fan and I honestly don't think he's even a top 10 pick. He gets behind his man a little too much for a top 10 corner pick i.m.o., and gets flat outran sometimes. the good news is that he plays the ball correctly once he's behind. If he had a little more recovery speed, I'd say go for it.

I don't get the big deal with this guy. I'd almost go as far as saying he deserves to slip to the late 1st. I will need to watch his bowl game before I'm able to truly back that up, though.

I'm convinced Peterson is the best corner prospect in at least 5 years and that he is worth a top 5 overall pick. Even at #2.
                            Last edited by Jimmy; 12-27-2010, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• P.S. I did the math including strength of schedule tie breaking, and the worst we can draft at this point is #5.

Comment

• I loved watching Tebow in this game, his ability to improvise and scrap are extremely fun to watch. Not a whole lot different in how Michael Vick makes something out of nothing. Maybe even more along the lines of Steve Young (Broncos fans can certainly hope).

I noted that some fans were hoping for losses so as to get a better draft pick, that could be traded for a quantity of other picks. It's better to get a win or two, to drop down to a "tradeable" draft slot, such as the number five noted above. It's a rarity when a top 2 or 3 pick can be bartered.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information