Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da'Quan Bowers is playing at 12:00 EST, for anyone who wants a chance to see him play. Not the best fit, but if we go back to a 4-3 I think he is a more appropriate pick than PP at #2-5.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGO2T8VOYF0
    Last edited by Jimmy; 12-31-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• If we go back to 4-3, then we need Fairley.

Dennard could be a nice late round pick for the Broncos if he declares/slips to later rounds.
      Haggs is worth a look.
      Helu had a terrible game. I was pretty high on him before this, not as much now.

Who was the Washington DT? And I didn't see if Mason Foster was too impressive, was he? Worth a look as a 4-3 MLB/3-4 ILB?

If we pick Bowers, I would assume we trade Doom, as many use him as the reason to not switch to 4-3. A Marshall like trade? 2 2nds perhaps? Best pass rusher in the league is pretty useful imo.
      Last edited by DBNYDP; 12-31-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
        i really don't want fairley. i'm hugely wary of taking a guy who's had one good season (outside of, for instance, a senior qb who didn't start until his final year). i don't really like bowers at all, but i'll check out the game later today...
        But Fairley is just a flat-out beast. One year or not, you can't ignore that level of production and elite athletic ability.

Comment

• I can see where you are coming from.
          I disagree but I don't think there is much point in debating it.
          I'd look at Jenkins from Clemson too.

Comment

• given how terrible we are on defense, i really don't want to trade away the only proven player that we can build around. seems too much like a lateral move
            Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
            Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

• Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
              If we go back to 4-3, then we need Fairley.

Dennard could be a nice late round pick for the Broncos if he declares/slips to later rounds.
              Haggs is worth a look.
              Dennard is sadly coming back for his senior year. I think he'd go on the first day. 3rd. Round. Is that even the first day anymore?

As for Hagg, he looked slow as hell, his steps were short and choppy, and all i remember from him was watching him getting toasted by a second rate slot receiver on a routine post route.
              Last edited by Jimmy; 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Also, outside of Bowers, I think we should take a look at this DT McClain from USF the 4th or 5th. 310 LBS and looks really quick. Take a look if you happen to flip on the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  Dennard is sadly coming back for his senior year. I think he'd go on the first day. 3rd. Round. Is that even the first day anymore?

As for Hagg, he looked slow as hell, his steps were short and choppy, and all i remember from him was watching him getting toasted by a second rate slot receiver on a routine post route.
                  Hagg has actually looked really good before last night though.
                  I'm pretty sure he is one of the reasons why Prince has looked as good as he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cunningham View Post
                    given how terrible we are on defense, i really don't want to trade away the only proven player that we can build around. seems too much like a lateral move
                    I really don't envision switching to a 4-3 being a problem for Doom. He posted something like (edit) 17 sacks as a senior at UL in a 4-3, and really showed promise in his rookie or second season and posted 10 sacks.
                    Last edited by Jimmy; 12-31-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                      And I didn't see if Mason Foster was too impressive, was he? Worth a look as a 4-3 MLB/3-4 ILB?
                      I like what I saw out of Mason Foster. He showed the ability to get off blocks against a good Nebraska OL.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                        I really don't envision switching to a 4-3 being a problem for Doom. He posted something like (edit) 17 sacks as a senior at UL in a 4-3, and really showed promise in his rookie or second season and posted 10 sacks.
                        Yes, I don't get those who say he will have problems rushing the passer in a 4-3. He prefers pass rushing with his hand on the ground if anything. He had like 12 sacks, when used nearly exclusively on the third down, and that was with a terrible Broncos line.

I think the legitimate concern is his ability to stop the run. Though I think with a strong enough defensive line (really my key concern with the draft) it isn't a problem. We can always at least count on him to take up the blocker, he might not get off the blocker but if he can make the blocker stay on him, he is still taking away a gap, and is allowing the LBs to make plays.

I've never been more anxious for an offseason. I'm actually really excited. I guess that is what being on the bottom does for you. Can only look one way.
                        And I want to know what defense we are going to use so my posts don't have to stop being so long, and can be more pointed to a specific system/players.
                        Last edited by DBNYDP; 12-31-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Honestly, after watching Bowers today... Unimpressed. I Know there's more to him than I saw, you don't just become NCAA DPOY for no reason. But he really wasn't all that explosive, wasn't as fast as I expected. At this point, I want a sure thing with a top 5 pick. I'm sure Bowers will have a solid career, but I think we need an explosive player who can hit the corner and rush the passer using power AND speed. maybe I'm overthinking this, he did have at least a sack (although I had to miss an hour to drive my brother to the train station) and has posted 16-17 sacks this year so clearly he can rush, but I wonder if he will be able to do so at the next level as effectively.

Another user put it wisely when they stated that he probably will never put up crazy numbers, and that he lacked an elite first step that you'd expect out of someone who was a running back in high school. I could not agree more.

I really hope to see how he weighs/what his body fat is and how fares at the combine because he needs to prove it to me. I would pass on the kid seeing what I saw today.

PP or bust.
                          Last edited by Jimmy; 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• I just found out that the half sack he recorded wasn't given to him. He was held sackless.

Comment

• I wasn't really looking at Bowers this year. Just for the fact that if we go to 4-3, we better be getting Fairley. And if we go to 3-4, I'm worried about his ability to be a gamechanging 3-4 linemen with a top 5 pick.

Comment

• Dareus is an *absolute stud*, if I may for a moment steal the asterisks for purposes of emphasis. After watching this game, it'd be hard for me to defend us not taking him, regardless of value. Maybe we trade down a few spots. Anyone who puts Fairley ahead of him after this game (barring a Suh like performance from Fairley in the National Championship Game) is out of their mind. Dareus played the entire game on a 3 man front at end, and absolutely dominated. I have no question this guy can play end in our system anymore. The only question that remains is related to character/motivation issues, and those are things that just might have to be ignored.

At this point, this is what our draft board/priority sheet should look like.

1. Marcel Dareus (trade down a few spots?)
                                -or-
                                2. Patrick Peterson (terrific value & the sexier pick, but we all know we just need to go DL, DL, Dl, MLB this year.
                                Last edited by Jimmy; 01-01-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information