This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by njx9
    why is that? i don't know much about him other than that he's had really, really sporadic success in carolina.
    He was an incredible DC for the Giants. Our Spagnuolo of the late 90s. He's also done an incredible job with that Panther organization. Let's be real, while he had ok talent there, the talent on those Panthers teams never stood out on paper. He squeezed every drop he could out of those teams.

That 08 team that was the 2 seed? Come on. They rode a run game, Steve Smith, and a middle tier defense all the way to the 2 seed.

The reason why he was inconsistent is bc in this league, talent lends to consistency. You can be a flash in the pan, win more than you should and overachieve every other year with good coaching, but if you want consistent success, you need talent. And a good qb. And the Panthers in my opinion, were mediocre in both those areas.

Fox is widely respected amongst league circles. NFL guys know the real deal. They know far more than we know. For Fox to have the type of respect he has amongst organizations says a lot about what kind of football coach he is.

You guys have one hell of a coach. Congrats. I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't jealous.

Comment

• Even if his success continues to be sporadic, I'd much rather have sporadic success than constant failure. So he's a definite upgrade over McD.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
      Originally posted by njx9
      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
        Fox is our guy.
        Doesn't surprise me at all and it's a good move for the team.

Apparently, he's been rounding up his coaching staff today. Sounds like Jim Mora Jr. is the leader for the DC spot and we may end up retaining McCoy.

Comment

• Great news. I'm relieved that Dennison didn't get the job solely on his "roots" here in Denver. Retaining McCoy makes me a bit nervous, though. But I think this takes the speculation out of which defensive system we will run, as Fox has always used the 43. Quite successfully I might add. I have to admit, I am very excited for the future now.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• yea, this is definitely good news. anyone have info on his contract numbers?
            Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
            Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

• I don't know.
              Fox said that he is willing to use the 3-4 in Denver.
              Just saying.
              I wonder who is the offensive coordinator now, and I really hope we don't get DeAngelo Williams.

Comment

• Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                I don't know.
                Fox said that he is willing to use the 3-4 in Denver.
                Just saying.
                I wonder who is the offensive coordinator now, and I really hope we don't get DeAngelo Williams.
                While he may have said he was willing, he is now officially the most knowledgeable defensive mind in the Broncos organization (and by a long way). If Elway, etc. are smart they will let Fox do whatever the heck he wants on that side of the ball, no matter what their preferences are.

Comment

• I like DeAngelo, but there are legitimate questions about his durability. We would probably have to give up a high draft pick, and he's just not worth it.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

why would we give up any draft pick? i was pretty sure he was udfa at the end of the season.
                    The talk I've heard from some Panthers fans is that they'll franchise and then try to trade him. There are a number of problems with that:

1. The CBA chaos may make that impossible
                    2. Trading a player who is not under contract is a lot trickier, due to the negotiation of a new contract as part of the trade
                    3. Carolina's ownership is very stingy... I don't see them wanting to be stuck with paying out the franchise tag $$$ if a trade can't be worked out

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Williams isn't really a "complementary" back to Knowshon, but he's a good player and the extra firepower wouldn't hurt.

Comment

and I really hope we don't get DeAngelo Williams.
                      Deangelo Williams is a 1,400+ yard back when healthy. There. I said it.

I'm all for hauling the dude in. 2 times the player slowshon is.

Comment

• Do you guys think there is a possibility that Robert Quinn could be the pick at #2? He seems to fit a position of need and can project to a 3-4 or 4-3.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                        WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                          Do you guys think there is a possibility that Robert Quinn could be the pick at #2? He seems to fit a position of need and can project to a 3-4 or 4-3.
                          I think he would have to blow up the combine for us to take him that high. But, I think it is possible. He might be the best pass-rusher in the draft, which says a lot.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

why? he'd be far better than anything we have.
                            He is about to fall apart.
                            Plus money..

He's been a workhorse and he has absolutely been run down.
                            Last edited by DBNYDP; 01-15-2011, 03:12 AM.

Comment

He is about to fall apart.
                              Plus money..

He's been a workhorse and he has absolutely been run down.
                              A workhorse? He's only had more than 250 carries once, and only over 200 carries in a season twice. He's only had 841 carries in 5 seasons. He's been far from run down.

Comment

• Originally posted by crossroads View Post
                                A workhorse? He's only had more than 250 carries once, and only over 200 carries in a season twice. He's only had 841 carries in 5 seasons. He's been far from run down.
                                969 carries in college as well.
                                He's reaching the age when most running backs break down. Add in the fact that we are going to have to pay him a good deal to come...
                                I rather get a cheaper/younger guy in FA or the draft.
                                Last edited by DBNYDP; 01-15-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information