This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cunningham View Post
    it's good, but we have miami's 2nd rounder as well. any reason for having nevis over paea and liuget?
    Didn't know you had an extra 2nd. Shoot, I'd use that 2nd on Nate Irving and ditch Quan in the 3rd if that were the case.

I assumed Paea and Liuget may both be gone. Plus Nevis reminds me of Geno Atkins in a way. I admit I'm not entirely sold on Nevis, but he is a great fit as a pass rusher inside in a 4-3. He's very exclusively a 4-3 DT, and I highly doubt he's gone in the 1st.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
      so they drafted another DB in the first because having a nickel back was that important (apparently more important than addressing an aging front seven)?

what does perrish cox have to do with anything?
      In case you didn't know, a nickel corner is basically a starter in the NFL.

I'm just pointing out that Perrish Cox is more deserving of a starting job than Kyle Wilson is, based on last years play.

I just don't get the insistence that we draft Peterson. It won't happen. Count on it.
      Last edited by jCut; 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        Didn't know you had an extra 2nd. Shoot, I'd use that 2nd on Nate Irving and ditch Quan in the 3rd if that were the case.

I assumed Paea and Liuget may both be gone. Plus Nevis reminds me of Geno Atkins in a way. I admit I'm not entirely sold on Nevis, but he is a great fit as a pass rusher inside in a 4-3. He's very exclusively a 4-3 DT, and I highly doubt he's gone in the 1st.
        Nevis just doesn't do it for me. We need a dominant run-stuffer, and that's why we should target a DT earlier.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• Originally posted by jCut View Post
          Nevis just doesn't do it for me. We need a dominant run-stuffer, and that's why we should target a DT earlier.
          run stuffing nose tackles in a 4-3 defense can be had in later rounds. in a 43, you want your Under to be a pass rusher first and foremost.

He can develop into a run stuffer when he puts on more weight and gets some NFL coaching.

I agree though, Nevis needs some work. We'll have a better idea of where guys will fall once the combine comes around. It would not surprise me if you can get Nevis in the 3rd when all the dust settles.

Geno fell to the 4th bc he was strictly a pass rushing DT who was undersized. But those guys thrive in a 4-3.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            run stuffing nose tackles in a 4-3 defense can be had in later rounds. in a 43, you want your Under to be a pass rusher first and foremost.
            I'd say an inside pass rusher is right at the top of our needs. Too many times our DL gets stonewalled by the OL on passing downs. Dumervil coming back gives us the outside rush, but having some push inside as well would make it difficult for the QB to step up to avoid Doom.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
              see, this is why i think we take (i mean, why *i* would take) peterson in the first. i think there are a LOT of guys we could target with those two seconds and third to play upfront.

anyone have thoughts on jamal williams as a run-down guy? he's a big body, but i dunno what his role would be (maybe 'how he would fit in' would be more accurate) in a 43...
              I would think that Bannan and Williams could split reps as a 4-3 NT. I am not even sure that we need to draft someone this year for that role. Pass rushing DT is the real need, with LB, CB, and S all more important than the run stuffing DT.

Comment

• Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see Williams making the team. Bannan is the only guy I think is assured of a spot.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see Williams making the team. Bannan is the only guy I think is assured of a spot.
                  You may be right, but based on our lack of quality depth it might be worthwhile to keep Williams there for goal-line and obvious running down duties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timbathia View Post
                    You may be right, but based on our lack of quality depth it might be worthwhile to keep Williams there for goal-line and obvious running down duties.
                    Definitely a good point, but I think we may just cut him, considering he is owed $5 million this year and none of it is guaranteed. He's definitely not worth the money and I don't know if he wants to be part of our rebuilding process in moving to a 43.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• Xanders talking about changes in how they are approaching the draft:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17493183

I'm glad the shortlist approach is gone. It was obvious we reached on some players using that system (e.g. Quinn).

The "speed and athleticism" bit is interesting. MLB, SLB and SS are all in dire need of an upgrade if that is what we are looking for in our back 7.

Comment

• Lately I've been conflicted.
                        If we drafted Peterson I wouldn't mutilate myself. It would give us a great corner, and that is pretty rare to find.
                        Especially if we can get a combination of Paea/Nevis/Austin/Wilkerson/Taylor with our 2nd round picks.
                        I'd keep Williams as a backup NT. He's a solid leader on this team, and should be able to mentor guys on this line. He's also a high character guy so maybe he can make sure that some of the "questionable characters" at defensive tackle learn to behave themselves as professionals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diehard View Post
                          Xanders talking about changes in how they are approaching the draft:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17493183

I'm glad the shortlist approach is gone. It was obvious we reached on some players using that system (e.g. Quinn).

The "speed and athleticism" bit is interesting. MLB, SLB and SS are all in dire need of an upgrade if that is what we are looking for in our back 7.
                          Wow. Interesting read.

I wonder if Woodyard could be a stop-gap at SLB. He definitely has the speed and athleticism. He was obviously miscast as a 34 ILB.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• The good news is that no matter who we draft at 2, they will be an immediate upgrade.

The bads news is that the good news is pretty pathetic.

I think Carolina goes with Bowers/Quinn, I personally have my eye on Dareus anyways, so that'd be fine by me. Either one of the DL imo.

Comment

I wonder if Woodyard could be a stop-gap at SLB. He definitely has the speed and athleticism. He was obviously miscast as a 34 ILB.
                              Taking on the TE (in the running game and in coverage) is the bread-n-butter of a 4-3 SLB. Woodyard gives up a lot of weight in that matchup... he's only 220 or so.

Comment

• Yes, I think Lawson would work. FA is the right place to be looking for a SLB - reasonable value for money since you aren't overpaying for pass rush and there are some options available this time around (assuming FA happens).

We haven't been able to cover a TE in, well, forever it seems. Would be nice to change that.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information