Clear All

• ha, *******'s name is still bleeped.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
      ha, *******'s name is still bleeped.
      what ever happened to good ole shaun

Comment

• Tim Brewster gone

Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster will become the new head coach at Minnesota, replacing the fired Glen Mason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

I would have like a little more continuity for Scheffler.

I agree that DE has more depth (especially outside of first round) than DT however, realize that DT is stastically the biggest bust position.

I go back to the San Fran game when Shanahan would not put Tatum in, and only played Mike Bell. Do you really think that Shanahan will go into the season with Mike as our starter - I do not.

I think Shanahan sees what Maroney is doing in NE and says "what if I had not been able to draft up for Cutler" . . . ? And then he looks at who NE is playing and sees Addai, another rookie RB.

I think he suprises us all with a stud RB in round 1 and then addresses DE with 2nd round, depending upon what is available when he picks.

Comment

• Re: Tim Brewster gone

Originally posted by M
          Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster will become the new head coach at Minnesota, replacing the fired Glen Mason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

I would have like a little more continuity for Scheffler.

I agree that DE has more depth (especially outside of first round) than DT however, realize that DT is stastically the biggest bust position.

I go back to the San Fran game when Shanahan would not put Tatum in, and only played Mike Bell. Do you really think that Shanahan will go into the season with Mike as our starter - I do not.

I think Shanahan sees what Maroney is doing in NE and says "what if I had not been able to draft up for Cutler" . . . ? And then he looks at who NE is playing and sees Addai, another rookie RB.

I think he suprises us all with a stud RB in round 1 and then addresses DE with 2nd round, depending upon what is available when he picks.
          I disagree. I think Shanny likes Mike Bell and so do I. He's had some consistency problems, but hey, he was a rookie after all. He's played great in several games, and as for Tatum, even w/injuries and inconsistencies, he rushed for over 1000 yards. RB is not the most PRESSING issue. THen again, Shanny doesn't like drafting DLine in the first round so you may be right altho I hate the idea.

If he really wants a stud RB who would fit well w/us, wait for next year to get either Slaton or McFadden.

Projected win total: 55+

Comment

• i agree there. so far this year's running back class doesn't really do it for me. i've been persuaded a bit on lynch, but it just doesn't scream great to me.

then again, tatum needs to be gone. he's effective as a situational guy, but now we can't count on him to hang onto the ball in those situations. screw it.

i also am not a big fan of mike as a starter. he never wowed me. i think someone said olandis gary here, and while gary did run for 1100ish yards, is that really a great contribution to our offense? 70 yards per game just isn't really getting it done. *shrug*

seems like we're sort of screwed either way. i guess in the end, if we can't grab one of the top two and no one else is seriously impressive in the near future, i'd just as soon address a bunch of these other needs this year, then use picks asammo next year to make a big jump for a stud (like the aforementioned mcfadden and slaton).

Comment

• bump

Comment

i agree there. so far this year's running back class doesn't really do it for me. i've been persuaded a bit on lynch, but it just doesn't scream great to me.

then again, tatum needs to be gone. he's effective as a situational guy, but now we can't count on him to hang onto the ball in those situations. screw it.

i also am not a big fan of mike as a starter. he never wowed me. i think someone said olandis gary here, and while gary did run for 1100ish yards, is that really a great contribution to our offense? 70 yards per game just isn't really getting it done. *shrug*

seems like we're sort of screwed either way. i guess in the end, if we can't grab one of the top two and no one else is seriously impressive in the near future, i'd just as soon address a bunch of these other needs this year, then use picks asammo next year to make a big jump for a stud (like the aforementioned mcfadden and slaton).
                I don't think Denver should be picking a RB in the first 2 rounds, but some sort of prospect in the 3rd or later could be a good idea. The Bell/Bell rotation is not terrible, and it will get you by. If Cutler can generate a legit air attack, it will do a lot for the running game. There are no obvious Denver-style RB's in this draft, but you should always draft at least 1 to keep the stable fresh.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• i more or less agree. i really like cobbs and wish he'd gotten a chance.

meh. in any other year, i'd hope for a move up to grab AD (assuming we get another 3rd in compensatory, we'd have the ammo). but there are just so many other needs right now.

it seems odd to be despondent about a team that should really compete for the playoffs next year.

Comment

• I might be completely wrong but . . .

Can anyone recall a year in which we had a new starter almost every week under Shanahan that was not due to injury. The answer is never.

I am not saying what I think we need to address a RB (we need to draft O and D line and everyone know I want Lynch gone and a safety picked in first 2 rounds) I am saying what I think he will address. I am not sold on what I know about Lynch. Obviously AP will be gone but Bush could be there due to injury and I hear he will not compete at combine, at least in running drills due to recover. He will fall and be available when we draft in round 1 but not round 2. Regardles, this is all moot as something will happen with Plummer so that will open up cap space and hopefully a draft pick (also throw in compensatory pick for Darrent and can you say moving up in the second round). How about we trade Washington for Sean Taylor and give them Lynch, Plummer and a 3rd round pick? We trade with them every year so why not? Think safety Meriweather in the 3rd round for a steal and an immediate starter.

I could also see him drafting a big pounding RB in 5th/6th like:
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=152310
                    http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...yerpage/413388
                    or this years undrafted FA like
                    http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=519802

My point is something will give this year at RB. There is a reason why the starting job was given to Tatum, then Cobb, then Mike, then Cobb, then Tatum, then Mike, then Tatum - then Tatum was not allowed late in second half due to fumbling problems. Oh yeah, we are not in playoffs due to the fact we could not punch the ball in 3 times on 1st and goal inside the 5 - something will give!

Why do you think Shanahan tried to pick up Thomas Jones from Chicago before the season for Lelie and money - they knew this train wreck was coming.

And for those who say Cutler's verticle game will open up the running, that is NOT how Shanahan runs his offense, it has always been to establish the run to open up the passing game - even with Elway at QB as seen before TD (with limited success), with TD, and after TD (with limited success). Having a strong armed QB allows him to hit the seam (when the LB's move up, respect the play-action or crossing routes in middle with McCaffrey) or hit the deep outs (when safetys creep up).

You are exactly right bsaza2358, just reversed on the analysis.

I might be completely wrong but . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy
                      old news dont know if it had been brought up
                      The Broncos have signed the following street free agents to contracts for 2007:

QB Darrell ***********
                      FB Troy Fleming
                      TE Teyo Johnson
                      OT Jacob Rogers
                      DE Carlos Hall
                      S Lamont Reid
                      P Eddie Johnson
                      I think *******, Fleming, Johnson, and Hall all have good shots at making the active roster.

Comment

i more or less agree. i really like cobbs and wish he'd gotten a chance.

meh. in any other year, i'd hope for a move up to grab AD (assuming we get another 3rd in compensatory, we'd have the ammo). but there are just so many other needs right now.

it seems odd to be despondent about a team that should really compete for the playoffs next year.
                        You can't trade compensatory picks. And I don't think we'll be getting anything good in the compensatory department this year.

Comment

• Re: I might be completely wrong but . . .

Originally posted by M
                          rThink safety Meriweather in the 3rd round for a steal and an immediate starter.
                          I like Meriweather as a player, but as a person, he just sucks. We want to get rid of gang violence from Denver, not bring in a someone with known gang affiliation.

Originally posted by M
                          (also throw in compensatory pick for Darrent and can you say moving up in the second round)
                          ok.

A. We're not going to get any sort of compensatory pick for Darrent.

B. You cannot trade compensatory picks anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by CT Bronco Fan
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            i more or less agree. i really like cobbs and wish he'd gotten a chance.

You can't trade compensatory picks. And I don't think we'll be getting anything good in the compensatory department this year.
                            no kidding. but that means we have two that would be available for trade and that we'd still have one after. and why wouldn't we? we just lost a pro bowl defensive end and a top CB without any real signings against. plus, we always seem to get something better than we should.

Comment

• So what do you guys think about the Carriker/Wilson picks that Scott gave us?

I'm fairly sure most will agree that Carriker isn't the pick we need. But, I'm not going to lie, while I don't think it's a pressing need, Wilson doesn't seem that bad too me.

I really just think you have problems when David Kircus is your punt return man.

Comment

• Originally posted by rcpbawler
                                So what do you guys think about the Carriker/Wilson picks that Scott gave us?

I'm fairly sure most will agree that Carriker isn't the pick we need. But, I'm not going to lie, while I don't think it's a pressing need, Wilson doesn't seem that bad too me.

I really just think you have problems when David Kircus is your punt return man.
                                David Kircus is our fastest reciever. I would prefer a speedy guy back there anyways. I think the soultion is to draft a DT. I dont agree with the Carriker pick because frankly, I am not impressed with him and I don't like him, and I think that we have more pressing needs at Offensive Tackle and Defensive Tackle. We need a really good DT, and a good LT to back up Lepsis. I would kill for Joe Thomas. Think about it, 75% of first round picks turn out to be above average players, we need an above average player at DT right now more than we do at DE.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information