This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by njx9
    then again, after letting elam go, it's pretty clear that shanahan doesn't think we need to bother with special teams. you'd think nearly a decade of godawful play would've proved him wrong already.
    Though I'm not completely sold on Prater yet, he is doing the one thing that the coaches want him to do in replacing Elam and that is to kick the ball into the end zone on kickoffs. If he does that consistently then it nullifies our atrocious return coverage. I don't like that he's missed a FG in each game but he is 6/8 and 75% isn't utterly terrible. As long as our red zone offense is actually improved then we won't have to rely on Prater to win games.

Comment

you say "as long as our red zone offense is improved" as if it might actually be improved (for the first time in a decade). i'll believe it when i see it.
      Well, for the first time in a decade the Broncos have a QB capable of putting the ball in the small windows necessary to score red zone TDs who is also looking comfortable with the offense. I'm not convinced the running game is where it needs to be, but I do think Cutler's play-making ability will open things up for Hall or Young inside.

I agree that it's a big if, and if we can't score TDs Prater will likely cost us a game that Elam would have won with FG. Then again, Prater might save us a few points and win us a game by consistently making teams go 80 yards after Kick-offs instead of the 69 or so they had to go last year because no one could kick the ball into the end zone.

As far as punting, we haven't had a consistent punting game since Rouen probably so Palescu or Kern is nothing new. This is definitely an area I'd like us to solve someday.
      Last edited by jaffe28; 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, the red zone play-calling has been iffy for quite awhile. I think that Coach Shanahan has not adjusted well to a less talented group of players since Elway, Davis, Zimmerman, Jones, Stink went into the night. If I recall, during the 3 year run 13-3, 12-4, 14-2 and two Superbowl championships everybody knew what two or three plays we were going to call in the red zone and simply couldn't stop it. So our red zone woes since then seem like a combination of lesser personnel and Coach not always being creative enough with what he had. Then again, Plummer/Griese without exceptional wide receivers other than Rod Smith really doesn't threaten anyone with the passing game in close even with creativity making the running game less effective. Cutler might make all the difference there, particularly when Brandon Marshall comes back. I'd like it better if Torain hadn't been injured though.

Saurbrun definitely looked like the answer but his idiocy made that a flash so still no consistency.

As far as your last question, I don't think there is a record that could get Shanahan fired at the end of this year because the team has done a reasonable job of selling the idea that the Broncos are young and may need time to develop. However, if they go 6-10 or worse then they better be a hell of a lot better in '09 or Bowlen might not be able to ignore the screams from the fan base.

Comment

• jaffe is right, Red Zone offense is pretty easy when all you had to do was hand the ball to TD lol.

And Shanny could go 0 - 16 this year, and he would not be in any jeopardy of being fired.

This is the first season in awhile that I really have no clue what to expect from the Broncos this year. The O-line scares me to be honest, I'm not sure if they are going to be good enough to keep a solid run game. Clady has looked pretty good though so far in pre-season.

Comment

• Originally posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
            This is the first season in awhile that I really have no clue what to expect from the Broncos this year. The O-line scares me to be honest, I'm not sure if they are going to be good enough to keep a solid run game. Clady has looked pretty good though so far in pre-season.
            I think the OL will be okay. Better in pass protect than run blocking, though.

Moving the ball shouldn't be a problem - it's the defense that has me worried. According to the new depth chart, Nate Webster is our starting MLB... which pretty much means we're ******.

Comment

• I think the Broncos are going to be middle of the pack again. Anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6 IMO. From what I see, a solid offense that could very well be top 10, a mediocre defense that I'm praying plays the run during the regular season as well as they have been in preseason, and the special teams is just a big quesiton mark to me. Only sure thing with special teams is Prater can kick the living hell out of the ball on kickoffs, which is a plus.

Its kinda funny, I've argued with a Packer fan and a Raiders fan on another site, both think this team is absolutely terrible and a 3-13 team. lol, we aren't in "Chiefs" territory

Comment

• Originally posted by jth1331 View Post
                Its kinda funny, I've argued with a Packer fan and a Raiders fan on another site, both think this team is absolutely terrible and a 3-13 team. lol, we aren't in "Chiefs" territory
                I would be curious to hear their reasoning. How is the team significantly worse than it was last year?

Besides, a Raiders fan talking about any other team being terrible? Pot. Kettle. Black.

Comment

• I think Royal will emergeas the number 2 wr after a few weeks. he will get his chance while marshall is out. I also like how Clady has been. Go broncos!
                  my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                  <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                  Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

are we really that much better?
                    No. Other than the pass offense (which I think will be good), it looks like "equal but different" at this point. Something in the range of 6 to 9 wins seems about right for this team. I'm expecting the start to be a little rocky, but our later season schedule is favorable to racking up some wins.

However, getting back to our mysterious Raiders fan comments, 3-13 would represent a significant decline, which I just don't see unless we get ravaged by injuries.

it's hoping for a lot if you're thinking our DE play improves substantially
                    I have very low expectations for our DE's. Doom can do good things on passing downs, but gets run over. Everyone else is just fodder or potential (bust).

Comment

• Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                      I think Royal will emergeas the number 2 wr after a few weeks. he will get his chance while marshall is out. I also like how Clady has been. Go broncos!
                      Apparently, we don't have to wait. According to the newest depth chart, the starting WR's are Marshall and Royal.

A Chiefs fan uttering "Go broncos!" ? Strange days indeed... ;)

Comment

• I am a fan of them. I respect them. One of my best friends is a co's fan. Plus jay Cutlerz is sooo sexyz. almost as sexy as njx
                        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

are we really that much better? i mean, addition by subtraction at LB, but now we've got boss bailey who tackles only marginally better than gold. we still have no safety. i'll be shocked if our DTs are really any better. it's hoping for a lot if you're thinking our DE play improves substantially, especially on a team where the head coach has all but stated that he doesn't want to blitz for any reason ever, no matter how little pressure we're generating.

we have two unproven tackles (which is still better than pears) but we're still two solid hits away from losing 2/3 of our interior OL with not much waiting to replace them. marshall's out for 3 games, but unless eddie royal also continues to light it up in the regular season, we still don't have a viable #2 (and again, sans royal, we still have no ability whatsoever to go deep ever). dan graham is still wasting money and a roster spot. our special teams got substantially worse in some ways (FG) and substantially better in others (KO) but stayed probably just as pathetic as ever in everything else (returns, punting, coaching).

i'd back off my original guess of 2-14, but i'd say anything over 6 wins is a bit optimistic for this next season.
                          McCree is solid at safety...but safety is a concern.

Wiegmann is solid at center should Nalen not be able. Holland, Hamilton, and Kuper are solid guards. Lepsis should not have played last year and Harris is at least as good as Pears. Clady has looked good thus far. Based on that our o-line will be better.

Our WR's are better than last year (Royal, Jackson, Stokely)

Our DT's are better than last year (experience and Robertson)

Our DE's are better than last year (experience and Ekuban returning)

Our LB's are better than last year (minus gold)

Our ST's are marginally worse (minus elam but better kickoffs)

I don't see much as to how we are not improved. Will we make the playoffs...I would be surprised, but overall the team will be better.

Comment

chris will be pissed if you're trying to move in on his boy.
                            Y'all know he betta stay away from MA MAN. MMHMM! *snap snap*

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• So we traded a 5th rounder for Montrae Holland earlier to you guys?

How is this guy? Is he just depth or could he be a starter for the cowboys?

Kyle Kosier (LG and weakest link) is out until week 6 So I'm thinking we either brought Holland in to start because we liked him durring the practice sessions or we brought him in incase Pat Mcquistin (Kosier's back-up) gets injured.

Comment

• Holland started every game for us last year and was half-decent.

He came into camp way overweight, which pissed off the coaching staff. Given the emergence of some of our young linemen, he was well on his way to getting cut.

Even when he's in shape, he's not really the prototypical Denver OL. I think he'll probably fit in better in Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information