Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fact that the chargers want to pin their disappointing performance on the injury to Merriman is laughable. If Tom Brady can't cause that much of a difference on the Patriots, then Merriman sure as hell shouldn't cause that much of a difference for the chargers. Fact is that the Chargers are on the decline, see LT and Jamal Williams as an example, and their window is closing. They are still a good team, but not near the strength they were previously.

Rivers is a punk and while a good QB, Cutler has him beat in almost every catagory (except maturity I'd say). If Cutler hadn't lost 8 freaking RBs this year to keep defenses even remotely honest his stats / performance would have been better. It's hard to come up with an effective game plan or passing attack when the opposing defense knows you can't run the ball effectively and basically play a nickel / dime against you every play.

No fourth quarter poise? I guess fourth quarter comebacks this year against the Browns, KC, and Atlanta don't count???

Comment

• Can we cut the whole defense except Champ yet?

Oh and fire Shanahan and whoever is calling our plays.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
      Originally posted by njx9
      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by CutlerChris View Post
        Can we cut the whole defense except Champ yet?
        Why leave Champ out of the fun? He's pretty much done anyway and doesn't really bring much in terms of leadership.

Oh and fire Shanahan and whoever is calling our plays.
        Little boy Bates? What, you don't like seeing yet another WR screen fail?

Comment

• Originally posted by Diehard View Post
          Why leave Champ out of the fun? He's pretty much done anyway and doesn't really bring much in terms of leadership.

Little boy Bates? What, you don't like seeing yet another WR screen fail?
          I still think Champ is the best CB in the league when healthy. Problem is, he's having trouble doing that cuz we leave him in coverage so long and he's our best defender.

And I'd prefer seeing plays that go vertically, especially when that's our strength.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
          Originally posted by njx9
          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
            I take that back. DJ, Dumervil and Champ might actually have trade value.
            The scary thing is that all three of these guys are overrated to some degree. DJ is the worst offender, Dumervil is really just a role player and you can pretty much count on Champ to be dinged up or out for half the season.

Comment

our coaching staff needs to go. unless shanny can suddenly remember what he did over a decade ago, and unless guys like gibbs and kubiak decide to come back, the broncos aren't getting much better.
              Apparently, Shanahan indicated that Slowik would remain as DC for the 2009 season. I'm in denial that this could even be a possibility.

Comment

what in the name of holy ******* **** for? because he ran the league's most inept unit? if true, i may actually stop watching the broncos until shanahan is fired in protest. that's beyond ******* belief.
                If the report is true, then it simply confirms that Slowik is just Shanahan's stooge. If Shanny's calling all the shots, and everyone in the organization knows it, then firing Slowik doesn't really do much to deflect the blame.

Comment

• Well that was fun...ugh. At least we get a #12 draft pick.

I'd love to sign Asomugah, Otogwe, and Canty in FA. And dumping Bly would be a dream come true. Draft the best MLB available in the first round, RB in ound 2, and then best defensive playe through out the rest of the draft. Trading DJ is fine with me. His performance has steadily declined IMO and last nights peformance was the worst I've seen. Schefter was on the radio earlier and said that Bly is done and would have a hard time finding a place to play next year. If we trade DJ and cut Bly we will have a lot of cap room (currently have 30 mil) to make some FA moves.

I also think Slowik needs to be canned, but it looks like he won't. What we could use is a d-line coach and a better strength/conditioning coach.

Next years starting lineup on defense:
                  DE Canty
                  DT Robertson
                  DT Thomas
                  DE Dumevile, Moss
                  WLB Woodyard
                  MLB Rookie
                  SLB rookie or some combo of Boss,Winbon, or Webster (maybe FA but doubt it)
                  CB Bailey
                  CB Asomugah
                  S Otogwe
                  S Barrett

Offense:
                  QB Cutler
                  RB Rookie, Torain, whoever is healthy after this year
                  FB Hillis
                  WR Marshall
                  WR Royal
                  TE Graham/Scheffle
                  OT Clady
                  OG Hamilton
                  C Wiegmann
                  OG Kuper
                  OT Harris
                  Last edited by rascal; 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• guys, is the D being terrible more Shanny or your DC's fault? I love Shanny and hope to see him stay and do well, just wondering if he's losing his mind or something...
                    We ALL bleed scarlet
                    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

regardless, like him or not, he's no longer a capable coach in the nfl. would that change if he lost all GM duties? i don't believe it, but maybe.
                      Of course, Bowlen hasn't shown he has the balls to force the issue with Shanahan... probably afraid that Shanny would just resign instead.

Slowik is just a patsy in all of this. He's been overpromoted because he's a yes man and the players (Champ, in particular) apparently like him... traits that are entirely useless for the rebuilding project we have on our hands. I'm concerned about the lack of objectivity, the unwillingness to make the tough cuts and the inability to evaluate defensive talent needed to lay the foundation for the future.

Comment

• http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...season-begins/

Slowik apparently has no answers for the utter failure of the defense. It's a ******* disgrace. I don't care if he's a stooge, he needs to go.

I am now convinced that Shanahan thinks he can win it all with offense alone. Watch us defy all expectations/sanity and go for more firepower (RB, receiver and interior OL) early in the draft.

Comment

i think i said it here before (and not just out loud to people who probably looked at me funny), but it honestly wouldn't bother me that much. shanny can't draft defense. pure and simple. so at least if we take all offense in the draft, there's a better chance of us taking good players. although we certainly run the risk of taking more claretts...
                          That would pretty much be the definition of "making the best of a bad situation"... and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it happened.

Of course the defense would get a few bones thrown its way (say safety in round 2 or 3, then DL/LB help in the late rounds and UFA)... just enough so they can make the claim to be "reloading" the defense. Add in a few bargain basement defensive FA's and we're on our way...

Comment

• I bet Shanahan takes Chris Wells and Hakeem Nicks...I don't know what to say about them not canning Slowik. That would be like finding out the Lions resigned their coach, and gave him a promotion.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                            Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                            i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                            Originally posted by Job
                            NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by rascal View Post
                              The fact that the chargers want to pin their disappointing performance on the injury to Merriman is laughable. If Tom Brady can't cause that much of a difference on the Patriots, then Merriman sure as hell shouldn't cause that much of a difference for the chargers. Fact is that the Chargers are on the decline, see LT and Jamal Williams as an example, and their window is closing. They are still a good team, but not near the strength they were previously.

Rivers is a punk and while a good QB, Cutler has him beat in almost every catagory (except maturity I'd say). If Cutler hadn't lost 8 freaking RBs this year to keep defenses even remotely honest his stats / performance would have been better. It's hard to come up with an effective game plan or passing attack when the opposing defense knows you can't run the ball effectively and basically play a nickel / dime against you every play.

No fourth quarter poise? I guess fourth quarter comebacks this year against the Browns, KC, and Atlanta don't count???
                              Just to address some stuff:

-Merriman's absence wasn't the only reason our D was so awful, but it sure helped. No pass pressure in the first half of the season at all led to QBs from all over the place picking us apart. After Cottrell was fired, it was released that he had made no adjustments to deal with Merriman's departure. None...just inserted Jyles Tucker.

I like Tucker, but ultimately, gimme a break. Under Rivera, we are still pretty bad, but not atrocious.

As for Rivers v. Cutler, well everyone seems to be happy with their guy, so why not leave it at that? I do have to admit there's a certain satisfaction to Cutler outing himself as a pretty immature young guy.

Nothing says "Baby" like whining and demanding an apology from the guy who called you a baby, over a year after the fact. At a certain point...get over it, ya know? It's football.

Comment

• Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                                Just to address some stuff:
                                Were you waiting to make sure you won the game before responding to these comments?

Anyway, Rivers and Cutler is a wash, both are good QB's and the banter only helps the rivalry. As far as the decline in SD's defense goes, well, I'm not going to comment - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Safe to say that I'd happily take anything over the piece of **** defense that Denver is putting out on the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information