This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    2. he's great at getting the most out of a defense. you have man corners, and thats about it, but he can make the most of it, and with a solid draft, will make that defense very respectable.
    I think Denver will be a nice draw for any defensive minded HC / GM candidates, despite our current defensive problems, simply because we can afford to use most of the offseason (draft, FA) on defense. That's going to give someone the chance to really mould the defense to their liking.

I'm leaning more to the NE connection as the stronger possibility, but Spagnuolo's attacking D scheme would certainly be a welcome sight in Denver...

Comment

• Interesting to see who we hire. I would imagine the Broncos job would be the most coveted at the moment, maybe the Jets giving us a run for that distinction. However, I can't see any already established coach really wanting to follow Shanahan, So that would rule out Cowher. I also don't think any of the "highly" considered coordinators would want to follow Shanahan either, so that would rule out Spagnolo McDaniels and Garret.

Cutler came out today in an interview and sounded like he was pretty pissed with the firing. Hopefully we don't end up with some clown like Mangini, will be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

• what are the chances that the Broncos release Rick Dennison?

Comment

• Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
          what are the chances that the Broncos release Rick Dennison?
          He was one of "Shanny's Guys" so that would entirely depend on if they promote from within, or if they hire someone from outside. Denninson was really just our O-line coach, despite his title. Jeremy Bates ran the offense this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
            He was one of "Shanny's Guys" so that would entirely depend on if they promote from within, or if they hire someone from outside. Denninson was really just our O-line coach, despite his title. Jeremy Bates ran the offense this year.
            that is what I want, he would become the Packers' o-line coach. Do you guys think he has some credit to the success of the ZBS in Denver? He has been there since 1995 so he must have done something.

Comment

• Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
              that is what I want, he would become the Packers' o-line coach. Do you guys think he has some credit to the success of the ZBS in Denver? He has been there since 1995 so he must have done something.
              I imagine he would have some knowledge of running a ZBS, although I would much rather have Alex Gibbs back.

Comment

I also don't think any of the "highly" considered coordinators would want to follow Shanahan either, so that would rule out Spagnolo McDaniels and Garret.
                The shadow of Shanahan isn't that daunting... especially if you are defensive coach. If you think you can rebuild the ruined defense, this is the best job available in the NFL right now.

Comment

• I think it's just fine following Shanahan, especially when the table is now set on offense: Cutler/WRs/TEs/OL. They just need a RB or two, they even have a kicker, otherwise the focus is all on the defense. And there are some pieces on the defensive line that Shanahan brought in (Dumervil, Moss, Crowder, Thomas, Powell) who haven't yet flourished as a whole.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Live feed of the Bowlen / Shanny presser, starting in about 30 min if anyone is interested in watching

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...V&year=&month=

As a side, I hope we hire a new coach soon, the anxiety is killing me

Comment

• Bowlen said in the presser, ALL coaches will be let go. and ALL of the personnel department will remain.

I really hope he reconsiders and at least keeps Bates and Turner on the offensive staff.

Comment

Bowlen said in the presser, ALL coaches will be let go. and ALL of the personnel department will remain.
                        He worded it a little more carefully than that... something like, he didn't "anticipate" any of the coaching staff would stay.

However...

That's really just setting things up to allow the new Head Coach to make the decision, which is 100% the right thing to do. Also, I heard on the radio that Bowlen okayed Jeremy Bates contract extension a few days ago... so he's not cruelly being thrown out the door.

Another interesting point was that Bowlen indicated he was looking specifically for a coach, and wasn't thinking about a GM at this time. Perhaps the power situation with Shanahan has taught him a lesson?

Comment

• SPAGNUOLO TO INTERVIEW WITH BRONCOS

Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2009, 1:45 p.m. EST

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will interview on Saturday for the unexpected head-coaching vacancy in Denver.

It will be, per Glazer, an “informal” interview, due to the fact that Spagnuolo has committed to other interviews during the Giants’ playoff bye week.

Spagnuolo has interviewed and/or will interview with the Lions, Browns, and Jets. Last year, he was considered for the Redskins’ job, but opted not to leave New York.

Glazer also reports that the Broncos will interview Bucs defensive coordinator Raheem Morris on Monday.

Since former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan held full authority over the roster and, as a practical matter, the personnel side of the operation, it remains to be seen whether Broncos owner Pat Bowlen hires a G.M. and a head coach, or a head coach who will operate with the same degree of control as Shanahan enjoyed.

The challenge of hiring a G.M. and a head coach is that it can get pricey — especially with a reported total of $21 million owed to Shanahan over the next three years.

~~

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                            i really dislike the morris interview.
                            It sounds to me more like Bowlen is just trying to get the minority interview out of the way from the Rooney Rule.

Comment

• ENGLEWOOD — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said the process of finding a new coach would begin quickly with the arrival of the new year Thursday.

He meant what he said.

The Broncos moved quickly on New Year's Day, locking up interviews with three NFL assistants as well as making a preliminary move to contact University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.

Bowlen could not be reached for comment on any of the day's events.

But the Broncos have finalized meetings with New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, newly named Tampa Bay defensive coordinator and former secondary coach Raheem Morris and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Spagnuolo will be the first to interview for the Broncos job since Mike Shanahan was fired Tuesday, with a meeting set for Saturday with Broncos officials.

Morris, who Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden recently promoted to replace the departed Monte Kiffin to run Tampa Bay's defense, will meet with the Broncos on Monday.

Also Thursday, the Broncos made preliminary moves toward Stoops, whose team will play Thursday in the Bowl Championship Series title game in Miami.

Wednesday, in his lone public appearance since Shanahan's firing, Bowlen continued to express the Broncos' job would be attractive to prospective coaches because of the offensive performance this season and the youth of the roster.

"This job . . . this is a very highly thought-of job and I expect to get a very good head coach. . . . I want him to be a 10 in every area," he said.

That appears to be the case in securing an interview with Spagnuolo, who will be the first in line for the Broncos because of rules regarding assistant coaches with teams in the playoffs.

When interviewing a coach with a team that has a first-round bye, as the Giants do, the Broncos are facing a Sunday deadline.

After that, assistants with playoff teams can be interviewed only after their teams are knocked out of the playoffs or in the week immediately after the conference championship games if their teams advance to the Super Bowl.

Because of that Sunday deadline, the Broncos aren't expected to interview Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz - the Titans have a bye this weekend so he will not be in the first wave of their interviews.

But Spagnuolo is a popular target around the league.

He spoke with the Browns on Thursday, is scheduled to interview with the New York Jets on Saturday and the Detroit Lions also have asked for, and received, permission to interview Spagnuolo at some point.

He moved the Broncos interview to Saturday evening despite the team being the last one of the four to contact him.

Because of the interview with the Jets and the Giants' preparations for their playoff game in a little more than a week, the Broncos will interview Spagnuolo in the New York area.

The Broncos are expected to interview McDaniels on the same trip as their interview with Spagnuolo.

The Redskins made a significant push to get Spagnuolo after the Giants' Super Bowl win against the previously undefeated Patriots in February, with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder bringing Spagnuolo to his estate for two days.

But Spagnuolo elected to stay with the Giants.

Giants players routinely have lauded Spagnuolo's preparation and the Giants finished fifth in defense during the regular season despite defensive end Michael Strahan's retirement and the loss of defensive end Osi Umenyiora to a season-ending injury early in the year.

Morris just was promoted by the Buccaneers to replace Kiffin, the team's longtime defensive coordinator who left to coach with his son Lane at the University of Tennessee.

A personality many in the league say people just gravitate to, Morris will be a popular head coaching candidate, several general managers predict, in the coming years if he is not hired by the Broncos.

The Buccaneers were second in the NFC against the pass this season and fourth in the league.

For his part, Stoops, who visited Broncos training camp during the summer with his coaching staff, is a known quantity to Bowlen.

But his contract at the football powerhouse averages about $3 million a year, and he will earn $6 million this year because of a $3 million bonus for staying at the school 10 seasons that kicked in on New Year's Day.

Bowlen is an Oklahoma graduate and he did spend some time with Stoops during the visit in August. The Broncos had not had any direct contact with Stoops as of Thursday, but they were making overtures to his representatives.

It is unlikely Stoops, who also was considered for the Redskins job last year, would consider an interview before his team faces Florida at Dolphin Stadium.

The Broncos also have discussed Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and could seek permission to speak with him once he is available to interview. The Vikings play host to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday in an NFC wild- card game.

Because of the league's Rooney Rule, the Broncos have to interview at least one minority candidate for the job and the league would prefer more than one is considered.

Comment

• edgerrin james (assuming he has a good postseason,) might be a hot commodity, as he just asked for a trade

if you remember, we tried to pursue him in 2006, but we were obv. outbid by the cards. What do you think about Edge running in a 2 back system for us? The upside is he recently showed he still has a burst last game of the season, however the down side is why take a back that has had his fair share on injuries when we just put 7 guys on I.R.?

How about a durable guy like LaGarrette Blount in the 2nd round?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information