X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading up?

Confirming what I already believed:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The private workout that USC quarterback Mark Sanchez had with Denver Broncos officials in Mission Viejo, Calif., likely will be the last time the strong-armed passer practices for the team.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels suggested as much Friday when he said he doubts the team would move into the top 10 in the NFL draft Saturday. He unequivocally dismissed the notion of trading both of his first-round picks to make a move for any top-tier player.

The Broncos own the 12th and 18th selections Saturday, and they might have to move ahead of the Seattle Seahawks at No. 4 to have a shot at Sanchez.
    Now this is more interesting:

http://www.broncosradionetwork.com/main.html

Listen to the Schefter interview. He basically said it was a fact that they were trying to move from 18 to 13-15 and his guess regarding the target was Knowshon Moreno.

Interesting stuff.

Comment

• well that makes it official IMO. Sanchez will be a Bronco, and we will trade both this year's firsts, and both of next year's to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
        well that makes it official IMO. Sanchez will be a Bronco, and we will trade both this year's firsts, and both of next year's to do it.
        LOL!

ten chars

Comment

• I'm cool with trading up a little for Moreno, but not cool with trading up in to the top 10 for Sanchez. As long as we get a studly defensive guy.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
          Originally posted by BaLLiN72
          i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
          Originally posted by Job
          NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

• Mike Klis was on KOA earlier and he indicated that the Broncos were planning to sit at 12 and had identified 5 prospects they were comfortable taking at that pick - 2 of which they were confident would be there (slight reaches due to scheme fit?).

Any guesses as to who the mysterious 5 are?

Comment

• Originally posted by Diehard View Post
              Any guesses as to who the mysterious 5 are?
              After seeing the media this morning, I'll partly answer my own question. According to the Denver Post:

1. Raji
              2. Jackson
              3. Ayers

The others? Perhaps:

4. Moreno
              5. a USC LB (Cushing would make sense in a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4)

Of course, I saw something a few minutes ago that we were trading a 1st for Brady Quinn, so who the hell really knows? Thankfully, all this smoke will soon be cleared...

Comment

• fantasy question guys.

Is Knowshon Moreno gonna be the feature back? Or will he split carries with Hillis?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  fantasy question guys.

Is Knowshon Moreno gonna be the feature back? Or will he split carries with Hillis?
                  I think he'll split mainly with Buckhalter... until Buck gets hurt (which is probably inevitable). That will open the door to Moreno being the feature back. You've also got Jordan and Torain floating around as well.

Hillis will leech some carries, but I'd be more concerned about how many scores he grabs up, particularly in the red zone. A bulldozer with soft hands is a very nice weapon close to the goal line...

Comment

• Originally posted by Diehard View Post
                    I think he'll split mainly with Buckhalter... until Buck gets hurt (which is probably inevitable). That will open the door to Moreno being the feature back. You've also got Jordan and Torain floating around as well.

Hillis will leech some carries, but I'd be more concerned about how many scores he grabs up, particularly in the red zone. A bulldozer with soft hands is a very nice weapon close to the goal line...
                    so in your opinion, would you draft him #16 overall, or is he not worth the "reach"?

I don't pick again until 32 picks later, so theres no chance of him falling that far, or any quality rbs for that matter. So my current plan is to "reach" for 2 quality RBs with picks 16 and 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      so in your opinion, would you draft him #16 overall, or is he not worth the "reach"?
                      To put things into context, here are some blurbs re: Moreno coming out of TC that might be useful...

1) Moreno got a lot of reps, it looks like he is going to play catch up. In 1 on 1's he got the better of DJ 3 times. First, a nice juke move left DJ grasping for air. The second time, he lowered his shoulder and stood DJ up. The third time he got around him too. In 7 on 7's he made a nice read, one cut and broke away, for what would have been a HUGE gain if not a TD. There is a lot to be excited about with this kid.
                      Knowshon's talent is quite easy to see but he still needs a lot of work on his vision as he missed a few cutback lanes and also fumbled while going to the ground. He runs the prettiest routes by a RB I've ever seen. He's already splitting carries on the 1st team with Buckhalter - who had another solid, but unspectacular, practice - although Jordan and Torain were out. With Moreno back, Hillis isn't getting nearly as many reps at HB and is mostly being used at FB and occassionaly split out wide.
                      RB: Moreno looks great. He did all the things I expected him to do well (Catch, block and make guys miss in space). There was a blitz where the safety came through and Moreno nailed and pushed him back. There was not a lot of pressure at all this practice so the protection in general was very good. Buckhalter had a hard time getting a lot of runs up the middle this time. Hillis had a few good plays. They used him on a double screen once and he made some nice moves after the catch. They move him around quite a bit and let him run, catch and block. I think despite depth chart that Hillis will be heavily utilized in this offense.
                      IMO, if Moreno can overcome the usual challenges for rookie RB's (knowing his assignments, ball security, pass protection), I think he'll take over the #1 spot sooner rather than later. Buck's injury history also factors in here. However, Moreno won't ever be "the guy" as McD is definitely going to use of his stable of backs.

I don't pick again until 32 picks later, so theres no chance of him falling that far, or any quality rbs for that matter. So my current plan is to "reach" for 2 quality RBs with picks 16 and 17.
                      I like that end spot in a snake draft, but it does sometimes create some tough decisions.

If your scoring system gives RB's points for receptions / receiving yards, then I like Moreno at 17 - but accepting that your are rolling the dice in terms of how much Buckhalter ends up factoring in. Obviously, if it's a keeper league then that's even better as Moreno's got a whole career ahead of him (however, I suspect this is not the case).

Comment

• I didn't get to watch the game last night, what did you guys think of Brandstater?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                          I didn't get to watch the game last night, what did you guys think of Brandstater?
                          For a guy who really hasn't had a whole lot of opportunity to get reps in training camp, he's come a long way in a short time. He seems like a bright guy and throws a much nicer ball than Orton does. He looked pretty good against the Arizona starting D, but struggled a bit once both teams starting putting in their second stringers. He could've gotten more help from his receivers - in particular, the really nice fade he threw to McKinley that should've been hauled in for a TD.

I like his potential. A late round pick well spent IMO.
                          Last edited by Diehard; 09-04-2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Holliday time in Denver?

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                              Good pick up. Can't say we don't need help there.

I just saw Champ Bailey in a college uniform today and his name is Perrish Cox. It isn't really relevant to this thread, but I mean I just felt like I was literally watching him in college. Identical playing style, identical strengths and physical abilities, I'd even give Perrish a slight edge in the strength department. Champ was more polished in coverage coming out, but Perrish sure played like 24 today against Georgia, ironically Bailey's alma mater.

Name: Perrish Cox
                              College: Oklahoma State Number: 16
                              Height: 6-0 Weight: 198
                              Position: CB Pos2: KR
                              Class/Draft Year: Sr/2010
                              40 Time: 4.44 40 Low: 4.34 40 High: 4.56

I've been blabbing about the guy all day now, and he really really impressed me. He is Oklahoma State's #1 Corner, and he reminds me of a bigger looking, more physical Champ, who plays almost the same way. Same height and weight more or less.

Oh, he can return too. Had a 74 Yard return today. The guy is a blazer, he was really only known for his kick return abilities up until the beginning of last season. Really a burner. Runs in the mid 4.3's, clearly can get up with the best of them, and is a really solid tackler. Form looks exactly like Champ too, goes low, launches his body into the runner's ankles. He broke up 3 passes in the first 12 minutes today too, 2 intented for AJ Green, and then after that, he got no passes thrown to him all game. This isn't really Broncos relevant, I just hope we scout him, because I can tell you right now, if he plays like this again, he will be going first round (maybe second), and I will put money on it. His technique is a little flawed, but then again so is every college CB's, Cox is still a huge asset in coverage. At this point he's better than Mike Jenkins (Cowboys CB, USF) was coming out, (and will be better, obviously) and Perrish has the rest of the season to work on it.

We could always use another Champ, and we could always use another developmental, blazing corner who can return from Oklahoma State.

Sampler platter:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJn1kAbtiHM

^ Kinda runs like Champ when he has the ball in his hand too, that head tilted up, peeking over his shoulder to avoid being blasted by Ben Watson look.
                              Last edited by Jimmy; 09-05-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• In more relevant news, Ashley Lelie is now officially not good enough for 3 of 4 AFC West teams. He was cut by the Chiefs today. Can he make it four?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information