Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1: Detroit Lions @ Oakland Raiders

Thoughts? Predictions?

I see the Lions starting the season off on a good note with a real close victory on the road at Oakland. I'll say 23-20.
    Last edited by P-L; 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM.

I went back and forth in having to pick who I think will win, and eventually went with the home team in Oakland. But either team can definitely win this game, I feel.

I look at the game as: which defensive line will win this game?

The Lions need their front four to lead their defensive charge, in a matchup against a revamped Raiders OL and Josh McCown/Daunte Culpepper starting. On the other side of the ball there's the obvious matchup of Rob Ryan's defense vs. Mike Martz's offense.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Everything in my gut tells me to pick against Detroit. It's a road game. Our defense hasn't looked good in the preseason. Our revamped offensive line vs. Oakland's D-Line, which is their team strength. But looking at the rest of Oakland's line-up, especially their depth-chart on the offensive side of the ball, I just can't pick them. Detroit should win but I think it'll be close, like P-L said.

Detroit 17, Oakland 10
      Cheers to Michigan winters...

Comment

I got the Raiders. Their D is real good. Plus, McCown will be starting against his Former team, even though he never got any real action.. Our former players always play good against us.

Raiders- 27
        Lions- 17

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
          I got the Raiders. Their D is real good. Plus, McCown will be starting against his Former team, even though he never got any real action.. Our former players always play good against us.

Raiders- 27
          Lions- 17
          yea former lions kill current lions... painful. Anyways... I think it's gonna be a flip of a coin but our D may just be good enough to get McCown some monster pressure. Our weakness is defense but they have such a weak offense we may be able to prevent them from doing much. So I'll say lions by the smallest of margins

lions 27 - raiders 24

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I just do not like McCown at all. The guy was our 3rd string QB last year, two spots behind Jon Kitna, who was criticized greatly. He is expected to start for the Raiders. Their offensive line is a big question mark. It was terrible last year, but they got a new coach along with a couple new starters. I just cannot envision the Raiders running the ball at all with their average running backs, below average offensive line, and our dominant defensive tackles. I love the Raiders secondary, but I'm not sure they have enough depth to contain Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Calvin Johnson. While I see us struggling to run the ball, I think we will be more successful then them. I cannot see either team scoring more than two touchdowns, and I think this game will be won with field goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
              I just do not like McCown at all. The guy was our 3rd string QB last year, two spots behind Jon Kitna, who was criticized greatly. He is expected to start for the Raiders. Their offensive line is a big question mark. It was terrible last year, but they got a new coach along with a couple new starters. I just cannot envision the Raiders running the ball at all with their average running backs, below average offensive line, and our dominant defensive tackles. I love the Raiders secondary, but I'm not sure they have enough depth to contain Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Calvin Johnson. While I see us struggling to run the ball, I think we will be more successful then them. I cannot see either team scoring more than two touchdowns, and I think this game will be won with field goals.
              he may have been 3rd string qb, but he was the number 4 reciever on the depth chart :)

Comment

Originally posted by jbombul View Post
                he may have been 3rd string qb, but he was the number 4 reciever on the depth chart :)
                HA! Funny line.

I think our Defense is going to surprise some people this year. No, it wont be "great", but it'll be solid and force some turnovers. If Rogers and Redding are healthy, expect pressure from our front 4. (And, if Sims can stay on the field, I get to giggle every time he smacks someone going 100 mph.) Anyway, Cover 2 defenses usually play much better in the second year, and I expect the same with the Lions this year.

Nothing needs to be said about the offense.

Prediction: 27-14.
                Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

Raiders 26, Lions 17

Kitna - 24/35, 243 yards passing, 2 TD's, 1 INT
                  Bell - 15 carries, 47 yards
                  Duckett - 7 carries, 24 yards
                  Williams - 6 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD
                  C. Johnson - 4 catches, 55 yards
                  Furrey - 8 catches, 88 yards, 1 TD
                  Defense - 0 sacks, 0 takeaways, 100 penalties
                  R.I.P. L.E.F.
                  "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

It'll be an interesting game because I'll be looking for a few things. Our Offense vs. their defense and their offense vs. our defense.

Nothing needs to be said about our offense (although we still don't know if they can run the ball effectively), and Oakland has a championship caliber defense. Mike Martz can trot out the 3WR set, but the Raiders are of the few teams that won't be afraid to defend that as they have one of the best corner tandems in the league.

We probably have the worst secondary in the league, but Oakland has among the worst group of receivers as well. Something's gotta give on these fronts. If we can win in the trenches, we will win the game.

My prediction: Lions win a close one, 17-13

Comment

If we cannot beat Oakland on the road, it will be a very long season. Oakland still has a mediocre offense and an overrated defense. You have to remember that teams who play losers hardly have much emotion for that game and a defense and an offense can appear to be better than they are.
                      I think we are better team than Oakland and eek out a win at 24-20 but I won't be shocked if we lose.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                        If we cannot beat Oakland on the road, it will be a very long season. Oakland still has a mediocre offense and an overrated defense. You have to remember that teams who play losers hardly have much emotion for that game and a defense and an offense can appear to be better than they are.
                        I think we are better team than Oakland and eek out a win at 24-20 but I won't be shocked if we lose.
                        I would've been shocked if you hadn't said that.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Lions win 24 - 10.....

Comment

Originally posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
                            Lions win 24 - 10.....
                            even 'Boys fans believe we can beat the raiders. (god I hope we actually do)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                              I would've been shocked if you hadn't said that.
                              HA! Word for word...
                              Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information