Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Lions should trade for Jason Taylor. (Written and illustrated by TL.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Lions should trade for Jason Taylor. (Written and illustrated by TL.)

There have been rumors lately that Jason Taylor (yes... THE Jason Taylor... 2006 DPOY) is on the trading block. Many wonder why the Fins would look to trade him, but it actually makes sense: the team isn’t contending and Taylor isn’t getting younger. His stock will never be higher than it is now, which makes it the perfect time to acquire a 1st round pick and focus on the future.

Enter; Lions. Although the Fins aren’t in a position to compete, the Lions may be. An average record can get you to the playoffs in the NFC (especially the NFC North), and an incredible Defensive Line in a Cover 2 can be just the thing to turn a defense from average to outstanding.

The price? A 1st round draft pick. Sure, it sounds like a lot (as first round picks are seen as a “pot of gold” - Goodell), but what would our focus be with that pick next year? S? Interesting. A healthy Bullocks and emerging Alexander would help solidify the S position, which leaves DE as one of our biggest positions of need. A player of Jason Taylor’s caliber would satisfy that need nicely.

The result? Kalimba Edwards, who is having a solid season, would be used as a back-up, a role he should be filling anyway. Taylor offers more all-around play than Edwards does, which would help the defense as a whole. Passing down? Edwards. Tired? Edwards. Back-up? Edwards.

I know, I know… why give up a first round pick? Taylor is getting older, so why not spend the pick on a young stud? We spent a 2nd round pick on IAF, a raw but promising player. Taylor has at LEAST 3 years of solid production left, which would be just enough time for Marinelli to build IAF into the stud he imagined he’d be. What better a person to learn from than Taylor, anyway? A perfect transition…

Closing: this move would give us an elite starting DLine group with great depth… something the Lions need to compete against the great NFL teams. White-Rogers-Redding-Taylor? WRRT?! Pressure is paramount in a Cover 2 defense, and these 4 players will give us just that… pressure and big plays.

Do it, Millen, do it…

(Note: I’ll make an illustration for this later…)
    Left NFLDC: 20080918.

I honestly think we could get him for a 2nd round pick....but Safety isn't the only need....I still think MLB & SLB are needs...as well as CB....

Comment

Interesting idea, but I would only consider it for a second rounder and then I'm still not sold on the idea.

I don't think we are close to enough to mortage the future. I want a stud CB, MLB, or DE in round 1. If its a DE stick him into the rotation with Edwards and White. Rookie gets playing time while White and Edwards stay fresh. Also we are forgetting about IAF who I'm sure Marinelli has big plans for.

PS. If we are in position for Long I think we should take him. Foster is upgradeable and Backus is well Backus.

Comment

Ha. I'm hoping that Backus can perform better with an improved supporting cast (what he has this year). Foster looks... well... OK... but, as you said, definitely upgradable.

With the pick invested in IAF, I think it would be worth it to grab Taylor. Instant playmaker and a model for IAF to emulate.

And... I'd do it for a 1st. I'd rather do it for a 2nd, but, if they'd only do it for a 1st, I'd do it.

Note: the MLB situation needs work, as does CB, but I think our SLB position COULD be solidified with Lewis. They keep playing Bailey over him, but I think he'll break out with playing time.

Isn't Quarles still a FA? Sure, he's old, but knows the system and would be an outstanding stopgap.

Comment

Also it just doesn't make sense when both our starting DEs are playing so well. Its just such a win now move that it doesn't make sense for us. Hell if we are 5-0 and the trading deadline is week six. Make the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
            Also it just doesn't make sense when both our starting DEs are playing so well. Its just such a win now move that it doesn't make sense for us. Hell if we are 5-0 and the trading deadline is week six. Make the deal.
            I don't agree with that perspective, though (bold). What if getting him pushes us to a 5-0 record? Isn't it worth it?

As good as Edwards has been, Jason Taylor is a huge upgrade at the position. And, no offense to Cory Smith (who has played well in limited time), but Kalimba Edwards off the bench is just crazy. Would be an incredible DE group.

Comment

I don't think the Lions are good enough at this point to make a win now trade. Sure we are 2-0 but weve beaten 2 teams who arent very good. Maybe this trade would push us up to a wild card team but I really dont think giving up a 1st rounder (2nd maybe) is worth it to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerv View Post
                I don't think the Lions are good enough at this point to make a win now trade. Sure we are 2-0 but weve beaten 2 teams who arent very good. Maybe this trade would push us up to a wild card team but I really dont think giving up a 1st rounder (2nd maybe) is worth it to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.
                WHAT?! Wait... you've said that this trade might get us a wild card (the playoffs), but it isn't worth it to lose in the first round?

Huh?!

If this trade got us to a wild card, it's completely worth it. Wild card? Playoffs? That isn't worth it?

Anything can happen in the playoffs. We could pull off an upset and advance... the other team's QB could get injured (Bengals)... anything can happen.

If we could get to the playoffs, it's worth it.

Comment

Even though the Dolphins aren't very good, I'd rather live in Miami and play for a mediocre team than be traded to Detroit and play for a mediocre team.

In other words, I doubt he'd sign off on it.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

yeah i would not trade a 1st rounder for him..a 2nd rounder yes not a 1st

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      Even though the Dolphins aren't very good, I'd rather live in Miami and play for a mediocre team than be traded to Detroit and play for a mediocre team.

Well we are 2-0, so (right now) we're not all that mediocre. But I think Taylor has the attitude and the proffesionlism to play here as well as in Miami.

BUT! I'd rather trade up for a young supertalen than for a (soon to be) declining veteran)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

He's a great player.. but I wouldn't trade for him unless I felt my team was in a 2-3 year run of contending for the Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD
                          He's a great player.. but I wouldn't trade for him unless I felt my team was in a 2-3 year run of contending for the Super Bowl.
                          Looking at the start we've had as a team, and thinking about the impact he could have with us, couldn't we make the playoffs in our division? He immediately elevates our defense from average to strong... and, after another offseason, the team will just improve for next year.

I guess I think a player like him can do that for us.

Originally posted by Addict
                          BUT! I'd rather trade up for a young supertalen than for a (soon to be) declining veteran)
                          But where does that leave IAF? He's raw but has the tools to be dominant... why not grab someone whose at his peak now and bring IAF along to replace him?

Originally posted by bearsfan_51

Not everyone looks at it that way. If he thinks he has a bigger shot to give one final push with Detroit, a team on the rise, than with Miami, a rebuilding team, that would seem like the decision to make.

Comment

No, the lions are in no position to trade their first (which still has a great chance of being a top 15 pick) for an aging veteran. Yes taylor is a great player and i would love him on this team but not at the cost of our first rounder. Our team still has a lot of building to do especially on defense and making that trade is not the right move to make.

Comment

Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
                              No, the lions are in no position to trade their first (which still has a great chance of being a top 15 pick) for an aging veteran. Yes taylor is a great player and i would love him on this team but not at the cost of our first rounder. Our team still has a lot of building to do especially on defense and making that trade is not the right move to make.
                              If your perspective is that we're far from contending, than you're right and we shouldn't even think of getting rid of any pick, especially our 1st rounder. But, I see things differently.

Many can agree that our offense is incredible and (if Kitna remains healthy) will stay that way. The concern? Our defense. As we all know, we run a Cover 2. And, as we also know, it relies on pressure from our front 4 to be successful. Pressure creates hurries, sacks and bad decisions... which leads to turnovers. Adding an elite player like Taylor leaves us with a completely dominant "pressure" DLine (especially considering that our rotating DE is a pure pass-rusher)... something that would elevate our defense from average/below-average to strong.

Just ask yourself this question: if we had a solid/great defense, could we be considered a legitimate contender? If your answer is yes, trading for Taylor could give us just that.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information