Detroit Pistons Discussion ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
    Banking on both Favors AND Cousins in that lineup? You mean Charlie in one of those spots right?

As for Izzo staying in Michigan... I don't think its a slam dunk. People tie too much up into coaches/players "love for the area." In the long run I think everyone has their price. I don't see how Oregon (his latest rumor) is a better job than MSU so I dont think he would fly off there...unless they made promises that MSU couldn't.

And of course there is the NBA. Can anyone tell me the last college coach who had NBA success? Izzo can motivate kids, he can think through the game, and he can get a lot of out of his guys but the pros is different. You have to deal with prima donnas, attitudes, egos, guys who are playing for their next contract. Its not a slam dunk that he will be successful.
    Yes i meant villanueva in for favors.

But your point is half the reason this is the ideal time to bring Izzo in. there's little doubt he is a great coach. Yes he has always dealt with kids but the future of this team happens to be falling on kids such as stuckey, jerbko, and our pick this year.

We need to rebuild, I don't see any chance we win anything important in the next year or two. Id rather see Izzo come in and develop these kids and turn this team into a contender again. Im very confident he is going to be able to earn respect of any guy on our roster (minus rip but thats why rip needs to be shipped out becasue he's proved noone can other than LB).

Comment

Izzo is a developer of men as much as he is a coach of a great college program. I feel he has such an amazing thing going on at MSU (he could name his price & Hollis has already said he would likely pay it) why leave? The NBA flirtation has gone back years with him, I think it was rumored he was taking the Bulls job a few years back, the Pistons thing has been out there since Larry Brown left ... I just don't see it. His hard nose style of coaching/mentoring along with defense first & rebounding mentality fit at a college programs NOT the NBA. The NBA is a no defense league ... that would drive him to insanity!! He would fly the coup for another elite college gig before the NBA I feel. Most likely he is a Dean Smith, Bobby Knight or John Wooden who coaches his whole career in college basketball. Good for MSU, go Green!!

Oh yeah, I vote for Cousins too, an instant double double at the 5 ...

Larry Brown made a pretty nice transition from college to NBA. THere are very few ...

Comment

The move/moves that hurt the Pistons was last off season when you threw out massive contracts to Charlie, and Ben Gordon. Charlie is to mediocre, and there should be no reason ever to shell out 11M to a sixth man.

Now your stuck this upcoming season because you ate all your cap up in a very deep UFA class this offseason.

Comment

This is laughably one of the worst picks the Pistons could make with #7:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...s-Cole-Aldrich

Comment

I would punch Joe Dumars 90 times in the trachea if he picked Cole Aldrich.

Comment

hope one of the bigs falls, maybe monroe, or take bledsoe, paul george, xavier henry, or hassan whiteside.
              SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
              Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

we must move up or pray cousins weight gets him to fall. His attitude wont scare me if he's playing with Big Ben. Ben will hold him in line.

Also supposedly 76ers are offering up their 2 if the right deal comes along and the team is willing to take Brand.

I'd deal tay max and either 7 or possibly even a future 1st instead for #2 and brand.

Allows us to take Turner or Favors

Comment

Shaq for the MLE? hahah. Who are some MLE options?

Comment

Depends on the draft. I'd like felton and move stuckey to SG.

I'd also like Brendan Haywood as a pretty solid big man.

Darkhorse could be bringing back Amir Johnson but i doubt it.

Comment

If we got #2 without giving up #7, I'd be all for going super athletic in the draft. Draft Derrick Favors #2, and then Paul George #7!

I doubt Dumars will ever give up on Rodney Stuckey.. and he'll probably get signed to some ridiculous extension in a few months. I'm hoping we can bring back Will Bynum. I don't think a half court style offense best suits Rodney Stuckey, so I'd like to see us switch to a more uptempo style.

I'd be comfortable with a nice young starting lineup, uptempo mind you, with:

PG Will Bynum
                      SG Rodney Stuckey
                      SF Paul George
                      PF Jonas Jerebko
                      C Derrick Favors

Problem is, we'd have Brand, Rip, Gordon, and Villanueva under contract for the next 50 years.. and then there's Maxiell and Austin Daye. Blah.

This would never happen, but I like to get my hopes up every once in a while.. beats just thinking about the current team we have now.

Comment

i wish they would have just tanked.
                        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

im still confident rip can be moved for an expiring.

Brand we'll have to take on

and Gordon and CV still have futures and would be solid contributors IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                            completely agree

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                              If only we lost that last game against Minnesota.. Down by 20 and they decided to come back and freakin win. Blah.

Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
                              im still confident rip can be moved for an expiring.

Brand we'll have to take on

and Gordon and CV still have futures and would be solid contributors IMO
                              Who wants to give up a $12 Million expiring contract? Not to mention he's 32 and that contract goes on for 3 more years. At best I could see us getting a smaller expiring contract ($4-$6 Million) and then taking another overpaid player. I'll use Toronto as an example: Jose Calderon ($9 Million in 2010, owed nearly $30 Million over the next 3 years) and Marcus Banks ($4.7 Million expiring) for Rip works out.

Random thought: Maybe New Orleans would give us James Posey and Mo Pete for Rip?

As far as Ben Gordon and Villanueva go.. meh. I don't mind Ben Gordon, but the signing was unnecessary. We signed a 6th Man to a $10 Million per year contract when we lack a difference maker at the PF and Center spots. Villanueva was just a horrible signing. He's done nothing since scoring 48 Points as a Rookie. I doubt any other team was gonna offer him anything close to what Dumars did.

Comment

Originally posted by WMD View Post
                                If only we lost that last game against Minnesota.. Down by 20 and they decided to come back and freakin win. Blah.

Who wants to give up a $12 Million expiring contract? Not to mention he's 32 and that contract goes on for 3 more years. At best I could see us getting a smaller expiring contract ($4-$6 Million) and then taking another overpaid player. I'll use Toronto as an example: Jose Calderon ($9 Million in 2010, owed nearly $30 Million over the next 3 years) and Marcus Banks ($4.7 Million expiring) for Rip works out.

Random thought: Maybe New Orleans would give us James Posey and Mo Pete for Rip?

As far as Ben Gordon and Villanueva go.. meh. I don't mind Ben Gordon, but the signing was unnecessary. We signed a 6th Man to a $10 Million per year contract when we lack a difference maker at the PF and Center spots. Villanueva was just a horrible signing. He's done nothing since scoring 48 Points as a Rookie. I doubt any other team was gonna offer him anything close to what Dumars did.
                                Totally agree. I thought at the time they were awful signings and nothing has changed my mind. Dumars spent because he had the money to spend and didnt want to go into the season a kajillion dollars under the cap when he could have bought some starters. Problem is the money wasn't well spent.

Stupid, stupid!!

He should have just saved the cash, brought the team well within budget, and spend the money when good players are available.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information