Shaun Rogers- Jonathon Vilma Swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaun Rogers- Jonathon Vilma Swap

I think this makes a lot of sense for both teams.

The Lions desperately need an MLB and have talked to the Jets about Vilma's availability for the last year now. Also Vilma wants out of NY because he is far less effective in mangini's 3-4 defense. He would be a stud/god in detroit alongside Ernie Sims, and would give the Lions a very good young LB corps.

The Jets don't have a true 3-4 NT and Dewayne Robertson has been playing out of position his whole career. Shaun is big enough and with a change of scenery should be motivated enough to be his dominant self and help shore up a porous run defense.

Neither of these players wants to be where they are and both of these teams ahould be very interested in what the other teams player has to offer. There would probably be picks involved but this would be the headliner.

Thoughts?

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

It makes some sense, depending on what else is there. I just question whether or not Mangini would want the off and on motor of Shaun Rogers. My guess is that Vilma might warrant a tad more value than Rogers for a variety of reasons, so maybe the Lions would have to toss in a pick to make it happen. THat said, I can't imagine the pick being anymore than a 3rd rounder, and it might be a 4th rounder or a future pick.

Comment

It would be a dream come true. I remember suggesting this last offseason too.
      R.I.P. L.E.F.
      "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

I would love this. Rogers is a beast, yet at the same time the Lions are still looking pretty after the trade with a young star, so for both teams it works.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

The Jets could probably afford to do this with Hobson and Harris in the middle, even after dealing Vilma.

That said, this is the Lions we're talking here, so nothing is ever gonna work out in our favor.
          R.I.P. L.E.F.
          "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Well the Jets have Barton and Harris in the middle, which is working nicely. Hobson plays OLB with Thomas. Really the Jets need a NT and a pass rushing OLB for their defense to be good. They lack the 2 most important positions in a 3-4
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Vilma has a lingering knee injury/situation... I don't want to give up anything to get him unless it's fixed. Considering it has been a concern since the draft, it would be hard to convince me that it's gone now.
              Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                Well the Jets have Barton and Harris in the middle, which is working nicely. Hobson plays OLB with Thomas. Really the Jets need a NT and a pass rushing OLB for their defense to be good. They lack the 2 most important positions in a 3-4
                s rogers
                kalimba
                some draft pick

for

robertson
                vilma

edwards is best suited to be a rushing LB for a 3-4 team and jets get there NT.

Robertson has no place after this trade and we could use a new DT and Vilma.

Comment

Detroit would have to come up with a lot more than just Rogers provided Vilma is healthy. Rogers isn't in great demand in the NFL. He's viewed as a problem child who tends to get overweight and cannot play a whole game because of his conditioning. Those kind of players don't bring a lot in return.
                  Again if Vilma is healthy which I'm not knowledgable about, Detroit would have to ante up at least a second to go along with Rogers. Just because some of us think he's still a force doesn't mean the rest of the NFL views him that way.
                  I think the best we will get for Rogers is a 3rd rounder. Detroit players simply aren't in demand in the NFL. Besides Millen could only get Foster and Bell for Bly who was an All Pro, some team will pick his pockets again because he hasn't a clue how to judge talent.
                  And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                    Detroit would have to come up with a lot more than just Rogers provided Vilma is healthy. Rogers isn't in great demand in the NFL. He's viewed as a problem child who tends to get overweight and cannot play a whole game because of his conditioning. Those kind of players don't bring a lot in return.
                    Again if Vilma is healthy which I'm not knowledgable about, Detroit would have to ante up at least a second to go along with Rogers. Just because some of us think he's still a force doesn't mean the rest of the NFL views him that way.
                    I think the best we will get for Rogers is a 3rd rounder. Detroit players simply aren't in demand in the NFL. Besides Millen could only get Foster and Bell for Bly who was an All Pro, some team will pick his pockets again because he hasn't a clue how to judge talent.
                    i disagree everyone around the league knows what rogers is capable of doing. He was very dominating in the beggining of the season. He is easily the best DT in the game when healthy and when is shape.

If we are unable to get good value for Rogers i hope we keep him. He had knee problems over the off season and was unable to condition becuase he was rehabbing. I dont understand why he is still in such terrible shape but it was known he would have knee problems all year which would mean he would not be able to get into greta shape. I would have no problem having him on this team next year and give him the off season to get his knee healthy and give him a chance to show some dedication once he gets healthy.

Comment

Do it. Slip IAF inside. Draft Derrick Harvey or Calais Campbell.

Comment

No way......He blew his knee out, so I doubt he even plays next year. Even when he comes back can you guarantee that he will return to his pre-injury form?????

Comment

That would a be a great deal. Rogers isn't even playing half of a game, cuz he is so out of shape. He goes to the side line almost every other play. Vilma is a beast he would be great in Detroit. Vilma and Sims together is a great start at LB.

props to jkpigskin for the sweet Antonio Cromartie Sig

Comment

Pre-Injury Vilma: hotter than hell, damn yes I'll take that trade!
                            Current Vilma: not so sure...

Then again, if he manages to keep his weight under 300 lbs. he'l have achieved more than Rogers did.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                              Pre-Injury Vilma: hotter than hell, damn yes I'll take that trade!
                              Current Vilma: not so sure...

Then again, if he manages to keep his weight under 300 lbs. he'l have achieved more than Rogers did.
                              I agree 100%. I would take the shot with Vilma, because I know that he will be more effective than Rogers.

props to jkpigskin for the sweet Antonio Cromartie Sig

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information