Staying or Going: Lions Offseason Roster Moves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying or Going: Lions Offseason Roster Moves

Here is a good article from Tom Kowalski that breaks down who is likely to return, and who is likely to be gone for next season:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...should_be.html

Some notable points:

Defensive backs
    Staying: Travis Fisher, Gerald Alexander, Daniel Bullocks and Idrees Bashir
    Leaving: Fernando Bryant, Keith Smith, Stanley Wilson and Kenoy Kennedy
    On the bubble: Dovonte Edwards, Greg Blue and Ramzee Robinson
    Summary: Fisher and Smith both are free agents and the Lions want them both back, but Fisher is more likely to re-sign because he has a larger role in the defense. Fisher will be the team's nickel back, which means they're still looking for two new starters -- I don't expect last year's starters, Fernando Bryant and Stanley Wilson, to return. The Lions will address this position heavily in the draft, especially in the first three rounds. Because they're so thin, don't be surprised to see the Lions draft two or three cornerbacks overall.
    With Alexander and Bullocks, who will be returning from injured reserve, starting at safety, Kennedy -- because he isn't strong on special teams -- isn't a viable candidate for a backup spot.
    With Lenon expected to be moved to the strong side, the Lions have to find a quality middle backer who has the speed to get downfield but the power to blast running backs in the short passing game. That's a position the Lions could address with their first-round draft pick (No. 15 overall).
    I believe [Roy] Williams is going to be used as trade bait leading up to the draft because he'll likely bolt when he becomes a free agent in 2009.
    Discuss . . .
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

Somewhat surprised to see both Wilson and Smith go. Bryant and Kennedy have been disappointing since they first arrived here though, so that's not the end of the world.

They better keep Greg Blue as well.
    Cheers to Michigan winters...

Comment

I am surprised at well. I wish we would have atleast kept one. Because, come on, filling TWO starter spots at a position that was already weak for us? This sucks.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

I actually think Lenon could be serviceable at SLB, or at least better than Boss Bailey.

Comment

They have said that he can play that position better.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

moving lenon to SLB is smart because there is no way we fill 2 LB spots this off season.
            I hope they bring smith back but one way or the other i think we'll be looking for 2 cbs who can start.

Comment

I REALLY don't like having to fill 2 spots at CB.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

if bryant retires idk what our other choices would be. Fisher would be a terrible starter and same goes for wilson and smith IMO. They could work if we needed it too but if we can get a FA cb and draft one in day one then it could work out

Comment

I think it would be a mistake to cut Kennedy. Bullocks and Alexander are the future, of course, but Kennedy didn't play bad this year, and we could still use him around. It'd be nice to have the insurance he provides until we know Bullocks is healthy and effective.
                  R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Based on this, I would then say that our needs are as follows:

1) CB
                    2) MLB
                    3) OT
                    4) Another CB
                    5) DE
                    R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Now that Justin King declared I'd like to look at him in the 2nd - 3rd.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                        Based on this, I would then say that our needs are as follows:

1) CB
                        2) MLB
                        3) OT
                        4) Another CB
                        5) DE
                        why do u have DE so low?

Comment

Technically it is only 4th, haha.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

I can see Kennedy getting moved on draft day for a second day pick. It's a common occurrence during the draft with players like him. Or maybe a trade up later in the draft.

These plans are certainly interesting. I've never heard anyone say anything about Lenon to SLB. It's going to be interesting where we find our MLB. I'm not that high on Connor and who knows if he's going to be around with our 15th pick. Free agency holds little options for MLB. There are some possible trade options but I'm just really wish I knew who they were going to target. I mean they have already slated Lenon to SLB so who do they have in mind?

Comment

I don't think Wilson or Smith are starting corners in this league, and we really need to upgrade both of the starting corner spots, if Bryant does retire. I guess we could sign Trufant and get another corner with experience such as a Brian Kelly.

Contrary to many beliefs, I don't know how Lenon will do at SLB. You need to have some speed in this defense, regardless of any LB position you play and thats why I think he will struggle. He is a backup at best.

Looking at MLB, I don't know if there's any good FAs who are available and I pray to god they don't trade for Vilma. So, Our best bet may be to take Dan Connor.

Last but not least, we should keep Roy. If they wanna get rid of someone, get rid of either Furrey or Mcdonald. Who knows how effective they're gonna be without Martz???

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information