Question about drafting Willis...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about drafting Willis...

I've heard some posters say that drafting Willis at #5 is "too high", but drafting him at 7 or later is acceptable. If the coaching staff wants Willis more than any other player on the board, and we trade down with the Cards, that leaves us with higher picks in rounds 2 and 3 than trading down do 7 or 10... which I think is worth it.

I'd much rather them take the player they want and have higher additional picks than have lower additional picks.

Does this make sense?
    Left NFLDC: 20080918.

All that i know is that Millen really likes Willis, as do I, and number 2 is too high for him to go, but if we trade down to number 5, i believe it will still be a bit of a reach, but we reached for Sims a little bit last year too, but that turned out good. I would love to get him at number five. Him, Quinn, or Johnson..

Comment

Originally posted by Notredameleo View Post
      All that i know is that Millen really likes Willis, as do I, and number 2 is too high for him to go, but if we trade down to number 5, i believe it will still be a bit of a reach, but we reached for Sims a little bit last year too, but that turned out good. I would love to get him at number five. Him, Quinn, or Johnson..
      Yep. They wanted Sims... and they took Sims.

Now, they want Willis. Please take him.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
        Yep. They wanted Sims... and they took Sims.

Now, they want Willis. Please take him.
        I like the way you think. I have been in love with him this whole time.

Comment

I love Patrick Willis.. I think he's the next Ray Lewis.. Wouldn't take him at 2.. I wouldn't be so hot on taking him at 5.. But who says you can't trade down more than once?

Comment

yes it would be a reach, but who really cares. donte whitner was a reach but was it really that bad? and who knows maybe we could trade down twice or something. if its who the lions want, then yes take him and do not worry about if they are picking at #2 or #5. i dont get why willis isnt considered i higher pick anyways, he seems like a perfect MLB without many weaknesses. he should be better than demeco ryans who won DROY i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
              I love Patrick Willis.. I think he's the next Ray Lewis.. Wouldn't take him at 2.. I wouldn't be so hot on taking him at 5.. But who says you can't trade down more than once?
              I agree about the "Ray Lewis" comment... which makes me think that he's definately worth taking at #5. If we can get additional picks out of the trade, no pick is too high for a player like him. He will DOMINATE. I want him dominating for us.

Comment

Originally posted by lionsfan81 View Post
                yes it would be a reach, but who really cares. donte whitner was a reach but was it really that bad? and who knows maybe we could trade down twice or something. if its who the lions want, then yes take him and do not worry about if they are picking at #2 or #5. i dont get why willis isnt considered i higher pick anyways, he seems like a perfect MLB without many weaknesses. he should be better than demeco ryans who won DROY i think.
                Willis is a solid pro prospect but he has a major weakness, namely right now he is only a 2 down LB because he has never learned to backpedal into pass coverage. LB's in today's game have to be good not only as a tackler, they must be effective in pass coverage and Willis isn't. A GM will have to analysis Willis during the interview process to see if he has the intellegence to learn how to become good in pass protection. While people might think this is easy for somebody to learn, the fact is that it is extremely difficult to teach this skill to a LB and many, many LB have failed in their attempt.
                We will have to depend on Millen's ability to rate his character and intellegence to make such a decision and by now we all know Millen cannot see into a player's character and intellegence in the interview process that's why he drafted Rogers, M. Williams and Harrington.
                Because Willis's inability to handle passing situations, he has been generally thought to be in the 20-32 range in the draft. Maybe he has moved up into the 12 to 20 range but that is not yet known. Taking a player with a major weakness at #5 is plain stupid, so we are talking about trading down twice and IMO, it just isn't going to occur and is just wishful thinking with no substance.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  Willis is a solid pro prospect but he has a major weakness, namely right now he is only a 2 down LB because he has never learned to backpedal into pass coverage. LB's in today's game have to be good not only as a tackler, they must be effective in pass coverage and Willis isn't. A GM will have to analysis Willis during the interview process to see if he has the intellegence to learn how to become good in pass protection. While people might think this is easy for somebody to learn, the fact is that it is extremely difficult to teach this skill to a LB and many, many LB have failed in their attempt.
                  We will have to depend on Millen's ability to rate his character and intellegence to make such a decision and by now we all know Millen cannot see into a player's character and intellegence in the interview process that's why he drafted Rogers, M. Williams and Harrington.
                  Because Willis's inability to handle passing situations, he has been generally thought to be in the 20-32 range in the draft. Maybe he has moved up into the 12 to 20 range but that is not yet known. Taking a player with a major weakness at #5 is plain stupid, so we are talking about trading down twice and IMO, it just isn't going to occur and is just wishful thinking with no substance.
                  Scott Wright seems to think that PWillis "moves well and is adequate in coverage". He was also said to be one of the best LBs in coverage during the Senior Bowl. So, if he's an outstanding tackler, a great blitzer, has great instincts, is tough and the leader of his team... but is ONLY "adequate in coverage"... i'll take him at #5 anyday.

You list CRog, MWilliams and Harrington... but leave out SRogers, CRedding, RWilliams, DBullocks, JBackus, DRaiola, ESims, KJones... and I can keep going. These are players that were drafted by Millen... but you ignore this. You look at the failures. Harrington couldn't succeed without an OLine and a team that didnt want to win, and CRog suffered the collarbone injuries and sustained the suspension for drug use. The ONLY one you have a case for is MWilliams, and he's still on the roster.

Canadian... stop posting these unreasonably negative posts that bash the Lions, Millen and our draft prospects. You're one of those "fans" that wants the Lions to fail so you can sit back and say "I told you so". Get over it. Be a real fan and give a reasonable perspective, or dont post.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                    yes millen has failed, but i know millen never interviewed m. williams and im 90% sure he never interviewed harrington too. i know teams dont interview players all the time, the broncos didn't interview jay cutler. Millen has had quite a few successes too, as tactalion stated. Yes millen has missed more than he has succeeded at drafting but i think one of the key additions is marinelli. Marinelli knows how to evaluate college players, by interviewing and finding out what their character is and by watching film, so that way he knows he is not getting a workout warrior. He got us ernie sims and daniel bullocks and with him helping millen, i trust millen much more with this draft. If Marinelli wants Thomas or if Marinelli wants Willis, i want who marinelli wants.

Comment

You try and list all the players that he has done well in draft but there is a big difference. Charles Rogers.... Mike Williams... Joey Harrington. Those guys were all hailed as GREAT players, can't miss players..... and they completely missed. Millen is 1 for 4 in the past 4 years with his top draft choices. That is what he is judged on and it is fair.

Charles Rogers is on his way out if not totally out for his own damn fault. He slacked off, got injured (yeah, freak injuries) but the drugs were bad and he reportedly ran around a 4.7 for the Chiefs. Friggin' horrible.

Harrington was only bad because of the OL and the team around him? Come on... we tried to give him weapons but he himself was just not great. He was shown to be a product of his system in college.

BMW.... well, I think he should get playing time and they stop being so anal about his playing weight. Like he said, they knew he was that big before they drafted him and he was always that big. Thier fault. Millen's mess up.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

And as far as Wills, I don't want to touch him at #2.... probably not at #5 but if we fall further... go for it.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Please don't tell me you'd actually spend a second overall pick on a linebacker who bench pressed a (position-wise) pathetic 22 times?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

People look too much into the combine, the only thing that matters at the comabine is the position drills, which he excelled in, and maybe the forty time, which was 4.47. I wouldn't touch him at number two either, but maybe at number five.

Comment

I dont care how many times he bench presses anything, he had 137 tackles last year and 122 the year before, to go with 6 sacks and 20 TFL. He's a leader and would be a fantastic addition to our team, im all in favor of drafting him wherever we have to.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information