Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Williams: "I want to be right here."

Originally posted by FreeP
    Are you looking to stay with the Lions long term?

"It goes back to when I am drafted. I think I am the type of player that I feel I can change a franchise around. And it was the same thing I said when I first got drafted here. Iím a good player; Iíve also been at good programs. And I just felt I was a piece of the puzzle that could turn this thing around. And now weíre adding more pieces to the puzzle. Just because I talk about Texas and the Longhorns doesnít mean I want to go back home. This is my job; I love football I donít care where I play. Right now it is here in Detroit. And all I want to do is make plays and help the team win. I think the fans, I think the players I think the coaches misunderstand me. A lot of fans donít like my first down sign, but I donít do it for the fans, I do it for my teammates. Dang it lets start playing."

On wanting to be traded:

ďNo, I want to be right here. I feel that I can groom Calvin because Iím going to put a lot of pressure on him to be the No. 1 guy. I always say that he can be the No. 1 guy, but Iím not just going to sit there and be like ĎHere, youíre the No. 1 guy now.í Heís going to have to come and show up and compete every day and help this team win and become that No. 1 guy.Ē
    That was right from Roy... and it seems like he wants to stay in Detroit.

That's good to know. If he wants to be here, it'll be great to have him. It'll also help out Stanton, if he takes over.

I just hope he doesn't try to leave after next year.
    Left NFLDC: 20080918.

The line has already been drawn in the sand. He's stated his wishes. This is a way to get his teammates off his back.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      The line has already been drawn in the sand. He's stated his wishes. This is a way to get his teammates off his back.
      Wow... god forbid a player actually means what he says.

I have a hard time believing that he said all of that just to "get his teammates off his back". If he really wanted to leave, why would he care if his teammates disagreed? Football is a business... and I'd imagine that Roy knows that. And, wouldn't it be worse for him (from his teammates' perspective) to now push for a trade? It would be known that he lied about this.

Nice "fan" analysis... but it doesn't add up.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
        Wow... god forbid a player actually means what he says.

I have a hard time believing that he said all of that just to "get his teammates off his back". If he really wanted to leave, why would he care if his teammates disagreed? Football is a business... and I'd imagine that Roy knows that. And, wouldn't it be worse for him (from his teammates' perspective) to now push for a trade? It would be known that he lied about this.

Nice "fan" analysis... but it doesn't add up.
        Yeah, he'd care. Why wouldn't he? I bet as soon as he said he wanted out, he had a ton of difficult phone conversations with the rest of the guys on the team. This is just a way to avoid any animosity against him in anyway from his current teammates. It'd be hard to go workout or hang out with the guys if they know he's just itching to leave.

Look at what he's saying. Read between the lines. He is already hinting to the fact that he knows he won't be the #1 receiver on the team in the near future. He saw what the Lions did in selecting CJ with the #2 pick and understands CJ is the direction the team wants to go with to be their top WR. You don't spend the #2 pick on a #2 WR. He wants to be the top guy himself and he'll find a place where he can be that. The fact that he's willing to groom CJ and talk about giving up the #1 spot, to me, only shows that he's willing do what he can before he moves on.

You're right in that it's probably not smart for him to push a trade now. And I don't think he's pushing for a trade. Cause that could mean he could be traded to any team the Lions wanted to deal him to and he's probably more comfortable in Detroit than some other team that he had no say in choosing. He has no leverage or say in where he'd go. But see... he's already made his intentions known to the Lions front office. He's putting the onus on them to make a move. That way he doesn't look like the bad guy for wanting out, but still will force the Lions to do something with him if they wish to not lose him for nothing.

Cause, see.... come the end of the season when his contract is up, he'll get to choose where he wants to go or force the Lions to franchise him, which I'm sure he'd love either way.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
          That was right from Roy... and it seems like he wants to stay in Detroit.

That's good to know. If he wants to be here, it'll be great to have him. It'll also help out Stanton, if he takes over.

I just hope he doesn't try to leave after next year.
          Huh? This contradicts our book. We are never going to sell any copies now if you want Roy to stay too.

I say sign him this offseason.

Comment

He said this awhile ago.... this was said way before we all went nuts about trade scenarios involving him.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Yeah, he'd care. Why wouldn't he? I bet as soon as he said he wanted out, he had a ton of difficult phone conversations with the rest of the guys on the team. This is just a way to avoid any animosity against him in anyway from his current teammates. It'd be hard to go workout or hang out with the guys if they know he's just itching to leave.

Look at what he's saying. Read between the lines. He is already hinting to the fact that he knows he won't be the #1 receiver on the team in the near future. He saw what the Lions did in selecting CJ with the #2 pick and understands CJ is the direction the team wants to go with to be their top WR. You don't spend the #2 pick on a #2 WR. He wants to be the top guy himself and he'll find a place where he can be that. The fact that he's willing to groom CJ and talk about giving up the #1 spot, to me, only shows that he's willing do what he can before he moves on.

Why would he care if he isn't the number 1 as long as he gets a good contract. Does Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison care. Does TJ Housh care. As long as he gets a nice sized contract and the Lions are contending/playing in meaningful games like they were in the first half of the season/early second half, he can be happy in Detroit. Maybe he wants to see the Lions grow and be successful. He's put alot of hard work in for them.

You're right in that it's probably not smart for him to push a trade now. And I don't think he's pushing for a trade. Cause that could mean he could be traded to any team the Lions wanted to deal him to and he's probably more comfortable in Detroit than some other team that he had no say in choosing. He has no leverage or say in where he'd go. But see... he's already made his intentions known to the Lions front office. He's putting the onus on them to make a move. That way he doesn't look like the bad guy for wanting out, but still will force the Lions to do something with him if they wish to not lose him for nothing.

Roy has a lot of the power in any trade because any trade should be a trade with a contract in place for Roy with his next team. No team would trade for Roy if they didn't sign him to a long term contract.

Cause, see.... come the end of the season when his contract is up, he'll get to choose where he wants to go or force the Lions to franchise him, which I'm sure he'd love either way.
              Well if the Lions do well and we offer him a nice contract, maybe in December, he could very well take it. If not franchise him. This at least buys more timeto try to sign him by July 15th or you could still trade him for a 1st if he is incredibly unhappy in April. Why trade him this year when Calvin isn't ready yet, Martz is gone and our OCs are questionable, and Roy will be playing incredibly hard(because it is a contract year).

Comment

Good topic for me to finally sign in on. It's been a long long time...

Anyways, thank god Roy wants to be here. I really think that these players could care less what team they're on throughout their career. If they get old and they still have talent they know they can just join some gravytrain team like the pats did with Moss during the draft. It's really all speculation in the media. If you were a beat writer what else would you have to write about? There can't be much because no one ever leads onto anything in this organization. Besides I really feel like there's a huge difference in the mentality between Roy and Big Fat @ss Baby.

Comment

That... right there... is the biggest flaw with your argument.

This isn't about money with Roy... it's about the situation. If it was about money, Roy would just ask for/demand a new contract. If it's the situation... the departure of Martz, CJ, Texas, the losing... he wouldn't "love" being franchised. He'd want out at all costs.

The article that sparked this was the article about KJ and Roy and how each hopes the other will be franchised. Why? Because, as the article explained, neither wants to be here.

Originally posted by MNYM2
                  Huh? This contradicts our book. We are never going to sell any copies now if you want Roy to stay too.

I say sign him this offseason.
                  No! No contradictions!

It all comes down to what Roy wants. If Roy doesn't want to be here and will try to leave after the season, I'd rather trade him now and improve the defense. If he actually wants to stay, I'd love to have him. He adds a lot to the offense... when he's wearing our uniform.

I was thinking about that, though... if he really wants to be here, why not sign a new contract? Give him a bit more and keep him here for 2-3 more years.

It would make sense. We'll see...

Comment

Ah ok. Roy not wanting to be franchised is just another telling sign that he wants out... Which I've been saying all along.

Comment

Well, Kevin Jones not wanting to be here was a result of Mike Martz being here. I'm sure Kevin Jones is just fine now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD
                        Well, Kevin Jones not wanting to be here was a result of Mike Martz being here. I'm sure Kevin Jones is just fine now.
                        Coletto not having faith in his RB group can't help KJs satisfaction with the team right now.

Either way, if he can get healthy and gets the ball, he'll be fine.

Ah ok. Roy not wanting to be franchised is just another telling sign that he wants out... Which I've been saying all along.
                        Yeah... that has been the talk all along. We've been going back and forth about Roy and his status with the team.

But, I'll take his word over "just another report" on the internet. If he says he wants to be here, I'll believe that until I hear him say otherwise (or until he leaves).

Comment

I was thinking about that, though... if he really wants to be here, why not sign a new contract? Give him a bit more and keep him here for 2-3 more years.

Exactly. Offer him a contract this offseason. If he doesn't take it now, offer him again in December(assuming we have the cap room, much like Bob Sanders) If we are winning in December, the probability of him signing it is much higher. If we're not winning, he probably won't sign it, you franchise him in February and trade him in April. Much like how John Abraham was moved.

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post

Exactly. Offer him a contract this offseason. If he doesn't take it now, offer him again in December(assuming we have the cap room, much like Bob Sanders) If we are winning in December, the probability of him signing it is much higher. If we're not winning, he probably won't sign it, you franchise him in February and trade him in April. Much like how John Abraham was moved.
                            He won't sign the contract cause he wants out.

Comment

He won't sign the contract cause he wants out.
                              This is what kills me, D.

How exactly do you know that? A report? Random fan talk on the internet? Roger Goodell? Mr. Roy himself?

No... you don't. Roy even came out and said that he wanted to stay... and, to you, that means he definitely wants to leave.

Roy may want out and Roy may want to stay... or, Roy may just want to wait and see what happens. Either way, neither of us really know what Roy wants. Stop pretending.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information