Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions sign Dwight Smith

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=113118&spln=1

Lions signed FS Dwight Smith, formerly of the Vikings, to a two-year, $5 million contract. The deal includes a $350,000 signing bonus.
    Didn't see this coming.

My connections from the signing

1. Kennedy is long gone.

2. Gerald Alexander is moving to CB.

POSTED 4:24 p.m. EST, February 27, 2008

DWIGHT SMITH TO DETROIT

Cut by the Vikings, safety Dwight Smith will now get to play them twice per year.

A league source tells us that Smith has agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions. He'll sign a two-year, $5 million deal.

Per the source, Smith gets a $350,000 signing bonus, a $300,000 training-camp reporting bonus in 2008, and a 2008 base salary of $1.35 million. Next year, Smith is due to receive a $500,000 roster bonus, a $250,000 reporting bonus, and a base salary of $2.25 million.

The move reunites Smith with head coach Rod Marinelli and defensive coordinator Joe Barry, who were assistants in Tampa when Smith played there.

Yeah I think Kennoy is gone. Dwight Smith was good in Tampa, not so good in Minnesota. He is a true Tampa 2 FS though. Smith should have been the Super Bowl MVP the year Tampa won it. We'll see if he has any left in him. Vikings fans probably won't think too much of him.

Comment

i dont think alexander is moving i think they will be rotating bullocks smith and alexander remember bullocks is a questrion mark with his knee this might be a back up plan for that since i know they want kennedy gone

Comment

It provides more depth with safeties tha can cover instead of run support safeties like Kennoy.

Who knows we might keep Kennoy and move Alexander to corner. You never know with Millen.

Comment

I think they're playing it safe with Bullocks... letting him sit as long as he has to until he's healed.

If both Smith and Bullocks are healthy, and something drastic happens at CB, I can see them trying Alexander there. I don't think they want to keep him there, though... he was great his rookie year.
          Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
            I think they're playing it safe with Bullocks... letting him sit as long as he has to until he's healed.

If both Smith and Bullocks are healthy, and something drastic happens at CB, I can see them trying Alexander there. I don't think they want to keep him there, though... he was great his rookie year.
            I wouldn't say Alexander was great last year. He was decent to above average and progressed as the year went on. I expect more from him this year but it looks like now he has a little competition. Its always good to have depth and competition.

Plus there is the Millen second round curse. I expect Ikaika or Alexander to be on IR early this year. Dont' want to see it but Bailey,Lehman,Cody and Bullocks all were hurt in year 2 of their career severely. Plus Stanton last year since we had 3 second rounders.

Comment

haha i like the curse thing never rly picked up on that. I think alexander did a pretty good job last year especially for a rookie and should stay there. It was interesting that in Marinelli's interview about him he even said that Smith has played some corner before too. I think it will be a big rotation if bullocks is healthy and Im sure alexander and smith could both see some time at CB here and there in certain situations. But Depth is a great thing to have and it brings compitition which this team needs

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
                I wouldn't say Alexander was great last year. He was decent to above average and progressed as the year went on. I expect more from him this year but it looks like now he has a little competition. Its always good to have depth and competition.

Plus there is the Millen second round curse. I expect Ikaika or Alexander to be on IR early this year. Dont' want to see it but Bailey,Lehman,Cody and Bullocks all were hurt in year 2 of their career severely. Plus Stanton last year since we had 3 second rounders.
                Alexander was outstanding his rookie year. He was playing next to Kennedy and had a horrible secondary around him (not to mention a weak LB group and an average DLine). Made a lot of big plays and was a leader on and off the field. For a rookie, that's a great year.

Comment

The key phrase is "for a rookie". Meaning we didn't expect much out of him. He exceeded expectations which is great, but overall his play wasn't great.

I'm judging him compared to other starting safeties based on the term "great". Based on comparing him to starting safeties he wasn't a great player. However, he was above average and did progress. I think he can become a great player. He had 2 ints, 2 sacks and 6 PDs. Solid for a rookie but not spectacular, especially in the pass deflection department with so many passes thrown on our defense. And as far as team leader, how would you know that. You can't tell who is the leader in the locker room.

I'm excited to see how he progresses in year 2. He had Sims on his side most of the time so the weak LB argument doesn't really fly. He did have the number 2 corner on his side which would hurt him, but the safety especially in a Cover 2 is expected to bail out the corner. And I did see Alexander get beat, especially early in the year. For example, the Washington game when Randle El was burning both Stanley Wilson and Alexander. And the Philly game when Curtis beat both Stanley Wilson and Alexander.

Comment

Why couldn't Smith play cornerback? I think that's just as likely as any other scenario.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I'm not sure what to make of this move... I'll judge later. On the bright side, at least they're bringing people in on D

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
                        The key phrase is "for a rookie". Meaning we didn't expect much out of him. He exceeded expectations which is great, but overall his play wasn't great.
                        What!? His overall play wasn't great? That's ridiculous. 81 total tackles, 2 sacks, 6 passes defensed (one for an INT by Cody), 2 fumble recoveries and 2 INTs... and started every game last year.

He had a great season.
                        Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2
                        And as far as team leader, how would you know that. You can't tell who is the leader in the locker room.
                        OK.
                        Originally posted by detroitlions.com
                        ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- NFL rookies aren’t supposed to command the huddle.

They are not supposed to be looked upon as the voice of reason, and they are certainly not supposed to make a fiery defensive coordinator like Joe Barry stand in awe of the manner in which they conduct themselves on and off the field.

Apparently Gerald Alexander defies conventional logic.

“Because of his work ethic, because of his intelligence, and because of the way he goes about his business, he has been very impressive to me,” said Barry.

Safety Gerald Alexander has defied logic by taking over as a leader in his first NFL season.
                        It's OK... I know it's easier to argue against it instead of doing the research yourself.
                        Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2
                        I'm excited to see how he progresses in year 2. He had Sims on his side most of the time so the weak LB argument doesn't really fly. He did have the number 2 corner on his side which would hurt him, but the safety especially in a Cover 2 is expected to bail out the corner. And I did see Alexander get beat, especially early in the year. For example, the Washington game when Randle El was burning both Stanley Wilson and Alexander. And the Philly game when Curtis beat both Stanley Wilson and Alexander.
                        The weak LB argument doesn't fly? ********. One great player doesn't make up for 2 horrible players. Also, Sims plays WLB... not LOLB or ROLB. His position on the field can changes, whereas Alexander played predominantly on one side.

And, of course he got beat. Everyone gets beat. I watched every game, and Alexander was one of our only consistent performers.

I'm done with the topic. Believe what you want, he had a great year.

Comment

Damn it.... what happens to our Greg "Your My Boy" Blue?!?!?!?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Originally posted by wingboy2999 View Post
                            Damn it.... what happens to our Greg "Your My Boy" Blue?!?!?!?
                            Kennedy will, most likely, be cut (or traded for a 2028 7th round pick). Blue still has a good chance of making the roster.

Comment

just read on mlive that since we're so thin at CB we may keep kennedy. I doubt it IMO but thats what they're saying and since both alexander and smith have experience at CB it could get interesting but either way i think blue could make the roster since if they do keep all 4 of these safeties they probly wont carry 5 cb's

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information