A New player in an NFL.com mock draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New player in an NFL.com mock draft

Really found it quite interesting that in Pat Kirwan's mock draft he released today he had your Detroit Lions taking...............

OG Branden Albert.

I've never seen a mock with us taking him but to be completely honest I really, really dig the pick. As much as we complain and moan about that RT position our guard play is just as bad its just not as noticeable. But Albert has the ability to start at guard from day one and he played a little tackle last year too. It should be noted that he had DE Derrick Harvey going to Cincy at 9 and Mendenhall to the bears so both of them were off the board.
    Thoughts?

I'd like that pick. He could instantly start at Guard, and I'm confident that he could take a Tackle spot and play that very well, too. He's a guy I've been thinking about quite a bit lately (and not just before I go to sleep).. I'd definitely throw his name into the mix for our pick.. I don't think I'd pass on Chris Williams for him.. but I'd be happy if we got Branden Albert.

Comment

I would probably be happy as well. It's not a "sexy" pick, but he definitely helps the OL. Even if #16 is too high for Albert, I'd still do it. I so desperately want this team to address the OL that I wouldn't care. He even has some LT potential to work with.

Comment

IF Mendenhall is there at #15, I think we could trade down a few spots.. maybe to #18 with Houston, or maybe #22 to the Cowboys. I'd bank on him still being there.. with my main worry being Albert going to the Eagles at #19.

Comment

This would probably one of my first options for us for our first round pick.

Comment

Albert is a nice player but at #15 for a guard?

I think we have much bigger needs on defense and running back. We have two young guards in Ramirez and Frank Davis to develop. Marinelli is high on Peterman and Mulitalo is a decent starting LG.

Plus does Albert fit the new zone blocking scheme?

Comment

WMD <3's Albert

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
                Albert is a nice player but at #15 for a guard?

I think we have much bigger needs on defense and running back. We have two young guards in Ramirez and Frank Davis to develop. Marinelli is high on Peterman and Mulitalo is a decent starting LG.

Plus does Albert fit the new zone blocking scheme?
                If Albert left after his Junior year I'm pretty sure the advisory committee told him that he was intelligent enough to pick up the system quick enough to start if he would be a first rounder. Plus, outside of rookie players I don't think there is a certain style of guard that is required in the zbs. All in all I really do not like Frank Davis and Stephen Peterman- at all. Definite upgrade in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by ESimsfan87 View Post
                  If Albert left after his Junior year I'm pretty sure the advisory committee told him that he was intelligent enough to pick up the system quick enough to start if he would be a first rounder. Plus, outside of rookie players I don't think there is a certain style of guard that is required in the zbs. All in all I really do not like Frank Davis and Stephen Peterman- at all. Definite upgrade in my books.
                  upgrade is the key word here, we need an upgrade at guard, vs ANYTHING at RB, LB and a lack of NT... I like albert as a prospect, I just think it doens't adress the biggest need.

That being said, I wouldn't be dissapointed if we did in fact select albert.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                    upgrade is the key word here, we need an upgrade at guard, vs ANYTHING at RB, LB and a lack of NT... I like albert as a prospect, I just think it doens't adress the biggest need.

That being said, I wouldn't be dissapointed if we did in fact select albert.
                    Agreed I wouldn't be disappointed as long as he pans out. I don't care who we pick other than a WR or Safety if they pan out. I just don't think its our biggest need. And Round 1 is typically not used on guards. Plus I want to see what Ramirez can do personally.

DE,LB,RB,NT,OT are all bigger needs than guard IMO.

And as far as Kirwan the guy who did the mock, he was a personnel man with the Jets when they were awful. I believe his last year there the Jets went 1-15 and Kirwan brought in the likes of Neil O-Donnell to the Meadowlands.
                    Last edited by Maybe Next Year Millen2; 03-25-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I'd rather have Williams, who was still there in Kirwan's mock. I'm not quite sure if ther Lions feel as though G is a need, I'd prefer a couple of upgrades, but I think a G like Chilo Rachal in the 2nd with Williams in the 1st would be a better use of selections and would maximize the talent they are receiving.

Comment

Taking a RG at 15 would be a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                          Taking a RG at 15 would be a joke.
                          Shawn Andrews was picked #16 overall...

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                            Shawn Andrews was picked #16 overall...
                            By the Eagles who at that point were a very solid team on their way up. There's this subtle difference.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                              By the Eagles who at that point were a very solid team on their way up. There's this subtle difference.
                              Touche... touche....

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information