Mayock: Lions take Mayo @ 15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayock: Lions take Mayo @ 15

Figured that was thread-worthy... our need at LB that big and is Mayo's stock really high enough?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

I wouldn't like that. Especially because there's a good chance either one of the Top OT's, Derrick Harvey, Rashard Mendenhall, or Branden Albert will be there at 15.. and any of them would be a better pick, IMO. We wouldn't be getting very good Value for the pick and I think we'd be better off taking Jonathan Goff in Round 3.

Comment

I have to agree with you. LB is far from your most pressing need, i think that it is O-Line and RB. I think that Mayo may slip to the second round and maybe Millien would trade up to get him in the second. That would make a lot of sence. I think that Mayo is a great fit for the Tampa 2 defence that the lions play.

Comment

Wow, that strikes me as waaay too high. Forget that imo.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

You're both right, but I think Mayo's stock right now couldn't be higher and if we want him we might actually have to trade up quite a bit (at cost of draft picks, which are much-needed to fill holes.

But with Mendenhall, Chris Williams, Branden Albert and Derrick Harvey still available I don't think reaching for Mayo would help us.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

I could actually see this happening. I believe in my last mock I had Mayo going to the Lions at #17 (before the draft order was set). I'm not sure if I would be a fan of the move, but I do think this has a realistic chance of happening.

Comment

I'd rather not draft Mayo at all than draft him with the 15th overall pick. The Lions have bigger needs, with better players available at those other positions.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

great talent, but he should not go higher than ray lewis did...i'd rather have chris williams and he's probably my 3rd choice at that spot.
                SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                  great talent, but he should not go higher than ray lewis did...i'd rather have chris williams and he's probably my 3rd choice at that spot.
                  That might be the single dumbest argument not to take a player. Ray Lewis was a freakin' steal. With that reasoning taking a quarterback before round six is insane considering Tom Brady was there, DE in round one? rediculous, Chiefs got Jared Allen in round 3!

I suppose you were against Patrick Willis in the top 20 as well? Hell he was drafted 15 spots earlier than Lewis, which is crazy! Brian Urlacher was drafted 17 picks earlier than Lewis... that's proposterous!

My point is Ray Lewis was drafted 26th overall in a time when inside linebackers, like safeties weren't taken high a lot. There are exceptions, of couse. If anything guys like Ray Lewis are the REASON teams are willing to take a linebacker early simply because of the impact he and his kind have on the game.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

rather take Albert at 15 than Mayo

Comment

I like it. I was speculating on this the last couple of days in the discussion thread.

Comment

my point is that he's just not there yet. he's not ray lewis and not patrick willis. he's still a bottom 1st/ top 2nd round pick. if we want him then lets just trade back into the bottom of the 1st, plenty of people will want to move down.
                        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                          I suppose you were against Patrick Willis in the top 20 as well? Hell he was drafted 15 spots earlier than Lewis, which is crazy! Brian Urlacher was drafted 17 picks earlier than Lewis... that's proposterous!
                          also, don't be stupid patrick willis was a way different prospect than mayo, he wasn't a middle of the pack player who worked his way up into first round consideration, he was a stud from the beginning who happened to also run a 4.37 in his pro day to earn his elite grade. and urlacher earned his elite grade. mayo is great but not elite, so don't confuse them.
                          Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

With Ernie Sims there I don't think a 1st rounder needs to be spent on Mike Linebacker for the Tampa 2. They can be found anywhere. Gary Brackett wasn't even drafted.
                            I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Well hopefully we would trade down before making this pick at 15.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information