Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Lions !!!!!!!! What do you think they should do with the 1,20 and 33 pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solomon View Post
    I dunno. I realize that Culpepper will be the starting QB in September but they still need a long term solution and it would be wise to have Stafford sit for a year anyway. If Culpepper and Stanton are staying and Kitna and Orlovsky are leaving doesn't that open up a QB spot?

I agree that they should go BPA, but Stafford just might be the BPA in this draft. I certainly don't think Jason Smith is the best player in this draft, do you? Curry probably is but can they afford to grab a LB first overall?
    Jason Smith was the star of the combine for the OT's...but the knock on him is that he played in a spread-zone scheme at Baylor and hes not that much of a mauler hes a finesse LT...and hes also not cut fro the same cloth as Jake Long who went 1 in 08 and Thomas who went 3 in 2007.

Im starting to think the consensus si that Curry is the best Player in the draft..and the Lions had the WORST defense in the NFL last year and Coach Scwartz was the Titans D coordinator the last 8 years..I mean it makes sense....I mean look at how Bulluck plays in the Tiatans scheme..but then again Bulluck was the 30th pick in the draft.

I thnk Curry will have a pro day to show himself off again.....and Staffords pro day will decide whos goes number 1...Stafford or Curry.

University of Michigan

RichRod will win the Big Ten title.....You watch.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUBurner22 View Post
      Man down here in Detroit they are talking about Raji , Curry or Jason Smith.

But they ahve been meeting with Stafford.....

The only way Im cool with them taking Stafford is if we can keep him off his back...or he will be the next David Carr and Alex Smith....a good QB inc olege who played behind terrible lines in the pros.
      The Detroit brass apparently took Curry out for dinner a couple of nights ago too...

I've changed my mind a couple of times as far as what the picks will likely be. I'm now of the opinion that the Lions will go Aaron Curry at #1 for two specific reasons: They obviously need another playmaker on defense, and just as importantly they CANNOT afford to have this pick bust on them! It would be a PR nightmare...this team needs to re-build its image off the field just as much as on it.

As I've stated on another thread, I'd like to see them draft:

#1 Aaron Curry: Safest pick, will have immediate impact, probable perennial pro-bowler.
      #20 Vontae Davis / Alphonso Smith: CB HAS to be addressed. Good place to start.
      #33 Duke Robinson: The run game is clearly going to be of huge importance this year. We need a road grader on the line to help with that.

I'd also really like to see them draft Terrance Taylor in the third. I think that he's under-rated.

It will be interesting to see who they sign in free agency too.
      [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

1. Stafford-overhaul on D will take time, stafford can mature with the D to equal a championship contender in a few years.

2. Vontae Davis-i want talent in the secondary. we need a better pass rush but there are creative ways of helping that.

3. William Beatty- Jason Smith Lite

i also want a top DT after those guys. and also a good pass catching TE to help take some pressure off. also, more line depth across both lines.
        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

1. Matthew Stafford
          2. Peria Jerry / Best CB available
          3. William Beatty / Duke Robinson
          R.I.P. L.E.F.
          "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

I don't think I would ever take a Linebacker #1. If you pick #1 overall, you likely have bigger needs than Outside Linebacker.. like QB, LT, DE.

We also have poor DT play, which would limit what Curry can do right away.

This draft shouldn't be about picking players that will have an immediate impact anyways. We should be looking for players that can play major roles on the team in 3+ years.. Guys we can actually sign to a *gasp* second contract!

Comment

1. Stafford
              20. bpa(OT,DE,CB,LB,DT)
              33. bpa(OT,DE,CB,LB,DT)

Comment

1. Stafford - franchise QB
                1. William Beatty OT - underrated, won't be in there at #33
                2. Louis Delmas S - i love this guy
                3. Darius Butler CB - this is hoping
                3. Scott Mckillop ILB - i love this guy
                5. Louis Vasquez OG - all love
                6. Roy Miller NT - small but powerful and quick
                6. Sammie Stroughter WR - electric
                Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death; 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM.

Comment

1) Aaron Curry -- A leader and play maker to help overhaul the leagues worst defense. The most bust-proof pick in the draft, the importance of which can't be understated.

20) Alphonso Smith -- Another natural play maker, this time in a secondary that features no starting caliber CB's.

33) Duke Robinson -- A large, nasty young man who will be an important piece of the OL moving forward.

Comment

This is just a random thought, but the only way I'd pass on Stafford is if we traded for a QB. Not for Cassell, but I'd entertain acquiring McNabb if the price wasn't too high (most I'd give up is Dallas' 3rd Rounder).. This would allow us to either pick up Eugene Monroe or trade down for Aaron Curry, Jason Smith, or whoever.

That would probably delay the First Round QB for another year or two.

Comment

Ya'll drafted Gosder Cherilus at #17 last year, so did he just not show enough to prove that he can possibly be a LT at the NFL level or is taking a OT at #1 this year just the safer pick and letting Cherilus stay RT?

I haven't heard much on how Cherilus did last season, but given the situation he was in, I dunno how accurate of an analysis can be made.
                      Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                      Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                        Ya'll drafted Gosder Cherilus at #17 last year, so did he just not show enough to prove that he can possibly be a LT at the NFL level or is taking a OT at #1 this year just the safer pick and letting Cherilus stay RT?

I haven't heard much on how Cherilus did last season, but given the situation he was in, I dunno how accurate of an analysis can be made.
                        I'm pretty sure Gosder was never going to be a NFL LT, and we knew this when drafting him.

sig made by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                          1. Matthew Stafford
                          2. Peria Jerry / Best CB available
                          3. William Beatty / Duke Robinson
                          I like this the most.

Every LBer will be crap playing behind our DTs.

Comment

MONROE
                            MAULILUGA
                            DJ MOORE

4 glaring needs LT, ILB, CB & KR ... and 3 VERY talented players.
                            Backus moves to guard, Monroe completes the left side.
                            Rey is the QB of the defense for the next 10 years. Who cares about 40 times, some guys are just football players!!
                            Moore is the KR we do not have and instant #1 CB you need to keep average QB's in the division from having career days against the Lions.

CURRY
                            DUKE ROBINSON
                            ZIGGY HOOD

This epitimizes "stop the run/run the football" ... Curry & Robinson are the consensus #1 players at their positions in this draft and I love building with beef up front. Hood is a beast who always seems to be in on plays (especially in the other teams back field) This instantly fills the hole left when we traded Big Baby ...(sorry Darby!) plus all 3 are high character guys which is a + for Schwartz & Mayhew's reputations.

Comment

#1 Eugene Monroe- Our line has been awful for what seems like forever. I think we need someone who can be our LT for the next 10-12 years. I think he is the best tackle in the draft. Having Monroe and Cherilus is definitely someone to get excited about.

#20 Peria Jerry- Other than BJ Raji, I think he is the best interior linemen in the draft. If we are able to get help on both of our lines with the first two picks, it would go a long way to helping us. That being said, there is always someone that slips in the draft.

#33 Alphonso Smith- He is a little undersized, but so what. He did nothing but make plays at Wake and I would absolutely love to have him. We are in desperate need of a corner, but Jenkins will be gone by #20 and I'm not sold on Davis. I would be very happy if we were able to get him at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions2342 View Post
                                #1 Eugene Monroe- Our line has been awful for what seems like forever. I think we need someone who can be our LT for the next 10-12 years. I think he is the best tackle in the draft. Having Monroe and Cherilus is definitely someone to get excited about.
                                #1 Matt Stafford- Our QB's have been awful for what seems like forever. I think we need someone who can be our QB for the next 10-12 years. I think he is the best QB in the draft. Having Stafford is definitely something to get excited about.

What makes LT more of a need than QB for us?
                                Last edited by WMD; 02-25-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information