Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Stafford A Franchise QB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I am so tired of the "There have been so many QB busts so let's not draft Stafford 1st overall because we need a sure fire pick" argument.


    RIP TheManInBlack

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
      You say drafting a bust at#1 will set the team back years. The team went 0-16 this year which was the worst in NFL history. Even if Stafford is a bust, if you draft good players with the next 4 pick your team will be better. The lions went 0-16 they can't get any worse. Don't take that the wrong way.
      It could get worse, but we would have to break new ground to do so.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
        I am so tired of the "There have been so many QB busts so let's not draft Stafford 1st overall because we need a sure fire pick" argument.
        Agreed.

        Let's set precedent and take a Punter #1 overall. There is no history of a Punter being a bust when taken in the first round!

        Win-Win?
        R.I.P. L.E.F.
        "I am the one who knocks!"

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
          Agreed.

          Let's set precedent and take a Punter #1 overall. There is no history of a Punter being a bust when taken in the first round!

          Win-Win?
          Thats a tad extreme.

          Comment


          • #20
            He's one of the better prospects we have seen in some time IMO, he's a heck of a prospect and has everything you look for in a stud QB, and he's not a headcase, or totally full of himself.

            I'd much rather have a stud QB and a mediocre LT than a stud LT and a mediocre QB.

            If you grab an LT now, there's no guarantee there will even be a QB prospect as good as Stafford in some time, and their definitely isn't one next year.

            Then, what if someone like Oher or Andre Smith slips to number 14 or so, and the Saints will be looking to trade down....

            This year is DEEP in offensive linemen, no need to take one at #1 when their is a clear cut #1 QB, with top tier QB tools, and the next two are a clear drop off(Sanchez is getting overrated due to his "leadership" like every other player that plays for powerhouse programs.)

            Take Stafford, get a linemen with either 21 or 33(or use one to move up) and and try to go defense for most of the way unless you see some glaring BPAs.

            The Lions are in terrific position, I don't think the Lions line is nearly as bad as some are making it, and I think it is only going to be better, even if no one is added, but guys like Cherilus should only be better, and it's not like Stafford won't have a nice running back and dominant receiver.

            Get that special QB now, grab another offensive linemen somewhere in the top 33, I want to follow this team for a long time, don't disappoint me Mayhew :D
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

            Comment


            • #21
              Good point it does seem like every 1st round QB with a average (or above avg.) arm that wins a lot of games in college. Can get by in the NFL due to his "leadership". Just because a guy has a big arm doesn't mean he isn't a leader and isn't accurate.

              Comment


              • #22
                I must say... even though I'm in the camp to draft someone other than Stafford, I wouldn't be upset if they did pick him. I want to see him succeed and I like the kid's moxie.

                http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...902250357/1004

                "I'm being completely honest, and it has nothing to do with money -- I would love to go to Detroit," Stafford told King, echoing comments he made in a 15-minute news conference earlier Friday at the combine. "My friends say, 'C'mon, gimme a break.' But I'm a competitive guy. The Lions have passionate fans, a great stadium, and I'd be throwing to the biggest freak (Calvin Johnson), with the most talent, of any receiver in the NFL."
                and then...

                The Lions' top brass, including head coach Jim Schwartz, had a two-hour dinner with Stafford on Thursday night in Indianapolis. By all accounts, it went well. Well enough, in fact, that Stafford felt comfortable enough the next day to sneak up behind Lions president Tom Lewand and give him a bear hug, King reports.

                "Come on!" Stafford told Lewand, laughing. "Let's go! I'm ready!"
                He is either ballsy, or completely stupid. I could see that situation playing out so many ways in my head.

                But if the Lions pick him, I can't wait to see what he can do.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Is this guy nuts? (wanting to play for the Lions). If he says he wants to be paid in Ford stock better have him drug tested.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                    Is this guy nuts? (wanting to play for the Lions). If he says he wants to be paid in Ford stock better have him drug tested.
                    I know. If he keeps up this behavior we might have to nickname him "Edsel".

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                      I am so tired of the "There have been so many QB busts so let's not draft Stafford 1st overall because we need a sure fire pick" argument.
                      Completely agree. Was it someone on here that said look at the Vikes and Bears? They built a team first, and now they can't find a QB to win with that team. We're in the position to draft a top notch QB; we need to do it if management feels he is a quality QB prospect.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by sunnyintheD View Post
                        Completely agree. Was it someone on here that said look at the Vikes and Bears? They built a team first, and now they can't find a QB to win with that team. We're in the position to draft a top notch QB; we need to do it if management feels he is a quality QB prospect.
                        The Bears did pretty well a few years back without a top notch QB. They went to a Super Bowl one year and the year before I think got to the NFC Finals.

                        BTW, the QB they had both those years was a 1st round draft choice.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
                          The Bears did pretty well a few years back without a top notch QB. They went to a Super Bowl one year and the year before I think got to the NFC Finals.

                          BTW, the QB they had both those years was a 1st round draft choice.
                          Yea, they lost in the divisional then the SB the next year. But they failed to win the SB then, and now their defense is far from what it was. All I'm saying is they wasted years of good defense with QBs like Shane Matthews & Jim Miller. Then when they finally decide to address QB in the 1st they pick up the 3rd QB of the draft.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The bears also had a great defense the year they made it to the superbowl. Remember Rex did show signs of being a franchise QB that year. The chance of Stafford becoming a franchise QB is much better then the lions building a defense like the bears had that year.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              If your goal is one year here and there of success, don't worry about trying to find a franchise QB. If you want sustained success, find a franchise QB. I'm not sure why any fan would want teir team to be the occasional one year wonder. There aren't too many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a franchise QB.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                                If your goal is one year here and there of success, don't worry about trying to find a franchise QB. If you want sustained success, find a franchise QB. I'm not sure why any fan would want teir team to be the occasional one year wonder. There aren't too many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a franchise QB.
                                ...and there aren't many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a top rated defense that can stop the run and put pressure an opposing QB.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information