Is Stafford A Franchise QB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
    ...and there aren't many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a top rated defense that can stop the run and put pressure an opposing QB.
    As I've said before: Having a franchise QB does not stop a team from having a top defense. You simply choose to ignore that fact. The top 5 defenses in the league last year all started QB's picked in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
      As I've said before: Having a franchise QB does not stop a team from having a top defense. You simply choose to ignore that fact. The top 5 defenses in the league last year all started QB's picked in the first round.
      So our other options are:
      A) Free agency - which might be difficult as Detroit is not a hot ticket these days.
      B) Rest of the draft - yes we have a lot of picks but the further we get from #1, the less quality you get for your pick.
      C) Trade - not many assets left and most of them are draft picks.

In general terms, yes having a franchise QB does NOT stop you from having a top 5 defense. Ok...but since we are at the bottom of the pile now, how do you go about building this top 5 defense?

I'm trying to look at this practically and think "how do you build a top 5 defense" and our best option is to draft the best defensive talent, and to do that we need to use the best picks we have. I'm not saying everything after #1 is chopped liver, but its a step back, and right now we are HORRIBLE on defense. We could use a defensive identity.

And you are also assuming Stafford becomes a franchise QB. I suppose I am also assuming someone like Aaron Curry becomes a cornerstone LB, but many experts assume Curry is the safest pick in the draft and one of the top three talents, so I'm banking off that.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
        The bears also had a great defense the year they made it to the superbowl. Remember Rex did show signs of being a franchise QB that year. The chance of Stafford becoming a franchise QB is much better then the lions building a defense like the bears had that year.
        The Bears defense carried that team. They went to the SB despite Grossman. I agree about Stafford though.

Comment

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
          So our other options are:
          A) Free agency - which might be difficult as Detroit is not a hot ticket these days.
          B) Rest of the draft - yes we have a lot of picks but the further we get from #1, the less quality you get for your pick.
          C) Trade - not many assets left and most of them are draft picks.

In general terms, yes having a franchise QB does NOT stop you from having a top 5 defense. Ok...but since we are at the bottom of the pile now, how do you go about building this top 5 defense?

I'm trying to look at this practically and think "how do you build a top 5 defense" and our best option is to draft the best defensive talent, and to do that we need to use the best picks we have. I'm not saying everything after #1 is chopped liver, but its a step back, and right now we are HORRIBLE on defense. We could use a defensive identity.

And you are also assuming Stafford becomes a franchise QB. I suppose I am also assuming someone like Aaron Curry becomes a cornerstone LB, but many experts assume Curry is the safest pick in the draft and one of the top three talents, so I'm banking off that.
          A team can only pick one player per pick so if you have a top pick and you need a QB, pick one because they are the most important single player on a team. Not using the top pick on a defender does not stop the Lions from building their D.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
            A team can only pick one player per pick so if you have a top pick and you need a QB, pick one because they are the most important single player on a team. Not using the top pick on a defender does not stop the Lions from building their D.
            exactly. We really have no excuse not to draft Stafford.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information