Is Stafford A Franchise QB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Stafford A Franchise QB?

I'm finding that the biggest point of contention between those who think that Detroit should take Stafford at #1 and those that don't is a difference in opinion as to whether or not he is a potential franchise QB.

So is he or is he simply the best QB of the draft class?
    [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Nobody can predict with certainty whether a QB will be a 'franchise QB' before he ever even gets drafted...

The whole "He's only the best QB in this draft class" argument was being used for Matt Ryan by many people last year btw.

Comment

More a question of whether he has the potential expected of a #1 pick to become one, rather than predicting whether or not he will be one.

Just another debate to have while we try to fill time over the next two months.....
      [

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Everything you look for in a franchise QB he has. He does have areas he needs to improve, but so does every QB coming out of college. Will he live up to the potential in the NFL nobody knows the answer to that at this point. If your making a list of a franchise QB coming out of college he has everything you need.

Comment

I think he played against very good comp. his whole career and excelled. Seems like a gun-slinger. People doubt his decision making but he will learn. On a lot of his INTs he through I saw bad routes. He is a three year starter, sure he didn't stay for all four years, but when you have been on the field for 3 years is it really that important? I personally see him as one of the best QB prospects in the last few years.

Comment

I believe he is the best quarterback in 2009 and will be the best at his position in 2010 if he stayed one more year. I think his decision making has improved tremendously his junior year cutting his INT to TD rate down to 25 TDs and 10 INTs with a 61.4% comp percentage. I think he is changing quickly from being a gun slinger to a guy who you can rely on.

Comment

I would put him ahead of Jay Cutler coming out of college. We'll see how going to a bad team plays out but i think he's for real. Would have liked to see him throw at the combine, i think it would have calmed some of the Lions faithful a bit.

Comment

I think, and have all along, that Stafford is simply the top QB prospect in this draft class. I don't really like him as a "franchise" QB. I'd rather have Bomar in the 3rd or 4th. I think he's a better QB and would be graded higher if he'd stayed in Division IA.
                ________
                FaeKitty
                Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                  I think, and have all along, that Stafford is simply the top QB prospect in this draft class. I don't really like him as a "franchise" QB. I'd rather have Bomar in the 3rd or 4th. I think he's a better QB and would be graded higher if he'd stayed in Division IA.

I think you're right about Bomar being rated higher if he had stayed in Division 1 no doubt but are you saying he's in Stafford's class?

Comment

I heard today that from the past 10 #1 picks there have been only 5 Pro Bowl appearaces produced!! Said player would almost instantly get #1 player at his position type $$$ and Stafford imo does not rank up there, especially given the limited resources the Lions are offering him with on the field talent.

EUGENE MONROE IS THE PICK. BUILD THE FOUNDATION TO THE HOUSE FIRST THEN DECORATE THE INTERIOR!

Comment

Depends on how you define franchise QB.

Do I think he can be a longterm (like 7-8 years) solution for us at the QB position while possibly making a couple Pro Bowls?

Yes.
                      R.I.P. L.E.F.
                      "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

my knock on stafford is his preferred name. Matthew Stafford. It's not Thomas Brady, but then again its not like Peyton goes by Pey Manning. i actually prefer John Stafford. it makes him sound more professional and there aren't any tricks to his name. we could also give him a nickname of Comeback Jack then.

other than that his decision making is better than JaMarcus, he's better than Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Leinart, and a slew of other recent top QB prospects. pick him and sit him on the bench for a year and a half. let Daunte do the heavy lifting until he's ready and we should have a pretty good environment for stafford in 3 years.
                        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand why so many people act like our offense is so far away from being decent. I mean it looks that way because of the way we played last year, but we really only need a few pieces. Take Stafford #1 and then draft a guard in the 3rd Round. Then next year take a left tackle early, slide Backus to guard, and grab a #2 wide receiver in the 2nd or 3rd Round. Suddenly our offense is a pretty good situation for a young quarterback to be in.

Obviously it's not that simple. We do have to pick players that will be successful, which is easier said than done. We already have a top receiver, a pretty good running back, and a decent right tackle. As long as the franchise makes the correct moves these next few seasons we could be in solid shape. Our offense is much closer than our defense is.

Comment

How about we all remember Leinart? This guy was gonna go #1 and everyone was falling all over him and then he went back to school and got drafted #10 and he....sucks. He played at a fantastic school against fantastic competition so that is no barometer for success in the NFL.
                            This is a draft the Mayhew absolutely CANNOT screw up and therefore cannot gamble his team's immediate future on Stafford. Stafford is good and may be great but there have been too many Leinarts,Youngs,Georges,etc. for this to be the Lion's pick. They will go with Curry.
                            Oh and Prowler, you are picking apart the guy's name? Yeah ok. Because it sounds more professional? I still laugh when I remember the silliness about Joey Harrington's name having to do with his failure.

Comment

You say drafting a bust at#1 will set the team back years. The team went 0-16 this year which was the worst in NFL history. Even if Stafford is a bust, if you draft good players with the next 4 pick your team will be better. The lions went 0-16 they can't get any worse. Don't take that the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information